Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Not very impressed with a heritage 22 revolver.

Boolit Master

Not very impressed with a heritage 22 revolver.

Bought one for my son, he was about my age when I got a 22 revolver. Went with the birdhead grip as he liked it better,then ended up putting one on my black hawk.

Issue is its not very accurate, tried several ammos, all the same. It came with a 22mag cyl, but huge gaping throats. A cast 80gr I use in my AR flops around in the throats. The LR is a better, but not much. Then it has this weird forcing cone. Not a real shallow one, w 11deg angle. But more like a cone, it will swallow most of a loaded 22lr before hitting rifling, so if you measure its like a judge with over an inch of free bore before it starts to spin. And likely canted as it come out of the throat and hits that 1/2 of nothing before the rifling.

For my son do doubt he will get to worked up over accuracy so long as it will hit a can. But not very impressed with it. Plus the stupid safety. May trade it for a better Ruger.

Boolit Master
    Every time I pick up a Heritage,, I find myself comparing it's workmanship to a Ruger. And so far,, I've never had one impress me enough to buy one.
    I know some folks can't afford a Ruger,, but with the cost of a Heritage,, as compared to a little careful and patient shopping,, a Ruger can be found closer to what you'd spend on a Heritage. ESPECIALLY if you are willing to accept a shooter grade over a new looking gun.

Boolit Master

I bought one a while back because it was cheap, and a friend of mine (a serious, die-hard hunter) kept bragging about his and how accurate it was.

I wouldn't compare it to an actual quality firearm, but compared to junk guns like a Jennings or an RG it's far above that class. The safety is ugly, and I also noticed that the forcing cone is this massive gaping funnel, but it seems decent for plinking at shorter ranges.

I should have known that my friend's standards of accuracy are different from mine. If he can hit a tin can thrown halfway across the yard most of the time, that's accurate enough for him. I think a Ruger is in a whole class above Heritage, but if I was comparing the two directly I would be seriously disappointed with the Heritage. I paid $130 for it, and around here used Single Sixes go for double that, at least.

Mine is well worth the $100 it cost. It rides in the trunk of my Mule 24/7/365 and I can hit with it. It's definitely not in the same league as my Single Six, but it does work. No convertible models here.

Boolit Master
    I bought one many years ago that shot good but fit and finish was ****,i kept it about 10 years before giving it to a friend but for sure want compare to my worst ruger

Boolit Master

My brother still has mine I paid 65.00 new 35 years ago and then sold to him for like 40.00. He swears by it and I wish I would have kept it. Of course Taurus took over Heritage so don't know.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    I bought one 2 years ago from field & stream ( long before dicks instituted their current policy, I no longer deal with them) on the Friday after Thanksgiving. $99.00, with the 22 mag cylinder and a one year membership to the N. R. A. (Which I added to my current membership). All for the $99.00 price. I picked it with the intention of using it to teach my granddaughters to shoot pistols. It shoots 3/4” to 1” groups at 25 yards. I take rats , tree rats, and any other pests that need to be dispatched at 35/40 yards. Now it ain’t no Ruger and It ain’t no tax driver. The fit & finish, for a cast gun certainly isn’t the worst I’ve seen. My granddaughter loves shooting it! She can regularly hits can at 10 yards. I’ve put well over 3000 rounds through it with multiple different types of ammunition. I could not be happier! It was well worth the money I spent! And the best part, if the barrel falls off, I drop it off cliff, or in the Atlantic Ocean, tomorrow. Who cares! I paid $99.00 for, in essence, 2 guns and a one year membership to the NRA. I figure I could buy about 6 Heritage guns before I could buy one Ruger. It’s more than exceeding my expectations!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    My brother still has mine I paid 65.00 new 35 years ago and then sold to him for like 40.00. He swears by it and I wish I would have kept it. Of course Taurus took over Heritage so don't know.

We’re did you here that Taurus took over Heritage? Last I herd Heritage arms is still Heritage arms and they have one plant and it’s in Miami Florida.

Boolit Master
    Well it is better than the one I was given at his age. One of those german clunkers. Back of the cylinder all beat up from the hammer dropping out of time. It broke once, I replaced an internal part, then something else broke, finally it was stolen.

Just surprised at the forcing cone in the heritage, like nobody at the company has ever seen another revolver in their life. it hits the target at least, just not something your going to get much range out of. And guess the 22mag cyl is worthless as loose as the throats are. Only way to get the birds head was with both cyl.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Taurus USA picked up Heritage about 2 years ago. If you go to Taurusarmed.net and read thru you will find verification. Maybe even on Taurususa site.

I got mine 22 years ago in Brookings SD, pawn shop. Got my father in law to come fill out the paperwork for it.

I'll be honest, I struggled with it for 20 years. I WANTED it to shoot. But with the .22lr cylinder it just never would group well. Then one day for giggles i put the .22 mag cylinder in.

What a difference!. 6 shots in less than 1.5 inches instead of the normal 5-6" scatter.

And guests I had at the range totally loved it. From the basketball sized ball of flame on firing, the compression wave of air from that wave in your face, the noise. And the fact that it put them exactly where I wanted them at 20 feet.

This gun in one range trip went from the worst of all my pistols to a solid #3. And yeah its a ruger its behind.

Hard to compare a 150$ Heritage with a 400+ plus ruger. Not apples to apples IMO.

Anyway mine is getting a lot more use. I just stocked up on some .22mag. I have been shooting up my father in laws old stock he gifted me. Save the fresh stuff.

I have got a grandaughter, she is 5, and she is bold and brassy. And one day she is going to get her eyes opened, and hopefully learn to listen to grandpa on the same day.
    But that day is not today. When she's ready. We'll be waiting.

I’ve got 2 of them. You get what you pay for from Heritage. They’re fit and finish is sub par and accuracy may not be comparable to a match grade pistol but for plinking in the backyard with the kids I can’t think of a better way to spend $100!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    Taurus USA picked up Heritage about 2 years ago. If you go to Taurusarmed.net and read thru you will find verification. Maybe even on Taurususa site.
    I did not know that thanks for the info

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one last year for a few reasons. Cheap, wanted to have a single action (cowboy looking revolver), just to be used as a plinker, and cheap. I got the 6 1/2 barrel version with adjustable sights, also with both 22LR and 22 Mag cylinders, no issues. It's not a fancy tack driver nor did I expect it to be at $135. It does what I need it to do. I also have a Taurus 9 shot 22LR double action revolver I got inna trade years ago. Very accurate and a lot of fun. I can hit 20oz bottle sized targets at 50yrds with either all day long free hand. That's plenty for a pistol. Any more, and I'll use a rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    We’re did you here that Taurus took over Heritage? Last I herd Heritage arms is still Heritage arms and they have one plant and it’s in Miami Florida.
    Taurus has taken over Heritage arms according to
    https://www.taurususa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=41

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    if it has a magnum barrel itll shoot better with the 22 mags. Otherwise youll have the same accuracy as shooting a 32 sw long in a 38 special barrel.

Although wonder sometimes on their center fire handguns

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    if it has a magnum barrel itll shoot better with the 22 mags. Otherwise youll have the same accuracy as shooting a 32 sw long in a 38 special barrel.

Although wonder sometimes on their center fire handguns
    Is this because of size of bullet? Twist? .22 magnum projectile's are same as .22 LR ?

I've owned one. I got a buddy that has owned several, they always make trade fodder then he buys another. I've generally had a single six all the time I've been gunning. There is no comparison really. A Ruger will last a lifetime of use whereas a heritage won't. How long it will past is anybodies guess.

Well mine is 22 years old, still in good shape.

But you have to remember that you can buy 3 or 4 of those Heritage single sixes for what a single ruger will cost you.

Ruger will have better sights, good fit and finish. All depends on what you are looking for.

When I was a young lad that .22mag cylinder gave me the courage to go camping alone out in the wild north woods. No way I could have afforded a Ruger.

I'll never forget the night I was camped on an island with my canoe, had a hammock rigged. About Midnight Tree's started fallng, BIG trees, noisily, and only some 25 yards away. A single pop bought me some 3 hours of sleep.

Then I wake up hearing something breathing and snorting 10 feet from my hammock.
    This one really freaked me out. Then I heard crunching chewing noises. Put a round straight up and in the muzzle flash I see the worlds most suprised doe, standing 8 feet away calmly browsing pine tips. That one flash and she was gone. Built up the fire, sat there shivering for an hour. Eventually got some more sleep.

Not sure who was more scared, me or the deer.

Experiences like that one can be pivots in a persons life. Giving him the courage to do anything, try anything. Without it what would he be?

I owe that doe. She taught me that no matter how scary it is, how bad it sounds. Reality is normally much less imposing. And that she was more afraid of me than I was of her.

I think we need to send more boys out into the wilds alone with a canoe and a cheap pistol. I think it would be good for the country.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Is this because of size of bullet? Twist? .22 magnum projectile's are same as .22 LR ?
    22lr, and 22mag are different sized bullets, and should have different sized bores.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast