RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Not very impressed with a heritage 22 revolver.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have a 4 3/4" 22 s, l & lr - no, they aren't a Ruger or a Colt, but mine has been an excellent shooter and i got it as a knock around pistol for the farm - works well on critters. I just ignore the safety - c'mon - it's a single action. For the price - a good starter pistol or one to not worry about getting nicks and scratches. They are what they are - an affordable 22 pistol. I've talked with several who have the longer barreled ones and they have no issues taking tree rats in trees with them. I have a pristine vintage Ruger Super Bearcat that I bought to shoot but after my wife saw it, it got put away for her to shoot. If I had to choose between my Heritage and the old Bearcat - it would be the Heritage everytime as I don't think the Bearcat I have shoots any better.

It's a good starter pistol - let him play with it and get used to how it shoots - if it doesn't work out then start looking for a good used single six. I've passed on several in the last couple of years that were very reasonably priced because I just got soured on shooting 22s when ammo was hard to find. I can reload 38s and have just as much fun.

Boolit Master

Hey guys and gals.
    Been quite a while since I've posted here. Was surfing through some of the posts, and found this one.
    A couple years ago, I was in Wasilla, Alaska visiting my cousin. He had bought one of the Heritidge revolvers. I had been wanting to pick up a decent .22 revolver for a few years. Note the word "decent". Anyway, I shot a few cylinders full in his Heritidge. Accuracy was fair, and only fair. As previously stated, fit and finish was poor, and the ugly safety was, well very ugly. I passed on buying one.
    Fast forward a few months to about mid 2017. Still looking. I stopped in a pawn shop, and they had on display, a Harrington & Richardson
    revolver, and a slightly used Hi Standard Double Nine. I fondled them both, to see which was the tightest, the least used, and seemingly best kept. Hands down, the Hi Standard was definately the better revolver. 300.00 out the door. The gently used Hi Standard is a tack driver. By that, I mean it will run its nine rounds into a bottle cap at 12 yards if I do my part
    Bottom line, I will take the 300.00 Hi Standard over three Heritidge revolvers any time. Don't waste your money.
    Just my .02

Banned
    At the same time, a 38 special or 357 loaded with wadcutters would make a far better option for a first time shooter.

Ghosthawk, thanks for the story.

I agree they have their place. Getting people started cheaply or as something to keep on the four wheeler or in the truck is certainly part of it.

My buddy had no problem getting replacement parts for his when he shot the ejector rod housing off and couldn't find all the parts. I don't recall if he had to pay for the parts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    22lr, and 22mag are different sized bullets, and should have different sized bores.
    22lr and 22 Mag are the same sized bullets...However, 22 Mag are usually jacketed bullets and I have read that the bore should be a tiny bit larger. Don't know if that is true.
    I have a Heritage 22lr that I bought about 2 years ago. Finish was a bit marred ...sent it back and got a new frame ...free no postage either way. Mine has good fit with cartridges. Shoots to point of aim. I got nothing bad to say about it. For $100 new it was a great deal. Only wish I had bought the Steel framed case hardened model...but not available where I live.

Boolit Master

.22 Mag diameter is .224, .22 LR is .223.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned

imo heritage, like many bottom feeder firearms, will be hit or miss. bought a heritage .22lr 4-3/4" rough rider 2 years ago and i got lucky - works fine, good cylinder timing, good accuracy, funky "safety" switch ... and for sure it's no ruger single six.

hickok45 playing with a rough rider ...

Banned
    @Jeff Michel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	233563

.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire
    Bullet diameter .224 in (5.7 mm)
    Neck diameter .242 in (6.1 mm)
    Base diameter .242 in (6.1 mm)
    Rim diameter .294 in (7.5 mm)
    Rim thickness .050 in (1.3 mm)
    Case length 1.055 in (26.8 mm)
    Overall length 1.350 in (34.3 mm)

.22 Long Rifle (.22 LR)
    Bullet diameter 0.223 in (5.7 mm) - 0.2255 in (5.73 mm)
    Neck diameter .226 in (5.7 mm)[1]
    Base diameter .226 in (5.7 mm)
    Rim diameter .278 in (7.1 mm)
    Rim thickness .043 in (1.1 mm)
    Case length .613 in (15.6 mm)
    Overall length 1.000 in (25.4 mm)
    Rifling twist 1:16"[1]

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    We’re did you here that Taurus took over Heritage? Last I herd Heritage arms is still Heritage arms and they have one plant and it’s in Miami Florida.
    Today. Sent in my $99 Special to have 22 Mag cylinder fitted and got an email back from Taurus saying 12 Weeks to fit.... hey for $99 it's a great truck gun. NOT a Ruger or Smith but hey....$99? Happy...

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

When I bought mine, I couldn't keep hits on a 25 yard target at 10 yards. Half of the ones that did hit were keyholed. I sent the gun and target to Taurus under warrantee. A couple weeks later I got it back with a test target shot off sandbags at 15 yards. The guy wasn't the best shot. Mine now holds 1 1/2 inch groups offhand at 15 yards with .22 mags and just under 2 with long rifle rounds. If it doesn't perform out of the box, send it in!

