Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mossberg's First Pistol in One Hundred Years

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Mossberg has had a plant in Eagle Pass, Texas for a long time now. I believe that is where this pistol comes from. It is where my 464 was made.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't think of a reason to buy this pistol at this price point considering all of the options out there.

Does Mossberg think they can compete with SW or Springfield for that matter given the headstart they have? I'm perplexed as to what Mossberg is thinking putting this out there at this time.

I do find a couple of things interesting about it. The decision to go with a flat trigger is novel. The takedown method would appeal to those that are leary about pulling the trigger to break the gun down. The grip design being partial instead of full textured and the option of tritium sights indicates a standard sight cut in the slide for putting your preferred sights on it. None of these entice me to buy one to replace my single stack Shield or any of the other plastic 9's I have.
    Last edited by jonp; 01-11-2019 at 05:01 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I can't think of a reason to buy this pistol at this price point considering all of the options out there.
    Good point. We may see the street price come down very quickly, and if it is low enough, it will sell.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    For you old cats- wasn't the 4 barrel "Brownie" offered less than a century ago? The S&W Shield has taken this slot at my house already but hooray for Mossberg.
    Mossberg Brownie was produced from 1920-1932 and sold for $5 postpaid.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

If they get the real world price to under $300.00 and it doesn't have any major problems, I could see this pistol being very competitive with Taurus. Being able to use Glock 43 mags is a huge plus. If I got an absolute steal of a deal on one, I would be willing to try it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I saw a video on this gun. Interesting design. Not sure about the decision to jump into a crowded field but I'm not an MBA. I have a soft spot for Mossburg from using a bolt action .410 as a squirrel gun in my youth. I wish them well.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Anybody seen the internals of it yet? I would like to see how Glockish it really is.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I saw a video on this gun. Interesting design. Not sure about the decision to jump into a crowded field but I'm not an MBA. I have a soft spot for Mossburg from using a bolt action .410 as a squirrel gun in my youth. I wish them well.
    I shot a lot of rabbits and partridge with a bolt Mossberg 410 when I was a kid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    You shouldn't be taking apart guns or handling them at all if you're not capable of convincing yourself they're unloaded.
    If it's their opinion that after checking that a gun is unloaded, dry firing it is somehow unsafe there's something missing there.
    almost what, 8 out of every 10 fire arms related accident happened because and ill quote, "I knew it was unloaded so I don't know how I shot my tv doing snap shooting drills"

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Mossberg Brownie was produced from 1920-1932 and sold for $5 postpaid.
    Gracias Gato Viejo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KY Gun Company made a video about it, including a field strip. Looks like the trigger mech is straight up Glock. This may be a good thing, copy something that has been proven for decades instead of start over with a new design and many accompanying problems. If the price gets under $300.00, I could see people who want a Glockish pistol on the cheap buying these.

Boolit Grand Master

Being able to use Glock 43 mags is a huge plus.

I watched a video by the company about the pistol and read their website. No mention of them using Glock Mags. Where did this information come from?

Boolit Grand Master

the aesthetics are pleasing to my eye. I wouldn’t mind trying one out but I don’t see it replacing my smith M&P or XDS or even 1911 for carry. Perhaps they’re wanting to slot in somewhere between Taurus and the others price wise.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Being able to use Glock 43 mags is a huge plus.

I watched a video by the company about the pistol and read their website. No mention of them using Glock Mags. Where did this information come from?
    Most of the online reviews mention this fact. I don't think Mossy is going to advertise it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123