Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Automag is back

Boolit Master

44 Automag is back

Anybody hankering for the Auto Mag is in luck. A new copy is making the pistol in South Carolina.
    http://www.automag.com/
    Leadmelter
    MI

ADMIN

$3500 for a complete pistol.
    I thought it was cool until I got to the price.

I thought $2500 was way too much for an original last time I saw one for sale back when I was single and not married long enough to have kids in high school. Always had hoped that with CNC the price would come down so cheapskates like myself could get one. Already have a set of case forming dies!

Boolit Master
    yeasmall batch MFG drives the cost up I would rather have a $4K side by each 28 ga shotgun....��

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    yeasmall batch MFG drives the cost up I would rather have a $4K side by each 28 ga shotgun....��
    28 bore........I would settle for one of the Ithaca 37s allegedly available these days.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

I have always wanted an auto mag.
    Maybe there's a chance now.

I had 2 brand new 44 Auto mags back in 1972. I had gotten a A.Fox SxS 16g and a LGS wanted
    it very bad. I had no interest in auto mags at the time. Anyway got them on the deal with some
    other new guns that he considered sleepers at the time. I sold both of these guns for $250@
    which was probably about wholesale at the time. This was in the days that a new Colt 1911 was
    $100. It's all 20/20 hind sight.

Boolit Grand Master

About 2 years ago I watched a 475 wildey sell for $3500.00 at a local aution. There were 5-6 clips and factory ( wildey loaded) ammo there they sold these off separate. The gun had the manual and card board box no presentation case and 1 clip. I had been watching them sell on different sites for $1600-$2000 with extra clips, presentation walnut box, cleaning kit and sometimes cases ammo and dies. Its amazing what an auction does to people.

After watching the breakage during my Sillywet days and bowling pin days - no thanks.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    $3500 for a fairly modern design and unique caliber application and people are complaining. BUT, a lot of folks don't even seem to think twice about paying that and more for a copy of a 110 year old design with rather mundane calibers. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    28 bore........I would settle for one of the Ithaca 37s allegedly available these days.

A gauge is a measure in the diameter of a shotgun barrel that is equal to how many lead balls will fit into the bore that make up a pound. Thus, 12ga, takes twelve balls to make a pound. 20ga, twenty balls will make up a pound, etc. Except .410, that is measured in inches and is a bore, not a gauge.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

To resurrect an older thread, I'm on the list for one of those new models - paid in full.

In the meantime, I have a TDE 6.5" model which landed in my lap on Wednesday - have the Starline brass, dies and 240gr (Hornady XTP) bullets so I'm gonna crank out some loads this weekend. Still, being a caster it makes me wonder whether anyone has used lead boolits in these things before...
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

It's definitely a hand cannon. A guy let me shoot one once back in '78 at a gun range I was a member of. Two hand hold off the 4' carpeted bench board at the range put 5 shots in a 2" group near the bull @ 25 yds for my introduction to the beast. If I can remember correctly it was an 8 or 10" barrel. It had a hard back and twisting to the right recoil, not quite as comfortable as the roll of the SBH. Though, I do have somewhat average to smaller hands for gripping such a cannon. Double stack pistolas seem a little bulky to me over the single stack pistolas. I wonder what the courts would say if you used one for an EDC SD pistola and had a SD incident. Magnum Force with ole Clint
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    how many people lost money on the last automag scheme?

Boolit Master
    Interesting but funny how the only pictures on the website are of original automags and one of those is from the movie sudden impact.
    I wish them luck but I think I see another Bren 10 in the making.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot a 44 AM and 357 AM back in the 90’s along with 45 Win and 475 Wildeys. They were a lot of fun and recoil was less than expected. Reloading took more effort and concentration.

Sold the AMs when I lost my job at the time. Have since replaced the 44 and rarely shoot it.

I wish the new AM company well.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Interesting ...........
    I wish them luck but I think I see another Bren 10 in the making.
    You would think with all of modern day computer driven machines that gun resurrection would not be that hard, but:

A new Automag has already failed once.

A new Bren Ten has failed twice, Voit and Vltor.

A new Merwin and Hulbert has failed twice.

These failures just seem to add to driving the prices of the originals so far out of reach for the common man.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 03-02-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Content
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master

I had one back in the 70's and vividly remember making brass out of 308 cases (what a pain). It was a fun gun but I got rid of it and have no regrets.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

What I noticed on their sight and video is they talk about modern engineering and manufacturing techniques. Supposedly all state of the art machines and processes. Yet No cnc machines or machining centers were shown in the video all older manual machines running insert cutters from 20-30 years ago. The casting process they show appears to be a sand cast process While I would like to see the auto mag become available again. I don't think there is a market to support them on just it. Given what they talk and then what they show I'm just not sure on this one.
    Other fire arms reproductions do well in a niche market like the Sharps, CPA 44 1/2 Stevens, and some others these manufacturers cater to the buyer with many options allowing the rifle to be built to exactly what is wanted. C Sharps has several different rifles in their line up also Sharps, highwalls, Hepburn's. Shiloh as several versions of the Sharps available. BRC has barrels and the brochardt. CPA has the 44 1/2 in several versions, loading tools, moulds. These rifles have a long history and mystic behind them.

Seems like the Desert Eagle cut in on the AM niche, but it didn't come with 15" barrels. To bad they couldn't have modified the clip a little to accept the 284 Win case. That case cut to length and necked down to accept the .430 boolit would have made a shoulder and a lot easier reloading not to mention another 100 + fps with the extra case volume.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Grand Master

The 475 Wildey was on a 284 case shortened and necked down. Its an impressive looking round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast