Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well... looks like I'm out of reloading...

Sure sorry to hear that news.
    Something that might work:
    A old friend told a story of the Doctor telling someone he knew they only had 6 months to live.
    The guy said he refused to pay the Doctor in order to see if he'd give him another couple of years.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I'm not finding the connection between lead and cancer. However I can see where the body dealing with getting rid of lead might be a stressor the doctor wants you to avoid. No different than avoiding Advil in favor or Tylenol to reduce stress on kidneys post surgery. It isn't that Advil is "bad" it's just that it puts more load on certain organs and is a bit more of a blood thinner. Bottom line it is difficult to imagine advising someone to just ignore their oncologist. Getting a second opinion from a different doctor makes sense if the OP suspects bias. However only they are in a position to judge the doctors attitude.

Setting equipment aside and getting actual lead levels tested 6 months apart, and maybe again at a year down the road seems the wisest course. If during 6 months to a year of not casting and reloading your lead levels (actual number) drops a significant amount then you know there is something you should change with your casting and reloading process. If the lead levels remain constant you have a different point of exposure like old lead water pipes in home. Knowing this would be valuable.

Getting someone to take care of some buckets of WW's or even taking them off your hands is a minor step. Getting rid of molds and brass is a much bigger step. Just be sure that dealing with Cancer isn't messing with your perspective too much. Divesting oneself of personal property may make sense in light of health, or may be an emotional response. Won't hurt to take 6 months to assess lead levels and the brass or molds etc. will still have value then that they have now, maybe even more if another panic hits. Nothing to lose by waiting to dispose of gear. Unless you feel that there is possibility that if you don't do it yourself in a timely manner you risk the task of disposal being left to family and you know you will handle it better than they will.

In any event prayers and best wishes for your recovery and good health. Hoping you continue to get a chance to make good memories in the woods and fields.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

REALITY CHECK
    Breathing air, drinking water, and eating stuff grown in or on the ground can/may cause cancer. It all depends on who you ask. Since there is no escape, how you live the rest of your life isn't a real choice. Selling off the tools and supplies of a life long hobby WILL NOT rid you of lead contact. First of all, it is a natural occurring element. Second, your home/reloading/casting area/tools/range, and everything is already contaminated. If you were to move, you would only take it with you, or move into more. No one can guarantee you wont be killed by a drunk driver on the way to see the Dr. No one can make your life decisions but you.
    You ask folks here for wisdom and advice. Make sure your Dr medical advice has no political driven agenda. Be very involved in researching before making this choice. Pray for guidance, as will we.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    J-words should be fine. Start with new brass to eliminate led hanging in it. Unless you have had elevated lead levels I think you ran into an anti gun doc!
    That was my first thought - if your lead level is low, how can reloading affect your health just because there's lead hanging around? I'm NOT trying to be snide or argumentative, just trying to understand.

Just don't point that 20 gauge into the wind when you shoot. You will inhale more lead dust than casting bullets

I just wonder just how bad lead is for your system. As a kid I used to hold .22 rounds in my mouth shooting my single shot .22, been a Plumber for right on 40 years working with a lot of lead pipes, pouring lead joints with the lead in the pot glowing a deep cherry in dark crawl spaces, soldering with lead/tin solder eating my sandwiches with lead covered dirty hands and casting bullets in unventilated basements and I have had my lead count checked several times over the years and it has always been down where it should be.
    I'm knocking on the door at 79 and I worry more about the two pills I take so I can pee and a mild aspirin then the lead I handle casting bullets.

Boolit Master

without a lead test, the doc can get bent. most of your lead absorbtion comes from gun cleaning, and dry tumbling. wear gloves when cleaning, and either wet tumble, or take measures to reduce dust from dry. other than that, and staying out of indoor ranges, lead absorbtion in the body form shooting is minimal.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    Yet another Dr has given me the long face and verified that I can't handle lead anymore due to the increased risks of the cancer returning. Even asking about handling j-words for reloading gets me "the look". So, between all of that. My hands being shaky, and my eyes goin' from bad to worse.... Yeah, I'm pretty well out of reloading. I can still hunt, long as I minimize lead exposure. Mostly looks like it's me back to the old single shot 20 gauge from now on. I started with the old 20, guess it's fittin' that the rest of my time is mostly with her. Guess I'll have to start sortin' and sellin' most of it. I looked in the reloading room and shook my head. Just too overwhelming to start on right now. Got three five gallon buckets of lead on my front porch that I can't lift for the hernias, and can't dig through for the lead. Dunno what I'm going to do there.... Some of it I can't bear to let go, I'll just pack that stuff away in the hopes that someday I'll be able to mess with it again. But the rest. Yeah I think we'll convert the reloading room back to a guest room and office. Heck I think I've still got two unopened jugs of Lars lube in there too.... plus powder.... primers, and I dunno what all...

