Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cutting Off Antlers

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Cutting Off Antlers

I’m not sure where to ask this question, so I will try here.

I have a caribou head mount that I want to ship. Because of the size, I need to cut off the antlers. Of course I want to remount them again.

I plan to use a metal cutting hack saw. Does anyone have experience with this? How close to the skull should I cut? Anything else I should know?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    not sure what a taxidermist would want
    but I would cut as close to skull as you could
    under the bur of the antler at the junction of the skull
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m not sure where to ask this question, so I will try here.

I have a caribou head mount that I want to ship. Because of the size, I need to cut off the antlers. Of course I want to remount them again.

I plan to use a metal cutting hack saw. Does anyone have experience with this? How close to the skull should I cut? Anything else I should know?

Thanks
    Call a taxidermist before you saw that way you don"t ruin the skull /caribou are different ! If you don"t do those mounts on a regular basis ask for measuring points ect ,I had a taxidermist screw up mine who had never done one and had to get it redone (angles/width)wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    If you do end up cutting them from the skull, make sure to create witness marks that match the skull to the orientation of the antlers. Takes the hassle out of deciding how to orient them.

Boolit Grand Master

I won’t be doing this until summer, but will probably contact a taxidermist. I’m afraid they’ll say bring it in, but I have a transportation problem with it’s size. I’m not sure if right next to the skull would leave enough depth for a mounting screw hold onto. I guess I’m hoping someone with taxidermist experience would have some advice.

When my 10 point was mounted the Taxidermist had made a vertical cut into the skull behind the antlers, some 2 to 3 inches, made about a 4" deep cut.

Then a horizontal cut from the front, leaving a 1/4 circle of the skull. He then used that skull, using long sheet rock screws to secure the horns to the form. Like 6 of them from different angles into the wood core of the foam forum. All had to be fitted of course.

For a boo, those puppy's are big, I can see they might have to be shipped and mounted individual. Just remember, you can always take material off, but adding it back on takes some real magic.

Boolit Master
    Start behind the antlers with your saw & you want to come out through the eye sockets.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

I happened to see a few moose mounts and as best as I can remember, the antlers screwed to a stub left on the head. It looked like there were metal inserts, with male and female threads respectively. I now wish I had taken a better look.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    For the amount it would cost to remount make a 2x4 frame around it and staple cardboard around it and ground ship it. I received a wild boar head years ago like this. Shipped and arrived perfectly. Probably $75/100 or less to ship VS $500/600 remounted. If ups or fed ex won't do it you can always find contractors on line that will haul it with their semi trucks. I've had cars shipped for $600.

If you have to take it apart I removed one of my whitetail racks from a mount. All it was connecting the horns was about the same thickness of skull sawed holding it together. I would think a big animal like that the horns are separately screwed in.

Or you can always put it in an UBER
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-04-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Banned

cut it in half, the skull from nose to back of skull.

if he were looking at you cut right down the middle. one antler on one half of the skull, the other antler on the other half.

easy enough to piece together the skull.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If you have to take it apart the skull splits down the middle. It is connected by I would guess cartilage. I have had them come apart by boiling way too long making European mounts. It will fit back together like a jigsaw puzzle. That way the horns are separated if the taxidermist didn’t already do so.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Taxidermists in this area cut them off, and fit a screw attachment to put the antlers back on. A full head mount of an elk is difficult to get in a house otherwise.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance

As others have said, cut the skull from behind the rack to the eye sockets, then vertically in the center to separate if necessary for shipping.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Taxidermists in this area cut them off, and fit a screw attachment to put the antlers back on. A full head mount of an elk is difficult to get in a house otherwise.
    This is what I was was thinking about. Sounds like what I saw on a moose mount. Makes a lot more sense to me than cutting into the skull or messing with the hide and fur. I just wish I knew how far from the skull to cut the antlers.

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest talking with your Taxidermist and getting his input. They are individuals and have their favorite methods. My Taxidermist buddy did not like the way an outfitter caped out a few of our deer and I got him to show me how to do it. He even had a few heads set aside for horn or skull mounts that he let me practice on. Larger animals may require special considerations different from Deer.

Oh yeah, Congratulations on taking a trophy worthy of being mounted!