Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Arisaka type 38 308 feed problems

Boolit Mold

Arisaka type 38 308 feed problems

Hi,
    Hoping some folks here might point me in a direction. Had my Arisaka rebarrel day to 308 win, and having a devil of a time getting the magazine to accept more than 4 rounds without sticking, and having the feed on the right side angle up and left right into the breech face.
    Lmk if you’ve any insight into what needs to be changed, or a good smith that deals with military conversions.
    No value to the rifle save for sentimental, as it was bubba smithed years before it was given to me.
    Thanks
    Mayne

I had an Arisaka 38 rebarreled to 8x57mm years ago and for good feeding I had to relieve the inside action webs above the magazine box so the cartridges could wiggle out a bit. The .308 has less taper than the 6.5 Jap. Mine only works well with one in the chamber and 3 in the magazine. Load 4, chamber 1, commence fire. I used a Dremel with a grinding wheel at first, then sanding drums, then Kratex polishing tips. Mine won't accept milspec ammo(too long), but commercial ammo just fit. The .308 will be a better fit in the 38 magazine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Okay, I suspected that might need to be done, wasn’t sure though. Have you heard of anybody using a modified type 99 follower? Seen mention of this, but no specific info.
    Thank you for your time
    Mayne

I have not heard of that but it might work. My follower needed no work. My neighbor has had it for the last few years; I keep threatening to buy it back but I have a great 8mm already.

Boolit Master
    Mayne,

Why do you need more than four rounds in the magazine? Many SSM rifles only accept 3 rounds in their magazines. What is the problem?

Adam

Boolit Mold
    Don’t need more than 4, but I would like those that are there to cycled reliably ��. What is occurring only happens on the right side of the mag while cycling. Sometimes if it’s the first round to load it’s a 50-50 chance of loading. Most of the time the cartridge will angle up and left driving the tip of the bullet into the breech face on the face’s top left 10 to 11 o’clock range of the face.
    Thanks
    Mayne

This is a crude way of showing the areas to open. Lay two .308 brass in the opening to see what's needed.

Boolit Master
    The Type 38 is designed for a tapered cartridge with a rim.
    The .250 Savage is one that should work.
    The .308 will bind on the shoulders and will bee loose at the rear.
    The best solution would be to straighten out the feed rails with a milling machine. Then you need to make a new magazine box with less taper so the front end is wider.
    EDG

Boolit Mold
    Thanks! Will do. I’m going to purchase a spare magazine box or two just in case! But I will start with the feed lip and go from there.
    Mayne

Cut the action feed rails only if needed. I didn't have to on mine. Too much and you'll have to rechamber to .300 WSM