Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Not very impressed with a heritage 22 revolver.

Boolit Grand Master

At least it shoots... the three we got in the shop one time would not fire the hammer would not hit the firing pin hard enough to set off a 22. We will not sell them.

Boolit Master

Not trying to step on anyones toes or start a big argument. I have seen them at very low prices around here and even if I was to get one that would not shoot right, I would send it back and explain the problem. If they would not fix the problem under warrantee , then I would send them a letter of complaint. Lets face it, single actions do not always shoot to point of aim, nobodies. I have never been able to afford a Colt Single Action but I have read and heard from people who do and from what I have read and heard, they generally shoot to windage but seldom hit to point of aim as to high or low. I have had several Ruger single action revolvers and not one of them was dead on at 25 yards, all shot either left or right of point of aim or low or high. Even a replacement Vaquero that Ruger sent a target when they mailed a replacement revolver to me shot slightly to the left on their own included target. It is the nature of the beast nowadays that mass production take place of high quality. Nobody that I know of has a quality control department that checks each and every piece manufactured like they did in the old days. It is simply not possible in the modern competitive business world. Taurus guns are made for the entry level buyer and for the most part and the fit, finish, and material quality is geared to that level, not the collector or buyer who wants both fit and finish as well as a decent shooter. If they were manufactured with the Ruger fit and finish, they would have to put a price on them several times higher for the increased cost. If you want a higher grade fit and finish, buy a Ruger, if your aim is to buy a plinker just to horse a round with, buy the Taurus and spend the extra money on ammo for it. Just my opinion and you may or may not agree, its your money. james

Boolit Master
    I took it apart yesterday, thought something was wrong, like the mainspring was still in it, even tho the grip frame and spring were not on the gun. The hand was so tight, it felt like a mainspring. Frame not even cut right for it to work right.

$99 at Dunham’s at times- good price for a knock around. But now learning Taurus is involved, count me out! I already got two of them that don’t work!
    Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in awhile
    NRA Benefactor 2016

I have both, enjoy both. Of course the Heritage is way below the Ruger in quality but it does work. Heck, the elk grips on my SS are worth more than the Heritage! I'll do a side by side accuracy test soon and see what happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    At least it shoots... the three we got in the shop one time would not fire the hammer would not hit the firing pin hard enough to set off a 22. We will not sell them.
    This is the first report I have seen or heard that they didn't work out of the box. They took mine back because of blemishes on the frame and the firing pin was hitting the very outside of the rim and I figures that it was a matter of time before it would start misfiring...They gave me new frame and tested it with a report... I didn't even have to pay shipping either way. Not bad for a $99 revolver.

Boolit Master
    I can see why they might misfire, the mainspring has to overcome all the internal parts. Mine was way to tight inside. Could definitely feel the hand trying to turn the cyl. Then the resistance of the hand as the hammer dropped. Once I fixed that, mainspring is way heavier than it needs to be.

Frame is a bit crude, just paint, no bluing. Did get some decent accuracy out of some plated ammo. Took out the safety, will slim down the main spring.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I can see why they might misfire, the mainspring has to overcome all the internal parts. Mine was way to tight inside. Could definitely feel the hand trying to turn the cyl. Then the resistance of the hand as the hammer dropped. Once I fixed that, mainspring is way heavier than it needs to be.

Frame is a bit crude, just paint, no bluing. Did get some decent accuracy out of some plated ammo. Took out the safety, will slim down the main spring.
    Your post mystifies me...These are single action. The only thing that moves when you pull the trigger is the sear, right? Or am I misinterpreting something here.

Boolit Master
    No when the hammer drops, the hand is pinned to it, so has to move to. My black hawk, no main spring, the hammer flops. Heritage, it wont budge on its own, hand is to tight.