I will not go into comparison of Heritage with Ruger or Colt because there isn't any. Back in the 60s up through 70s there were a lot of imported SA clones on the market. There were quite a few while not comparable to Colt
    and Ruger they were much better guns than the Heritage. The German SAs with steel frames were good pistols for the money. Brazil & Italy put out some SAs closer to Heritage. The Zinc frame guns were all junk. I get into
    this Heritage argument at least once a week. There is always somebody who has one that is very accurate. It's possible but in my experience they are very poor on average. I find them so inacurate that they are no fun to shoot. Then again my idea of accuracy may not be the same as Heritage owners. When I was a kid I got a Ruger
    Single-6( $59.95 at the time) and compared to my buddies H&Rs, IJs and assorted imports it was a target pistol.
    Around the same time I got a S&W K22 NIB on a trade. I had no interest in it at all. Didn't want to shoot it and make a used gun out of it for future trading purposes. Due to H&Rs and IJs, I had no use for DA revolvers. One of my buddies kept on me to shot it. I finally did and found out what a accurate 22 revolver was. I still have that old Single-6 and carried it for "ruff" duty but for serious 22 shooting I carried the K22 from that day on and still
    do. I guess it all comes down to what accurate is to different people.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i have been thinking about buying one. i am a sucker for the less expensive guns. i have been surprised at how well some do. i have an rg10 that i inherited and can see why they got such a bad rep but have other rg's that aren't bad guns have a little rg 32 long that i just love.

Boolit Master

Bottom line, I will take the 300.00 Hi Standard over three Heritidge revolvers any time. Don't waste your money.
    Just as there are plenty of people who would take one Porsche over a dozen Chevys. To each their own.

If you're going to compare it with a better quality arm, don't buy one. They will not measure up to a Ruger or S&W. If you want a decent gun to rely on (only one), you're better of saving up and buying something better.

On the other hand, if you're willing to spend a hundred buck but not $300, and are fine with a perfectly usable but cheap gun, they're really not bad, so long as you know what to expect.

My friend who likes his, considers it good accuracy if he can hit a tin can 20 feet away. Fine precision would be wasted on him.

If you can spare the money. For a first handgun the kid could have the rest of his life, spending the extra for a Ruger Single Six convertible is a good idea IMO. Even a used one. First handgun I bought was a Ruger Single Six.

Boolit Master

My first handgun was (is) a Ruger Standard automatic. I've fired many thousands of rounds through it, and one of my kids will inherit it someday. It's head and shoulders above a Heritage for quality and accuracy, but I still appreciate the Heritage for what it is. If I had to choose only one? Oh, yeah... the Heritage would be gone in a heartbeat.

I think we're talking apples and oranges here. Some of us like to tinker with cheap guns, though we have plenty of quality guns too. Others among us only have quality firearms and have no interest in ever owning something that may be sub-par. To each their own.

Boolit Master

About 25+yrs ago, when they showed up, they were pretty darned cheap. Had a Buddy who was a cheapskate. He'd buy a Rossi over a Taurus because it was $20bucks cheaper. He started Cowboy Shooting with a used Rossi .44 Carbine, his old Blackhawk .357 and an OLD Stevens SxS 12ga. He bought a .45Colt American Arms Spaghetti gun for $200 bucks for his 2nd gun.

Then he started to pick up SideMatch guns. The first one was a heritage .22LR revolver. He fought that gun for a year. Put about 1,000 rds through it. Some even hit a soda can at 20ft.

Finally one Beautiful Sunny Day at Our Club's SideMatch Sunday. He missed a 12" steel plate at 20ft 5 shots out of five. He was even shooting Remington Target .22's (mine).

Well his volatile nature got the better of him. He swore a BLUE streak ( Profanity is a violation of Club rules ) and threw the revolver, yes I SAID THREW the revolver down range. It must have gone a good 40+yards, bounced 3 maybe 4 times.

Well a cease fire was called and the gun was retrieved. Much worse for wear. My Buddy was DQ'ed from the match and sent home. Which was a bit hard as he and 2 others had driven to the match in my Astro.

At the next Club meeting he was voted out. Word got around and he was banned from the other Clubs in the Area for a year. There were 7 monthly matches in SoCal back in those days.

So if I should say that heritage .22's were junk, my experience with his and other Cowboy Shooters that bought a cheap .22 will bear me out.

Just MHO
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    imo heritage, like many bottom feeder firearms, will be hit or miss. bought a heritage .22lr 4-3/4" rough rider 2 years ago and i got lucky - works fine, good cylinder timing, good accuracy, funky "safety" switch ... and for sure it's no ruger single six.

hickok45 playing with a rough rider ...

Here we have a VIDEO Showing a guy whom we all know is not partial...Actually being very impressed with the little gun. If you don't believe your own eyes ... there is no arguing.

Thank you Traffer for that post.

Personally I like them, good enough fit and finish for what it costs.
    Mine has given me no troubles at all.

It was just frustrating because I was feeding it the wrong ammo.
    But that is on ME, not the gun.

Anytime I am taking someone to the range for some fun, I make sure I include it.
    And I make sure it has the .22mag cylinder in, and that there are at least 100 rounds to feed it. It is just different enough, having to remove the empty brass one by one, then fill it. It takes time, concentration. Then that big firball and concussion blast in your face. Eyes get BIG. Then they see that hole right where they pointed it. And eyes get bigger. Shoulders get squared and up comes the gun for round two.

Not bad for 150$. Not bad at all.

Banned

not bad at all for the $99 i paid when tombstone had it on sale.

Boolit Grand Master

We have 2 and you get what you pay for which is not bad as long as you keep your expectations to match. Both work fine, are reasonably accurate and we dont care if they get scratched.
    Are they as good as my Ruger Single Six? No but my Single Six isn't as good as my SW Model 17 either.
    All have their use
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast