Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Looking for a heavier 7x57 bullet

Boolit Buddy

Looking for a heavier 7x57 bullet

Hi All,

I have a Brazilian 1908 7mm that I'm having a tough time getting accurate loads with. The rifle has a very long throat, and a somewhat rough bore. I'd like to try it out with a long, flat-base bullet.

Does anyone know of a 175-ish grain bullet mold in 7mm that seems to work for you, and where I could find one to buy?

Thanks,

8mmFan

Boolit Master
    Noe has some heavy boolit molds. I have a Rcbs 145 grain silhouete mold that works very well in mine. I use it with 25 grains of 4895 and it will do an inch or so at 100 yrds. I am afraid though that a rough bore is your problem. have you slugged the bore to see what dia. boolit you need. I found that seating mine out a bit farther than normal helped accuracy. I just checked the NOE website and they have a 178 and a 181 grain boolit mold. The diameter is the crucial thing.
    Last edited by koehn,jim; 01-05-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    jim

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Jim,

I have not slugged the bore. I will do so and report back. I'll also check out the NOE website--I've never even looked at their molds. I've only ever used LEE molds, and LEE only has a couple of 130's.

8mmFan

Boolit Buddy
    Measure the inside neck of your fired cases. That will tell you how big the neck opens. You want a lead boolit about that size. My Brazilian 1908 7mm uses a boolit sized to .288 to fill the throat.

Boolit Master
    8MMFan,

My M1893, M1895 and M1916 7MM Mausers all like the Lyman #287308, a 168 grain RN cast boolit. I hope this helps.

Adam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    8MMFan,

My M1893, M1895 and M1916 7MM Mausers all like the Lyman #287308, a 168 grain RN cast boolit. I hope this helps.

Adam
    Mine likes this one too, hard to find mold though. Mine is hollow pointed and worked well on a white tail doe this October.

That NOE bullet looks great. RCBS also has a 168 grain bullet in their line up.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I have never slugged a bore, before. But I will with this one as I really, really like the lines and feel of it and I'd like to get it to at least a level of accuracy acceptable for deer hunting and such.

I will work with it using your suggestions and report back. Won't be today as it's my sons' 8-year birthday and I'll be busy (partially with taking him to the rifle range for a bit!). But when I do get to the rifle, I'll not forget to report back.

By the way, Jim, it was a real eye opener to check out those NOE molds with the differing diameters. Thanks for the suggestion! Have a great day (at the range, hopefully) guys!

8mmFan

Banned
    I have an old VZ-24 Mauser in 7X57 that was built for export to South America.

I slugged the bore and found that it measured .288". I ordered this mold from NOE:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...qlc923hh9iq7e4

I gas check it and size it to .290".

It is probably one of my most accurate rifles.

Bullet fit is everything.

Best of luck.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Buddy
    i use the rcbs 168 grain silhouette mold and imr 4227 (22 grains, i think).

Boolit Master
    Both my old Spanish 7mm shoot the 175gr NOE fine.

I bought an RCBS 168gr mold. I just weighted a GC and lubed bullet from it that was made of mostly WW alloy. It weighted out at 182gr. I'd like to find a load that would push it about 1900fps. Nothing wild but nice to shoot. I bought a 1916 Spanish short rifle that is in excellent shape. I haven't done a caste of the bore yet and waiting for some bore casting alloy to get here

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver Shooter View Post
    I bought an RCBS 168gr mold. I just weighted a GC and lubed bullet from it that was made of mostly WW alloy. It weighted out at 182gr. I'd like to find a load that would push it about 1900fps. Nothing wild but nice to shoot. I bought a 1916 Spanish short rifle that is in excellent shape. I haven't done a caste of the bore yet and waiting for some bore casting alloy to get here
    The RCBS cast manual I used to get a deer load. I settled on 30 grains of IMR 3031 which according to them should be giving 1950 FPS or so.

When I get around to it, I plan on experimenting with some others, most likely IMR 4895, but that 3031 load works pretty well.

Banned
    I can send you some to try if you like.

Thanks but I have some coming from Brownells. Is there a method to lower the weight? BHN is about 21.

I tried casting a few of the same mold I mentioned in a previous reply, with a different mix of bits and pieces . Some were some soft lead, I think from a window, the other material were the darkest looking wheel weights I had in the pail. I got a BHN of about 10 but the weight was still at 180gr out of that 168gr mould. Not having any data for that weight bullet I am going with a load of 4350. The starting load for a 162gr in the Lyman book I have. I'll see what signs are apparent on the spent case. Pressure for that starting load with the 162gr is low so I think it should go fine.