Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on .45-70 Blanks, Please 🙂

No_1_U_Know

Info on .45-70 Blanks, Please 🙂

Howdy...

I got these .45-70 Blanks from my dad, but unfortunately, he's no longer around to tell me anything about them. I'm wondering if these are full or half loads. Anyone have any data on what those should be, in weight?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190102_213847469.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	233304

If there is a better place for this post, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

N1UK

Boolit Master
    I suppose you might google 45-70 blank ammo and get a lot of hits. Try this one. It shows several samples in the first few replies.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...70-blanks/1705

Boolit Master
    Navy used 45-70 blanks for line throwing gun. Someone gave me a bunch of the brass.. Didn't like the brass.

Boolit Master
    When I was mining, they used a 45-70 ram set laying track. The track went from the mine to the mill. Had a few fired brass and they loaded, shot fine.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy

In 1972, I was in the Navy. On the USS CH Roan DD 853 we had a H&R line throwing guns.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

In Remembrance

One of the most prized rounds I have in my collection is a blank .45/70 that was one of the blanks used in the movie `The Last Samurai`, had a friend working on the set at the time.Robert

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    When I was mining, they used a 45-70 ram set laying track. The track went from the mine to the mill. Had a few fired brass and they loaded, shot fine.
    swamp
    So I guess the crimp come fully-unfolded upon firing?

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    One of the most prized rounds I have in my collection is a blank .45/70 that was one of the blanks used in the movie `The Last Samurai`, had a friend working on the set at the time.Robert
    Robert,

I also worked on some film sets. The most exciting was as Brad Pitts's stand-in on Killing Them Softly for about three weeks. There was a scene where Brad's character shot someone with a semi-auto pistol from a passing car. I picked some of the casings up, and when I was traveling to visit Mom - who's a huge Brad fan - they wouldn't let me take them on the plane. Empty casings. ********!

I was thinking I may like to sell these to re-enactors.
    Last edited by No_1_U_Know; 01-03-2019 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Typo

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron in PA View Post
    In 1972, I was in the Navy. On the USS CH Roan DD 853 we had a H&R line throwing guns.
    The same people that make the .45-70 used by so many to hunt, during the primitive weapon season???

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I suppose you might google 45-70 blank ammo and get a lot of hits. Try this one. It shows several samples in the first few replies.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...70-blanks/1705
    Great info! I'll have a look!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by No_1_U_Know View Post
    So I guess the crimp come fully-unfolded upon firing?
    When I got them they looked like a standard fired case. I was working in the stopes level. A friend was down on the track level and picked the up.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy

The action is the same, but it had a spool on the barrel.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Boolit Master
    My father told me one time that they had converted trap-door Springfield rifles with blank 45-70 cartridges when he was in the Navy (1944-1945). They were used for line throwing.

Boolit Master
    Navy from '64 to '67 and they are line throwing blanks M32's I believe for the H&R line throwing single shot rifles. Even though I worked in the engineroom always seemed to get stuck when replenishments came around. Frank

No_1_U_Know
    The action is the same, but it had a spool on the barrel.
    Gotcha!

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Navy from '64 to '67 and they are line throwing blanks M32's I believe for the H&R line throwing single shot rifles. Even though I worked in the engineroom always seemed to get stuck when replenishments came around. Frank
    Thanks Frank! You are saying you recognize these as being for those line throwing rifles?

Boolit Master
    Yes, had a couple of the fired cases from those line throwing H&R rifles. I lost them and weidener's had them on sale some years back. Got about 500 or so and no crimp. I'm assuming that they had some sort of wad either glued in place much like the old brass shotgun shells that had the shot charge printed on them. Mine are headstamped WCC 67 M32. OK, just looked in my copy U.S Army small arms identification book which lists this cartridge. Appears there was a crimp and the mouth of the case was sealed with red lacquer. So based on the above info the crimp was straightened out when these cases were demilled way back when. Cases look just like regular 45/70 cases except for the headstamp. Have resized a couple and stuck a 500 grain hornady softpoint in them. Fit just fine in my Ruger #1. Frank

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Yes, had a couple of the fired cases from those line throwing H&R rifles. I lost them and weidener's had them on sale some years back. Got about 500 or so and no crimp. I'm assuming that they had some sort of wad either glued in place much like the old brass shotgun shells that had the shot charge printed on them. Mine are headstamped WCC 67 M32. OK, just looked in my copy U.S Army small arms identification book which lists this cartridge. Appears there was a crimp and the mouth of the case was sealed with red lacquer. So based on the above info the crimp was straightened out when these cases were demilled way back when. Cases look just like regular 45/70 cases except for the headstamp. Have resized a couple and stuck a 500 grain hornady softpoint in them. Fit just fine in my Ruger #1. Frank
    Thanks Frank. These have some kind of paper with printing on it on top of each charge, under the crimp. When I get home, I'll have a closer look and see if I can read anything. I'm guessing at this point, that these are charged with Smokeless Powder.
    Last edited by No_1_U_Know; 01-09-2019 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master
    Aren't M32's loaded with black powder ? I have a couple of emptys in my collection WCC53.

No_1_U_Know

Black Powder

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Aren't M32's loaded with black powder ? I have a couple of emptys in my collection WCC53.
    I don't know, but I just opened one of the cartridges, which was damaged, and it's black powder. A half-load, apparently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190109_185008246.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast