Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Ed's red.

Boolit Master

Ed's red.

I just got into using Ed's red. Only have done after an outing cleaning. Very happy with it so far. What are the limitations of it? Such has lead fouling copper build up ect ect.

Boolit Grand Master
    It does general cleaning very well. Lead & copper might need additional efforts. I use a "Lead Away" cloth for serious lead and janitorial strength ammonia for copper. Ed's Red cleans and lubes, but I wouldn't use it for long term rust preventative.

I really like it as a general cleaner. The oil version of it is very good too.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

My first experience with Ed's Red was some years ago in an attack on revolvers defended by years of lead accumulation. I quickly found that an initial soak of a few minutes appeared to get right under the lead and allow it's easy removal with brushes and aluminum screen bore patches.

Since then, it's been my only bore cleaner and gun wipe. The lanolin fraction makes it a fine finger print repellant and rust preventive.

I shoot lead almost exclusively, so have little experience with using ER on copper fouling.

Banned
    I shoot jacketed bullets in BR comp. A shooter friend gave me a recipe for making bore cleaner using the old GM Top Engine cleaner as the base, then added a certain amount of kroil and 28% ammonia. Can't complain since I've been using it for a couple decades. So, why couldn't you add some ammonia to the mix to make it work on copper too?

Have been using Ed's Red as my "do-all" cleaner for many years. Works well on handguns and shotguns. Powder residue, plastic wad fouling, lead fouling yield to it. I use more specific cleaners for copper- JB bore paste and Sweet's 7.62.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies.

I've been using it for over 20 years. It works great as a cleaner but it's not to be used as long term rust prevention. When I make a batch I always separate out some for oil (50/50 ATF/Kerosene) I use it as a gun oil and barrel coat but if you leave your firearms sit for more than say 3 months...reapply.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I go through a lot of it as a general penetrating oil around the farm. It works very well and the price can’t be beat.
    As a gun cleaner it seems to work quite well but I don’t generally have leading problems and shoot very little jacketed.
    I add 1 bottle of synthetic chain saw oil to a gallon. This doesn’t thicken it up and I believe helps with long term lubrication.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy

Lots of useful recipes and info on father frog’s pad website

Use google to find it as he seems to prefer visitors to refrain from publishing a link.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

I have the original write up from Ed himself.(1995)..if interested. I believe its already on the forum someplace.

redhawk

Eds_Red.txt

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I used this for kerosene. Didn't realize it was a substitute until after i mixed it.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Str...allon/21140945