A little advice for those just starting out reloading. When folks tell you it all starts to breed, and stuff just crawls in through the ducts and you dunno where it will have all come from.... We ain't kiddin'... And it is worth it. Good Lord help you if George starts droppin' stuff in the piles too! Safe reloading is one of the best times I've had in my life this side of a fishin' pole, or bowlin' alley.

So, hopefully before the end of the month I'll try to start posting bits here and there for sale in S&S. Heck if I can get enough out of it maybe I'll be able to buy me a case of them fancy RST paper shotgun shells for spring squirrel season in May. Such a pile to go through...

You know I knew this was comin'... I wanted to fight it... but if it's down to a choice between livin' or dyin' from something I can help prevent... Yeah I'll take the livin'...

Anyway just thought I would share.

God Bless.

GoodOlBoy
    My 2¢
    I would do what you said, "I'll just pack that stuff away in the hopes that someday I'll be able to mess with it again ... Yeah I think we'll convert the reloading room back to a guest room and office."

I would recommend not selling anything, but in regards to these:
    Got three five gallon buckets of lead on my front porch that I can't lift for the hernias, and can't dig through for the lead.
    If you happen to have enough of a stash of ingots, I'd get rid of the buckets of porch lead, assuming it's unprocessed?
    Let someone else deal with hauling it away.
    Good Luck
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    sorry to hear about your health problems

You have to ingest lead like rubbing your eyes, picking your nose, stick your fingers in your mouth or inhale the dust shooting indoors to get it in your blood.

There is an option you can cast a no lead alloy. It will make a lighter bullet than a lead alloy bullet but it will do the same job.

Vit C while chelate the lead but is hard on the gut. Lead damages nerves and gets into the bones. May interfere with treatment but IIRC not a 'carcinogen'.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Sounds like the Doc has an agenda beyond your health or is simply ignorant. I asked my Doc once about a lead test. We discussed my casting and shooting to evaluate my exposure and he said he saw no need to test me. No eating in the reloading room, not a smoker, wash my hands after handling lead, follow all the common knowledge safety practices. More than one doctor giving the same advice without backing it up with facts could just be a case of multiple doctors that don't know how much they don't know.

I feel like the greatest lead exposure is with the polishing media and decapping. I seldom handle spent primers though. There are many alternatives to bare lead if the docs can justify their stance against lead. There's Precision Bullets that are totally encapsulated in a polymer, many sources of powder coated boolits, Berry's completely copper plated bullets that have absolutely no lead exposed and most bullet makers have a fully enclosed FMJ now. There are also the polymer tipped bullets that have no exposed lead.

If the doc told me to avoid lead I would first insist that he justify it with something better than a personal opinion, something like proven science. After that let him explain how fully encapsulated bullets would be a risk. If he says anything about the primers then switch to lead free primers. That eliminates all possible exposures to lead. THEN let him justify his argument again!

Realistically, keeping a fine spirit in a leaded crystal decanter probably has greater risk than our activities.

Best of wishes in your fight against cancer! --David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Without reading all the responses on 3 pages, HERE IS A IDEA. Help some neighbor or kid start reloading. DON'T let thta knowledge waste..... There is some body near that would help our sport and HUNTING in our time of NEED. Just a Thought...!

Boolit Grand Master

Did they somehow link minuscule lead exposure to your health declining? Are your lead levels high? Are they interjecting their own beliefs into your care? I’d have to see some hard proof it was actually harming me.

Thant being said, I hope you’re able to maintain the health you do have and enjoy the 20 for years to come. Prayers sent this morning brother for peace and acceptance.

