WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TC Renegade left handed

Boolit Grand Master

TC Renegade left handed

I am looking at buying a TC Renegade, and would like to use peep sights. The problem being I shoot left handed, and am not sure if it will be reasonable to use a right handed gun with the sight in the way. I have been shooting my right handed New Englander no problem with the standard sights. It looks to me that the hammer on the Renegade is mounted forward, and shouldn't cause much of a problem. I've tried to buy a left hand model, they seem to go for way too much. There are plenty of nice right handed models out there for a decent price.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thinking out of the box, you could cut / grind / solder a peep (small round ring) into the existing rear sight blade. Essentially make a peep sight into the standard "factory" set up. It would be a peep way out in front of you, but having used such a set up, I can tell you they work and work well. Metal working talent helps.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm pretty sure I've seen that for sale, an adjustable dovetail replacement. I imagine it will be about like shooting a handgun with peep sights. It wont work well at all. The reason I love peep sights is that they aren't like standard iron sights you line up. They naturally come together, almost like shooting a shotgun.

Super Moderator

I have a right handed Lyman Deerstalker that I shoot left handed with peep sights. I put the 57SML on it, and don't have any issues shooting and hunting with it. As always, wear eye protection when shooting it.

TC made tang mounted peep sight , but they are hard to find now. The wife's left handed Renegade has one on it. TC also made tall target peep but it's really too high for a hunting

t
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    I have a left handed Lyman GPH with Lyman 57 rear sight, that I shoot right handed. No interference issues at all as the sight is well behind the hammer.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

That's good to hear guys. I already have a Williams tang mounted peep sight that I plan to use. I don't to pop shots off super fast, I just wanted to be sure I can cock the hammer without having to finagle around the sight when the gun is shouldered. I've got my eye on a couple right hand models now.

Boolit Master
    I'm a southpaw. Purchased a LH renegade and installed their tang mounted peep. I'm have the largest aperture installed, in conjunction with an aftermarket fluorescent green lite pipe front. I don't like it for hunting in low light, when the deer seem to be the most active.

What I did was mount base that accepts QD rings, using the existing holes drilled for the barrel mounted standard rear sight. Allowed me to use a Ultra-Dot in a scout type set up. Base is low enough, that when I detach the red dot sight, the peep can still be used as a backup. Detachable rings also come in handy when cleaning the barrel.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I'm a southpaw. Purchased a LH renegade and installed their tang mounted peep. I'm have the largest aperture installed, in conjunction with an aftermarket fluorescent green lite pipe front. I don't like it for hunting in low light, when the deer seem to be the most active.

What I did was mount base that accepts QD rings, using the existing holes drilled for the barrel mounted standard rear sight. Allowed me to use a Ultra-Dot in a scout type set up. Base is low enough, that when I detach the red dot sight, the peep can still be used as a backup. Detachable rings also come in handy when cleaning the barrel.

Winelover
    What don't you like about it in low light? Does the ring just seem to get fuzzy or less distinct? I'm not about to put a red dot or scope on, I've got another muzzleloader set up with a great 1-4x leupold. I'm willing to accept some disadvantage in low light, I've found peeps to be better than any other iron sight option out there.

Boolit Master
    Couldn't make out the sights, even though I could see the target. As you age and particularly, if you wear glasses, you gradually lose your night vision. I find I have better night vision, if I keep my glasses in their case, for the first and last half hour of legal shooting light. I even tried painting the outer edge of the aperture white...............didn't help.

Red dot sights and scopes are not period correct on muzzle loaders, but I figure I owe it to the animal to make the most humane shot. All my hunting firearms have red dot sights or some form of lighted reticle.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

I guess what I'm asking is how was it in relation to standard open sights? Better, worse, no change? I'm sure we all get to a point where you just can't see as well. I'm not after a traditional firearm, just traditional hunting. Scopes existed when percussion guns did anyway, it's just that I already have another muzzleloader set up with one. Thanks for the input.

There are also various portable Merit Optical discs, some of which have an adjustable iris:--->>> http://www.meritcorporation.com
    The different designs can either be attached to a peep sight or to safety/shooting glasses.
    They can help to clear up open sights for nearly any shooter.

I guess that the smaller the aperture, the less light there available is for visibilty since apertures/peeps do tend to cut off some light.

In the past, I've seen inexpensive disposable eye discs made from a self-sticking plastic material that simply adheres to eyeglasses like a magnet.
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-05-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Open sights = Vanilla

Peep sights = Chocolate

Scopes or Red dots = Hot Fudge Sundae

All will satiate your sweet tooth. Boils down to a matter of choice.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Check your PM's. There is a guy on fleabay selling ghost ring sights with fiber optics from Williams. Comes as a set. Check Thompson Center Hawken. Maybe also get ideas.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks guys, I'm going to buy a right handed model unless a left handed comes along. I will try the tang mounted peep sight, and see how I like it. I'll try shooting in low light before hunting with it.

Boolit Grand Master

I ended up buying a pristine right handed, percussion, 54 caliber Renegade. It has hardly, if ever been fired. I have yet to shoot it, but can already tell I am going to like it. I put my tang mounted peep sight on it, and will hit the range after the snow storm. This is my first gun with a set trigger, it is incredible. I don't know if someone put a heavier hammer spring in this, it pretty heavy, yet regular trigger is about 6 pounds, set trigger is right at 1 pound. Lock time is blazing fast. I don't think the sight is any problem at all while shooting left handed. The hammer is much farther forward than on my new Englander. I'm going to put a recoil pad on it, mostly for the extra length, maybe put a taller front sight on it, based on how it shoots, and it will be perfect.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing I did notice is that the nipple is relatively short to what I have been using. I've come to find that the standard TC nipples came that short, yet their hotshot and others are taller. Does the height of the nipple matter that much, and what effect does it have?

Perhaps it makes it a little more difficult to cap while on half-cock due to there not being as much room for a capper?

Boolit Grand Master

That's an idea. With the taller nipple I can cap on half cock, but there isn't much room.

Boolit Master
    First thing I did with my Renegade was replace the set trigger with a aftermarket single trigger. S&I was the manufacturer, IIRC. Muzzleloading season, in Michigan started the middle of December. It's usually very cold that that time of the year and heavy gloves are required. Very tight for a gloved finger when using set triggers. Always disliked the hook extension on the trigger guard. Considered cutting it off, many times. If I could find a OEM, one on the cheap, I wouldn't hesitate to modify it.

Winelover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast