Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 gallery loads

Boolit Buddy

45-70 gallery loads

So I've been thinking about some light loads to shoot out of my trapdoor and my sharps just for the heck of it. plus at the price of lead using a .457 round ball is sounding better on the wallet. I mostly just go to the range and have a time with friends and family so something the wife and daughters could have a hoot with sounds more promising everyday. Of course will still load up stuff to reach out and touch someone. Shoot anywhere from 50 to 100 yards and still be accurate. Now I've read 2 or 3 grains of unique to blackpowder but maybe stay away from black on these just because...love my blackpowder but going to try to do smokeless just for ease of use. So not sure but heard put lubed ball with LLA all the way down on top of light load of powder to just get it started and do a light crimp to hold it in place. I've done the 405 with 10gr of unique and it worked very well but cost wise the round ball sounds good. So what have you guys used just for kicks plus it might get me shooting my sharps more ad man do I need that.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Boolit Buddy

4-5-6gr Trailboss behind a RB. Sometimes 10gr Unique behind the same.

I have one of these moulds: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=42_147 10gr Unique makes these alot of fun.

I also had a HBWC swage tool made by a forum member here. It was fashioned after an article I came across in an issue of the Single Shot Rifle Journal. Used to have a copy of that article...if I could find it, I'd post it here. They are fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Have never shot round balls in my 45/70 but light loads of Trail Boss is a kick.

Boolit Master

I’ve loaded a single .490” RB that was sized down to .460” and rolled in alox.
    Shot well but never did any real testing. I’m guessing the bearing surface of the .490” sized down will give better accuracy.
    Oh that was with 5 grains of red dot and the ball seated half of its diameter into the case. Roll crimped.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had far better results using a collar button bullet than round balls.

Boolit Grand Master

Not .45-70 but .44 mag. Marlin. I started out with 0.440" RB's sized to 0.434" and they worked not badly over up to 10 grs. of Unique out to 50 yards or so but accuracy wasn't real good. Some testing of loads and powders might lead to better groups at low to moderate velocity.

I decided to buy an Accurate mould I got Tom to scale down from .45 to .44 ~ the 43-165B. No regrets! It works well for me.

.45-70 has much faster twist than the .44 (1:38") so could be an issue if you are thinking of 100 yard shooting. I think you'd be better off getting a collar button mould or a light boolit like:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-165C-D.png

A little heavier than a round ball but more bearing surface and... it's a boolit!

Longbow

Boolit Master

+1 for the collar buttom mold and 8-10g of Unique.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    +1 for the collar buttom mold and 8-10g of Unique.
    Or trailboss 12-15gr.

I think this would be a neat little slug for that purpose:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-224D-D.png

Boolit Master
    I've a Saeco mold that cast a 250 gr wadcutter that I use in my 45/70s. They cast ar .456 but for shooting at 50 yds they are reasonably accurate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynick39 View Post
    I think this would be a neat little slug for that purpose:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-224D-D.png
    +1^ this, and also this one: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-275R-D.png. Larry Gibson recommended this bullet, which is a copy of the Rapine 460255, over 8gr of Bullseye (no filler.) It's a great load and can be fairly accurate out to 200 or 300 yds. Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    I regularly shoot .457 RB over 9 grains of Unique. Fun, quiet & cheap. Zips right along, too.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8492 copy.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	233400

I loaded some of these little guys. I haven't had a chance to test for accuracy though.
    It's a cool little mould I picked up off the forum. Someone did a really nice job modifying an existing Lyman round ball mould.

6g unique and the 457130 in my trapdoor is about 900 fps.one hole at 25 yards sometimes,under 2" at 50 and about 3-4"at 100 yards.
    very quiet and makes a neat "whooosh" sound as it goes down range.i just tumble bullets in Lee Alox or carnauba wax.

pic is two groups at 25 yards and one at 50.pretty typical for the rifle.

Attachment 233401
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 01-05-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    Iv'e been using 6 grs of unique with the old lyman collar button and noticed that it was position sensitive which surprised me. But if the powder was up against the back of the case it would shoot the same hole at 25 yards. I might have to try some trail boss and see how that works.

Boolit Master
    Are you guys using 6grs of Unique without fillers.

Also intrested in red dot loads.

Boolit Grand Master

I've found both Bullseye and Red Dot to be better for such loads than Unique. As previously mentioned in my TDs I use 8 gr Bullseye under the 460250 Rapine bullet and 6 gr of Bullseye under the Rapine 460210HB bullet. Red Dot does as well with the same charges.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Are you guys using 6grs of Unique without fillers.

Also intrested in red dot loads.
    no filler. And if filler gave me half inch smaller groups it wouldn't be worth the time because it's just a gallery load basically.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8492 copy.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	233400

I loaded some of these little guys. I haven't had a chance to test for accuracy though.
    It's a cool little mould I picked up off the forum. Someone did a really nice job modifying an existing Lyman round ball mould.
    That's a nice looking little boolit. Would you consider sending me a PM with contact info for the guy that did the work?

Boolit Master

I don’t know who did the work unfortunately. I purchased it this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast