Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication PBcastco

Thread: Greased Wad in Case????

Greased Wad in Case????

Over on ASSRA I read about the old-time accuracy bugs loading greased wads in their cartridges. In one thread, "Lube Formulas", member Sendaro reports that Harvey Donaldson practiced this - even in modern smokeless cartridges, if I read correctly. Apparently others from the single-shot era did as well, borrowing from their experience in black powder.

On a slightly more modern note, in E.H. Harrison's, "Cast Bullets" (NRA, 1979), J.J. Larson reports excellent accuracy in his .30-06 handloads by placing 2-3 grains of lithium grease over a 1-1.5 grain Dacron fiber wad. This, in lieu of loobing the bullet.

I know the topic of fillers and how to use them safely (and unsafely) has been addressed extensively here and elsewhere, so I'm not asking for a rehash of this topic.

What's got me curious is the use of grease, either in the wad or on top of it. Does anyone here do this with cast bullets? If so, please consider sharing your experience.

I'm not sure it's anything I'd ever try, but then again I never expected I'd run the Cheat Canyon in an open canoe either.

Boolit Grand Master

While not exactly grease in the strictest sense. Some paper patched shooters use this set up. charge of black powder, a .060 stiff wad ( veggie fiber, gasket material, cork, ldpe), a grease coolie made from bullet lube a thin card wad .020-.030 ( fiber or playing card) then a couple tracing paper wads.

In a bottle necked case I think it would be preferable to keep everything wads lube and bullet in the neck if possible. The dacron and grease would function below the neck. But how well it seals the grease from the powder charge I question.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    No, I do not use grease below my boolit.
    But on my 45-70 plain base I put a card wad
    made out of milk carton.
    Not my idea, I read it in one of my shooting books.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin