WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Recommendations for a 480 Ruger Mold from Accurate

Boolit Bub

Recommendations for a 480 Ruger Mold from Accurate

Greetings from Boise. I am a brand new caster and I am looking for recommendations on a new mold from Accurate for a 480 Ruger, shot out of a SBH. This is probably a broad question but I am trying to learn. I have settled on a weight of 400 grains, and am considering either a 48-400-F (LFN) or the 48-400-K (SWC Keith style). Other than buying and trying, and getting the right diameter for the throats of my specific gun, can someone offer some direction or guidance. If not either of these two, are there others that you recommend ? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I went with the m&p mold for mine,its the 477-640 with 3 hp pins and a flatnose pin,it drops at 385 with the large hp and ove 400 with the flatnose

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Chad. I'll take a look at that mold. I am partial to Accurate to start.

Boolit Buddy

I'll second what Chad stated. I have the same mold for my .475 Linebaugh.

Boolit Master

Accurate has a nice looking 380 gr WFN I would like to try. The 400 lee works ok for me but wish it casted slightly larger boolits.

I've been using the 400gr Lee mold for years. It works fantastic for me. I cast straight clip-on wheel weights and use Win-296/H-110 powder. I've tried a couple different lubes and most seem to work well. The Lee shoots equally well in my SBH and the Puma lever gun I have in 480. I have an NEI 476-410 mold as well. It works fine, although I have not done as much load work with it as the Lee. I just always find myself using the Lee. That said, NOE makes some great molds and I have a number of them for other calibers. He has a few designs for the 480. I don't have any Accurate molds in my stable, yet.