Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Not very impressed with a heritage 22 revolver.

Boolit Master
    Ejector rod as an anti rotate,, interesting design
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Well guess no need for special tools to get the barrel out then.

Boolit Master

I went to a gun show this morning and ended up buying a replacement of sorts. I found an old H&R 922 for $150. I didn't go with the intention of buying anything but it caught my eye and I figured it might be worth trying out.

I'll still fix the Rough Rider, and I don't regret buying it, but I wouldn't buy another.

I'm kicking myself because I passed up an older Taurus .357 mag, full-size 6", for $250. I walked by it a half dozen times thinking what a good deal it was, and how I had no business buying another gun. I even left and my son and I went to Walmart down the road. 45 minutes later we drove by the show on the way home, and I convinced myself that I really did need it. I stopped and went back in to buy it, somehow knowing full well that it would be gone. Sure enough...

Boolit Buddy
    I own one and have enjoyed it. It's a hundred dollar gun and since it's the only one hundred dollar gun I own I cannot really compare it with anything else.
    It's killed several snakes and that's its primary role.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Boolit Bub
    I picked up one of the Rough Rider 22LR only revolvers a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. No problems so far after several "bulk packs" of cartridges through it.

The first time I took it to the range I let my wife shoot it and she loved it. We ended up spending most of our range time that day with it. I couldn't get her to leave until we were out of 22LR ammo.

My big mistake was shooting mine at a paper Target!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Well I got around to fixing mine. I degreased the barrel threads and frame, and used permanent thread locker. Considering that's all they would do if I sent it in, I didn't see the point in spending $50 shipping.

I was surprised at how loose the barrel to frame fit was. Not really "loose" in a general sense, but definitely not very tight. I was very careful to line up the front sight as best I could. I had the barrel in a padded vice and was tightening the frame by hand, and it was fairly easy to over-tighten it. That must just be the nature of the pot metal frame. We'll see how long this lasts!

I also had to do some tinkering with the other little .22 revolver I bought on a whim the other day (H&R 922). It looked fine as I looked it over at the show, but I can say that unless you really know your stuff, think twice before buying an old used revolver like this. It had some issues, but that's something for a different thread...

Boolit Master
    Well I was looking green mountain for something to make a sleeve out of. Guess you have to pick what your going to shoot out of it. Being a 22mag/22lr would imagine they put the larger bore barrel in them. A proper 22lr barrel would be more accurate.

Banned

in long hindsight, the heritage is no more than a dangerous toy gun, due to it's aggregate minute-of-watermelon accuracy at any reasonable shooting distance.

for most it'll be a waste of money that's better spent elsewhere.

Boolit Master

Mine was actually very accurate, before the barrel came loose. I could consistently shoot 2”-3” groups at 25 yards, from a rest. It really surprised me for such a cheap gun.

Boolit Bub
    I would save up and buy a used Ruger Single Six.

Boolit Master

As I stated previously I had a $99 Heritage and sent it in to have a mag cylinder fitted -- it was not a "drop in". I have since gotten it back with a repair bill. Gun was two or three years old and had been gathering dust because it *wasn't" a Single six, Frontier Scout, etc. For $35 they said they'd fit the cylinder so what the heck, only had $99 into it +$35 for mag cylinder +$35 for fitting cylinder. They told me to send entire gun with standard 22 cylinder installed and they would fit that also.

Upon return -- zero extra charges over and above the original $35 fitting fee, they replaced barrel, hammer, trigger, and a few springs. I now have a 22/22 mag to carry in 4-wheelers and don't have to worry about beating up a pristine Ruger or Colt. Dang thing even shoots pretty well with both. For a beater gun, I really can't complain....YMMV

ART

PS -- Heritage IS now owned by Taurus....
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

There is always exceptions to everything. I have had cheap guns that shot out of their paygrade but they are exceptions. My policy is if I want a beater is to look for a quality piece that is a beater. To me a gun that isn't accurate is useless.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567