Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Some fine work from "America's Master Gunmanker"

Some fine work from "America's Master Gunmanker"

So when hunting this year I went out with my G2 and it had the rimfire firing pin set in the hammer and when I came back (having never shot it) I noticed that it had fallen out! I've never shot the thing in rimfire mode ever. They refused to mail me that part, so I decided to send it back...

So I call up S&W, wait 20 min on hold, and they give me a label and I send it back for warranty repair. BIG MISTAKE. I get the thing back 5 weeks later, and instead of driving a new pin into the hole and loctiting or expoxying it in there, they replaced the entire hammer assembly with some off the self part. It is visibly different, and what was a decent trigger pull before, is now ridiculous. While not excessively heavy or terribly creepy, after you squeeze the trigger and the hammer falls there is this pronounced vibration--a TWANNNNGGGGGG. Annoying, and needless to say this is going to ruin fine accuracy. And isn't that the whole point?

Does anybody know why this is happening? Is it because something that is supposed to be dampening the hammer spring isn't? I've had two G2s and a Contender and none of them have done this.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same problem as you. I sent mine back a second time with a long letter explaining everything that I was unhappy with and what I expected them to do. Rewrote the letter multiple times so as not to "hurt their feelings" with how I felt about their QC. I got back my pistol like it was when it was new. Great trigger, same style hammer. My wife has taught me to "tactfully" tell someone "where to go" when they need "guidance".

Boolit Master

Is there a dealer in you area authorized to provide S&W service? If so, I'd start there. If not...dunno where you are in 'Southern Indiana' but there's an S&W distributor (O'Hearns) in Danville, IL. Also, while I'm not certain Tom's still doing 'factory' work, TK Custom in Thomasboro, IL used to be authorized for S&W warranty repair.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

It seems more and more with gun manufacturers, we the buyers are the "quality control", we get the firearms, test them out, and have to send them back for modifications and repairs.

A lot of the firearms we buy are simply "kit guns", that we have to polish, adjust, and modify in order to get working properly.

I bought two different models of .22 Hornet rifles from the same American manufacturer, and both were failures when trying to extract cases 100% of the time.

Bought a CZ rifle in .22 Hornet, and it is outstanding in all respects. Not made in America, but I don't give rat's behind. It is truly a quality piece of work, worth every penny.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Super Moderator

I had a similar problem with my Contender (not G2). Hammer spring broke, so I figured I would just let them fix it under warranty. When I got it back, the hammer spring was fixed but the trigger was now VERY heavy. These pistols are relatively easy to work on, so I fixed that myself utilizing a Bic lighter flint spring. I won't be sending mine back for factory service any more, unless I absolutely have to.

Very sad because Thompson Center was fantastic before they were absorbed by S&W.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shortlegs View Post
    I had the same problem as you. I sent mine back a second time with a long letter explaining everything that I was unhappy with and what I expected them to do. Rewrote the letter multiple times so as not to "hurt their feelings" with how I felt about their QC. I got back my pistol like it was when it was new. Great trigger, same style hammer. My wife has taught me to "tactfully" tell someone "where to go" when they need "guidance".

Does she give lessons? Sometimes I'll just blurt out " You gotta be ******** me!" before I know it.....
    Last edited by Minerat; 01-05-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: language filter bypass
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    It seems more and more with gun manufacturers, we the buyers are the "quality control", we get the firearms, test them out, and have to send them back for modifications and repairs.
    Well, seems most people have unreasonably high expectations on consumer grade guns made to a price point. There's going to be cost-cutting somewhere. I frequently read fit-and-finish and accuracy complaints on $350 rifles that still meet ~MOA accuracy. Seriously. A Bartlein or Krieger barrel blank alone almost run as much let alone the cost of a smith to fit the blank.

At $600+ I still have complaints on the CZ rifles I own, though they improve a LOT with use over time.

My G2 was $600 new. The thing came with a cracked grip and the rimfire pin fell out. There is no excuse for this at this price point, and the way I look at it, it shouldn't be made at all unless it is made right. We're talking about firearms here...

It's really surprising to me that S&W has been bad about this, but it is still better than old T/C was. Those guys in NH kept my buckmark rifle (which was full auto because their trigger didn't work right) for a year before admitting they couldn't fix it and had to destroy it. That's how I came to own Contenders in the first place...the only firearm I didn't want. I grew to like them. I broke down and replaced the hammer spring with a Kurt Bellm kit. Problem solved. It seems you need to do everything yourself these days! And on your dime.