Boolit Master

I just thought I'd follow up on this thread, since I sat down at the bench with my Heritage Rough Rider today. The crude sights really leave something to be desired, but it did pretty well to put most rounds within 3" at 25 yards. That's really not bad at all. I must have gotten a good one. With better sights, or a shooter with sharper eyes, I'd think it might do better. I was aiming at the lower target, so I'll need to figure out what to do with the sights. Or just not worry about it, since it's really not the kind of gun I'll be shooting at 25 yards much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6447[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	234467

Here what my old Ruger Standard will do, or at least about the best I can do with it. Ten shot group under 2", which is good for me:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6448[1].jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	234469

Boolit Mold
    I picked one up a while back, bird head model.

Only ammo used in it is snake shot. Not bad for just walking around the desert.

Not worried about what it looks like.

I advertised 5 boxes of Federal 9mm HST ammo on Armslist, after a few weeks it hadn't sold, and a guy in a neighboring town asked me if I would take a NIB heritage in trade. He had bought it for his wife to shoot and she didn't like it.
    I did the trade, not expecting much.
    I have an early 70's Colt New Frontier .22, it is so fine makes even the nicest Ruger seem like a clunker.
    The Heritage was a bit rough in finish and smoothness, the safety was funky, but it shot O.K.
    I gave it to a friend, who didn't have a .22 handgun, he's happy with it.
    I can't think of anything bad to say about the Heritage, they are well worth the $140 or so they sell for.

Boolit Master
    When I go to the gun shows all of the Heritages on the tables have these hideous, fugly paint jobs. I can’t remember if the grips are bad as well. They look like a 5 year old picked the colors for the frames. They went beyond putting lipstick on a pig.

Well I guess those were special editions or experimentals. I can’t find a single picture on the internet.

What do you expect, they are the revolver version of Hi-Point!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

I have 2 and my wife has 2. We are happy with them. There just range toys to plink with.

Every time I wanted to like a Heritage, I picked one up and put it back down in disgust. That side plate is just hideous. So about 2 years ago I picked up an older H&R 949 'forty niner' with a 5.5" barrel for around $200 OTD. Never been happier with a $200 handgun.....and it's "vintage" made in USA, in other words, there's probably no way I can wear it out under normal use.
    Sure there's no Warranty, but ebay and GB are full of spare parts should the need arise.

These things were the 'Heritage' revolvers of their time, and every time I shoot a 9 shot cylinder full of cheap plinker ammo it's smiles for hours.

Boolit Master

What do you expect, they are the revolver version of Hi-Point!
    That is true, very true. It seems that both Hi-Point and Heritage are experiments in how to manufacture the absolutely cheapest, ugliest, firearm possible, that actually functions reasonably well.

I hear that a lot of people really love their Hi-Points, but I’ve just never been able to bring myself to buy one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Anyway mine is getting a lot more use. I just stocked up on some .22mag. I have been shooting up my father in laws old stock he gifted me. Save the fresh stuff.
    If you want an even superior experience, find some of the 22 WRF that seems to be widely plentiful again, at least at my Sportsman's Warehouse. MOST of the power of a 22 WMR, but half the flash and bang. Makes the 22 Mag cylinder a joy to use.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...d-hollow-point
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    If you want an even superior experience, find some of the 22 WRF that seems to be widely plentiful again, at least at my Sportsman's Warehouse. MOST of the power of a 22 WMR, but half the flash and bang. Makes the 22 Mag cylinder a joy to use.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...d-hollow-point
    Wow, never thought I'd see the day... it's nice though. Still a lot of old model 1890's out there chambered for them too. That will make some folks very happy.

Banned
    It's always the folks that don't own them that trash them. Wonder why?

Heritages are good for what they are. I have a birds head grip model. It is my chicken gun. I will not take my Rugers in the chicken coop. I once dropped it in the poop.Not good. The Heritage on the other hand is great for the job. I load rat shot in the 1st two chambers and cheap Federal bulk solids in the remaining chambers. If I see mice or a snake I pop them with the shot. If I encounter a Possum,Coon,Putty Kat or any varmints raiding my coop I just cock the hammer twice and I'm good.It's nothing more than selecting the right tool for the right job.They are great beater guns.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast