MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Not very impressed with a heritage 22 revolver.

Boolit Master
    I haven't commented on this thread because I don't have one. I am one of the fine fit and finish types,just so you know. I had a SW M617 start doing that due to the junk Fed 555 I was shooting. They leaded the first inch of barrel to the point a cleaning rod would not pass. That stopped when I lubed each one before loading, did I mention I am frugal. That is a possibility with these, build up leading, then "pass" it like a kidney stone and do better a while. The shot loads could be leading as well, don't know as I have not used the figure ones in decades. My real suspicion is that the timing and lockup are no better than the overall build quality and the generously dimensioned throat and forcing cone are their "fix". If so the bullets will strike the rifling at random angles and exit the barrel the same way. The base will Not be square to the crown and it will shoot like the crown is bad, really bad! When the high pressure gasses exit one side first, it tips the bullet leading to the keyholes in extreme cases. Could explain the shorts and colibri shooting better, less muzzle pressure to act on the bullet. I also suspect their "target market" is quite satisfied with a gun that goes bang every time. I am not throwing stones, they design and build to their market and that drives a price point. Just wanted to offer some thoughts on what could be causing the keyholes.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I also suspect their "target market" is quite satisfied with a gun that goes bang every time
    I suspect that you are absolutely right!

I looked at my bore with a cheap bore scope from work. Before cleaning it looked pretty bad for the first inch or so of rifling. As I scrubbed it with a bore brush, it seemed to feel a bit gritty in that area, but cleaned up fine. Close up, the gaping "forcing cone" (if you can call it that) is even more ugly. I have a hard time understanding how mine shoots as well as it does. I'll keep fiddling with it each time I go out, see if I can figure out any rhyme or reason to the occasional tumbling bullet. It feels like it locks up pretty solid.

I paid less for it that a nice dinner out, for some people. Not for me, of course, because I'm cheap, but I've sure seen friends and family spend a lot more on less. For something usable to fiddle with, I still don't regret buying it.

Boolit Master
    One way to make the price point is generous in process dimensions, the stackup yields lots of average guns. It also allows some very bad ones to be assembled, some parts that are just barely big enough to make spec, some that are almost too big but still "ok". At the same time there will be some that come out quite good, dimensionally comparable to Ruger or SW. They will shoot well, you may have one of those. Tighter specs cost more but give better uniformity of the final produce, looser specs yield much lower cost and a good bit of varation between any two examples. They are what they are.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Oh, I can guarantee it's in no way comparable to a S&W or Ruger, dimensionally or otherwise, other than it shoots bullets.

For example, it has no cylinder gap. Literally none at all, but there is enough end shake that the cylinder still turns just fine. It seems like they took all the manufacturing rules about about making a good revolver and threw them out the window, and re-engineered it to figure out how to make the absolutely cheapest one that would function tolerably well.

I think you hit the nail on the head, rking22, in that these guns are not made for us, the firearms enthusiast who knows and appreciate quality guns, but rather to mass market to the "goes bang" crowd.

To be honest, I don't really know why I like the dang little thing. The more I look at it, the more I realize it really is a cheaply made, junky thing. Maybe I'm just a little like that Hickok45 video. I didn't expect much from something so cheap and ugly, but it does actually seem to work fairly well, for what it is.

Boolit Master
    Yea one would imagine, its alot easier to make a pistol if you do not have to worry about lining things up. So what if the chambers are drilled straight, just put a gaping forcing cone in, problem solved. Every other revolver the bullet is already in the rifling before the base leaves the throat. Get the little bit of gas thru the cylinder gap. Heritage, the bullet is in free flight for a good inch, the gases blowing past it. Just like the poor accuracy out of those 45colt/410 chambers. Entirely possible a 22 lead 22 bullet with zero spin will start to yaw in that inch of gap. Shallow forcing cone, big problems, long deep one, just jams it in. Bullet comes out the end.