I truly hate to hear this. Shooting, reloading & casting has been a part of me over 1/2 my life. I'll retire in the near future, and my reloading room is going to be one of my main sources of retreat. And you are correct about how things seem to find their way into your shop and you can't remember when, or how you came by them.

Hopefully, your health will improve and you can still enjoy a lot of the same things you do now. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers friend.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I started melting lead when I was old enough to find out the it would melt. I've cast boolits since the early '70's with real molds. I'm 65 now and still cast and reload when I feel up to it. Within the last ten years I've had several heart attacks and was diagnosed with colon cancer I had two different surgeries and that left me with a very short digestive system and the problems that occur with it. But I still enjoy my hobby. I will suggest that you check into a Cancer Treatment Center of America and see what they have to say about the situation. The last local doctor here in Columbus said that there was no hope for me. I didn't buy that and went to the CTCA and I'm still kicking. They told me that if I didn't have any trace of lung cancer that they could do the surgery. The bioposy showed negative, so they had at it. They left a port in my shoulder for the chemo, and afterwards said it will be there. I DID have them put it in my LEFT shoulder so if I survived I could shoot my rifles.... And believe it or not, every time I had blood drawn they could find no traces of lead....So if you want to consider it, I'd recommend them!
    Last edited by Tom W.; 01-14-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I managed to get my lead back to with in normal ranges. Oct 2018 it was 17. something. Just got my latest results. 9.4. And i been reloading more since the last test. I think my main issue was snacking while working in the loading room. I also wash my hands right after im done.

Boolit Master

I apologize for not responding sooner, I've been under the weather and haven't been doing much online. Until I am over whatever this bug I've caught is I won't be on much. I won't post anything for sale until I can be around to answer questions and be sure I get everything shipped in a timely manner.

Cancer and lead. I've also got hemochromatosis and non-alocholic fatty liver syndrome. Basically the Dr is concerned that with the testicular cancer, and the PTSD, and the blood disorder, and the liver, and the borderline diabetes, and the fibromyalgia, and the arthritis, etc etc that any heavy metal exposure will just add to the pile. He also told me don't wear gold jewelry, etc. At this point it boils down to numbers and percentages, and "studies" have shown that when you combine my whirlwind of ailments and lead (as one of about 30 things I should now avoid) you raise the numbers for an increased chance of return. Part of what has him, and the oncologist, and others spooked is that when I had the cancer I never had a single blood marker for it, and the tumor grew at rates that should put me right at the record books for tumor growth. Heck of a thing to have on the record books. I think I'd rather have the record for jumping the grand canyon on roller skates, but I have weak ankles and I don't do well with heights.

If I'm being completely honest. I'm scared. I'm tired. And I'm hurting. I don't trust my eyeballs, my shaky hands, and my sometimes foggy noodle to do it right anyway. So in the end it's just.... Heck I dunno it's just easier to sell off what I can, keep what little I can't stand to part with, and move forward hoping it's enough to help buy another month worth of meds, or electricity, or whatever.... I'm not going to buy shotgun shells, I don't know if I'll even ever be back up to hunting again. I do still have that old 20, and it would be what I would use if I ever went hunting again. My Social Security Disability case stalled again, my attorneys (who where supposed to be "the best") went bankrupt and didn't even have the decency to notify us other than to turn us over to a public advocacy group in Brooklyn who basically just sent the whole case file to social security and washed their hands of it.

In all honesty most days just getting out of bed is too much to handle. I can fight with the doctors over the lead, but I honestly don't think I could safely handle it anymore anyway. So what's the point. At this point I'm just trying to clean up my life, my house, and everything in it to try to get and stay healthier.

I'm still going to be on the board. I'll still live as vicariously as I can through everybody else, and try not to stir up a stink on my bad days (Yeah, sorry about that one), and hope someday I can get it all back together and headed in the right direction.

Edited to Add: And thank you all for all the supportive replies, and messages. I really do appreciate it! There's a heck of alot of good folks around here still.

God Bless, and One Love.

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, Sorry to hear about all of your health problems. Hope things smooth out for you soon. Good Luck with SS too!

Vendor Sponsor

GoodOlboy prayers will be made for recovery and relief.
    Keep up the good fight
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Very sad to hear GOB. Hope things work out as best they can for you.
    Don Verna

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast