MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: BE-86 for Cast 180 Gr 40SW

Boolit Bub

BE-86 for Cast 180 Gr 40SW

I hate to admit it but I haven't been shooting very much cast the last 5 years or so. Since then I've migrated from Unique to BE-86. I ran across a couple of big boxes of some cast .401 at 180 gr in the back of the gun room and want to load them up but am not finding very much (or really any) data on loading BE-86 for cast......Alliant's web site doesn't have any data for cast, and my google-fu searches aren't turning up any cast loads for 40SW. Anyone have any they can share or advice on working up a load from a J-word load?

Boolit Buddy
    My most accurate load with 180gr. lead is 5.3 gr. BE86. This is in a Sig 229 40 cal. I have replaced the slow twist OEM barrel with a Barsto 1 in 16 twist barrel.
    Hope you find the load you want.
    Kirk

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info Kirk, I tried 5.3 gr with a 180 gr commercial cast with traditional lube (shot out of a 4" MP40) and also 5.5 gr with a 180 gr Lee cast with some Eastwood powder coat (shot out of a H&K VP40)....these were at 15 yards off hand and I am super happy with both........thanks for the help it's appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40sw be86 180 g Cast.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	233762

Boolit Buddy
    My pleasure for sure.
    Kirk

Using the Lee 401-175-TC 6 banger mold, my boolets drop at 180g. I cast them by the thousands and shoot them by about 10k/year

I powder coat them and load them to 1.100" COL (cone just about meets the case mouth). In my M&P40 with 4.25" barrel.
    5.6g BE-86 averaged 1003 fps
    6.0g averaged 1014 fps
    6.4g averaged 1042 fps

5.6g is a very pleasant load and what I've settled on. Here's a couple of groups shot at 10 yards standing, 2 handed hold

Boolit Bub
    Need to get some BE-86! That Lee 401-175 is a great bullet. Easy to cast and just a good all around design. I load those with Blue Dot for the 10mm just to watch the fireball!