Same as the overly heavy hammer spring, to overcome the poor internal workmanship. It was a bit surprising how heavy duty the hand was compared to something like my Black hawk. One in the Ruger almost feels dainty compared to the heritage.

Its a gun, it goes bang, maybe accurate with right ammo. Learned my lesson, won't invest in another. Save up for a better brand.

Banned

same here with ....

I still like cheap guns. I also like expensive guns but I don't have near as many of those.

But then I guess I really don't try to compare the cheap ones to the good ones. It don't fly.

But for a range toy to take someone else to the range. I'd rather start them with one of my cheap guns. If they drop it I'm not going to cringe so much. Once they gain some proficiency, show they can align sights and hit what they are aiming at I may bring out the Ruger's.

To me they have a place, great beater gun to take on a fishing or canoe trip. Would not do either with the Ruger.

What that place is to you is up to you. It could be left in the LGS or be a constant companion.

A perfect piece of hand crafted machinery it is not. But your not paying for that either.

Banned

cheap guns are typically best for being what they are - cheap. a heritage .22lr rough rider revolver that's good for minute-of-large-watermelon consistent hits at 10 yards might be someone's idea of "good accuracy". others would strongly disagree. to each their own.

My cousin's son got one a few years ago and we all shot it at deer camp and it would roll fans fine. He has taken more than a few skunks and dillos with it.
    It's never seen a paper target and I told his dad to keep them away from it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    I have become such a poor shot that there is no way I could tell apart the accuracy between the Rough Rider and a Colt. Truth is that I can't manage to get a 4" group at 50 yards with a decent rifle.

Boolit Master

Traffer:
    Have you considered mounting a scope or red dot on your firearms?
    My eye sight has definitely declined to the point where optics are no longer an option, but a necessity. I mounted a red dot (Vortex Sparc II) on my Hi Standard Double Nine. Now, I can enjoy the aspect of hitting the bulleye.
    Sorry fellas for being off topic.
    Regards

Boolit Master

The cheap guns I liked best were surplus. I miss the days of $50 Mosins and Turk Mausers, $100 Tokarevs, Makarovs, CZ52s, Ishapore Enfields, Nagant revolvers, etc., and those were all in this century. Going back a little further some were even better, but I’m sure a lot of you all remember the days.

Trouble is, back then I barely had the $50 or $100 to spend. Timing is everything...

Boolit Master

Twenty bucks for a surplus store 1911. But I was welding for 3.00 per hour. Lol

Boolit Master

Middle of last year, I payed 3.99 for an avacado. We have definately regressed.

Boolit Master

That’s pretty good, a 1911 for a day’s wages! You’ve been buying guns a little longer than I have!

I guess it can still be done though. When I get called out for overtime work I could buy a cheap 1911 for a day’s wages, so maybe things haven’t changed all that much.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Traffer:
    Have you considered mounting a scope or red dot on your firearms?
    My eye sight has definitely declined to the point where optics are no longer an option, but a necessity. I mounted a red dot (Vortex Sparc II) on my Hi Standard Double Nine. Now, I can enjoy the aspect of hitting the bulleye.
    Sorry fellas for being off topic.
    Regards
    Yes indeed. I have optics for the 22 and because of the kindness of the folks here I now have optics for my Handi Rifle also. HOWEVER. Not only is my eyesight shot, my nervous system is messed up from illness surgery and pain. When I said I couldn't get better than a 4" group at 50 yards that was with a 22 rifle and a 3-9 scope.

Boolit Master

Traffer:
    I understand sir.
    Our minds say go, our bodies say whoa!
    All the best to you sir.

Mine is going to point shooting land. You don't need sights if you can't steer the bullets with them:-/

Boolit Master

I’m curious about what Heritage will have to say about it. They sold you a revolver, not a shotgun.

Banned
    I bet they will take it back and fix it. They are actually pretty good about that. I don't mean change the cylinder and forcing cone specs but make sure it won't keyhole like that and at least shoot pretty straight. They took mine back because I complained about blemishes in the finish of the receiver. They refinished it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast