Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington or CCI Caps

Remington or CCI Caps

Hey guys. Im going to order a Lyman Great Pains rifle 54 cal. Any one had better luck with one or the other? Looks like they will be #11.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master

Love cci primers but had nothing but fits with the 2 tins of #11's i tried. Remingtons worked fine for me.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

jcren
    Any thoughts on what caused your problem with the CCI. I have used the CCI's and experienced no problems.
    bob
    Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

Boolit Master

I use CCI caps on my muzzleloader. They all Have gone bang.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWarden View Post
    jcren
    Any thoughts on what caused your problem with the CCI. I have used the CCI's and experienced no problems.
    bob
    This was years ago, so may have been a bad batch, but 1 in 4 or 5 would not go bang on the first strike. Was using em on an early cva inline and a Hawken of some sort(Hawken belonged to my father in law) and both had issues. Both cans were bought at the same store so may be a fluke.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I like RWS best. I had trouble with Rem caps. Frequently the primer component would fall out of the cap when still in the tin. I also think they were a bit 'weaker' than the RWS. I've used RWS since I first started BP shooting in the 70s. I used CCI a long time ago without issue but have always gone back to RWS.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have used cci and Remington without problems. I do like rws the best though. I would suggest you get a hot shot nipple when you get the rifle. it made a great improvement in mine. so much so that I use them in all my rifles now.

Boolit Master

RWS are the best if you can find them. Just my experience.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    I use Remington with no issues

Super Moderator

I use both Remington and CCI, depending on availability. I prefer the Remington as they seem to fit better, for me anyway.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would use musket caps, if possible. 'Specially if you are going to try subs in it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Love cci primers but had nothing but fits with the 2 tins of #11's i tried. Remingtons worked fine for me.
    I've had guns that didn't like those. Turns out that they were too tight on the nipple. A little polishing by spinning it in a drill press and using a flat stick with sandpaper loosened the fit enough to get them to work fine.

RWS caps are slightly too tall to fit in my TC Clear View capper, so it's usually always Remington or CCI's.

They both seem to work equally well.

One time I bought a tin of Remington in a sealed clam pack at a Walmart and less than half of the tin was full.
    I believe that caps like Winchesters are also made by CCI and relabeled, same as the old CVA Hot Flash caps were.
    They both have that distinctive CCI orange tinted primer material.

CCI also makes magnum #11's along with RWS.
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-04-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Boolit Master
    My Lyman Deerstalker has eaten everything it’s been fed. However I’ve read with revolvers that the CCIs tend to fragment causing jams, and I’ve seen the Rems have their compound fall out, though Rem #10s are all I’ve found to work on my revolvers, though my ToTW nipples state they are designed specifically for CCI #11s (standard non magnum), which are hard to find locally.

Boolit Mold
    I use CCI #11 on TC Hawken .54 caliber. Have always had good luck. They fit well, a nice snug fit, always work. Some tins of them I have had around for over 20 years still work fine, so evidently they store well, too.

Boolit Master
    Oh, I have to include that the Rem’s have ignited both Pyrodex and Triple 7 rather easily. The Pyrodex (both P and RS) through the rifle and the T7 mostly through both revolvers. No need for magnum or musket (which I read are horrible) caps. For many years now the Rem caps claim a 40% hotter ignition or some such. How that measures to a magnum cap is beyond me.

Thanks for the info guys. I have a Friend going to Anchorage will see if he can pick me up some at Cabelas if they have any. I will take what I can get. Cant get them in the little town I live in. Have to take a boat or fly to get out of here. The price you pay to live in paradise I guess.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Banned

Beware of the new CCI Musket caps. They are marked as "Reenactment Use ONLY" They are less power than a #11. Find RWS if you can or use #11 MAG primers. Do not use the CCI Musket caps.

Boolit Bub
    Do they still make the RWS? I looked for some a while back but couldn’t find any

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contendernut View Post
    Do they still make the RWS? I looked for some a while back but couldn’t find any
    Midsouth lists them in their website. I settled on RWS a long time ago. I didn't like how I had to pinch CCI to keep them on the nipple of my sidelocks (CVA and Lyman). I have not purchased any new in 10 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast