Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Vintage" Red Dot and Unique Smokeless Powders

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have the last 4-5 lbs in a 12 lb keg of Unique lotted in 1969 that makes it 49 yr old . The sister 8lb can of Red Dot turned 50 last yr but there's only 3-4# of it left . Still goes bang , runs a little faster than data in most of my pistols .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

what state you in?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    If it takes forty years to finish off a pound of Unique....somebody needs to do a lot more shooting and reloading.
    Ain't it the truth.

No_1_U_Know

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Nope. Comes under 49 CFR 173.171 - Smokeless powder for small arms.

§ 173.171 Smokeless powder for small arms.
    Smokeless powder for small arms which has been classed in Division 1.3 or Division 1.4 may be re classed in Division 4.1, for domestic transportation by motor vehicle, rail car, vessel, or cargo-only aircraft, subject to the following conditions:

(a) Powders that have been approved as Division 1.3C or Division 1.4C may be reclassed to Division 4.1 in accordance with §§ 173.56 and 173.58 of this part.

(b) The total quantity of smokeless powder may not exceed 45.4 kg (100 pounds) net mass in:

(1) One transport vehicle or cargo-only aircraft; or

(2) One freight container on a vessel, not to exceed four freight containers per vessel.

(c) Only combination packagings with inner packagings not exceeding 3.6 kg (8 pounds) net mass are authorized. Inner packagings must be arranged and protected so as to prevent simultaneous ignition of the contents. The complete package must be of the same type which has been examined as required in § 173.56 of this part.

(d) Inside packages that have been examined and approved by the Associate Administrator may be packaged in UN 4G fiberboard boxes meeting the Packing Group I performance level, provided all inside containers are packed to prevent shifting and the net weight of smokeless powder in any one box does not exceed 7.3 kg (16 pounds).

[Amdt. 173-224, 55 FR 52643, Dec. 21, 1990, as amended at 56 FR 66270, Dec. 20, 1991; Amdt. 173-241, 59 FR 67509, Dec. 29, 1994; Amdt. 173-253, 61 FR 27174, May 30, 1996; 66 FR 45379, Aug. 28, 2001; 68 FR 61941, Oct. 30, 2003; 75 FR 53597, Sept. 1, 2010; 78 FR 14714, Mar. 7, 2013; 78 FR 65482, Oct. 31, 2013; 81 FR 35542, June 2, 2016]

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/pdf...ppingGuide.pdf
    ...but can I ship it?

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Hi...
    Yes...these powders are still in common use.
    I use a lot of Unique in .44Spl, .41 Mag, .44Mag and .45Colt cast lead loads.
    I have also stockpiled some Red Dot to cushion the blow if we experience another powder shortage with the new Congress coming into office.
    Thanks... Is Red Dot primarily a pistol cartridge powder?

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Ain't it the truth.
    Y'all are correct

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    what state you in?
    I'm in Louisiana

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I have the last 4-5 lbs in a 12 lb keg of Unique lotted in 1969 that makes it 49 yr old . The sister 8lb can of Red Dot turned 50 last yr but there's only 3-4# of it left . Still goes bang , runs a little faster than data in most of my pistols .
    "...runs a little faster..."? Does that mean it burns faster and creates somewhat higher peak pressures?

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by hithard View Post
    Shoot that stuff, load a few and test.

I've just come onto a few one pounders myself of rd that is Hercules in sealed tin cans, and a couple Herco and one unique in 3 lbs if irr.
    Thanks!

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    If it takes forty years to finish off a pound of Unique....somebody needs to do a lot more shooting and reloading.
    Actually, Dad was a black powder afficianado and didn't do much with smokless powder. Hee went though lots of BP, *ESPECIALLY* in the Six-Pound Field Howitzer, at about a pound of single-F per round 😉

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by No_1_U_Know View Post
    "...runs a little faster..."? Does that mean it burns faster and creates somewhat higher peak pressures?
    @harter66 ???

No_1_U_Know
    I'm in Louisiana
    @ascat ???

No_1_U_Know
    Thanks... Is Red Dot primarily a pistol cartridge powder?
    @375supermag ??

Boolit Buddy
    I still have a 12 lb keg of 4756. New, never opened that I know of. Waiting till I need it or somebody makes an offer. Original DuPont metal keg.

No_1_U_Know
    Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    I still have a 12 lb keg of 4756. New, never opened that I know of. Waiting till I need it or somebody makes an offer. Original DuPont metal keg.
    The Red Dot I have is in the metal keg as well. May never get around to using it. Time will tell...

No_1_U_Know
    I guess those "@XXXX" above don't work the way I'd hoped

@375supermag ??
    I first ran into Red Dot as shotgun powder. I believe that was what it was designed for. That said, it works quite well as a pistol powder. Many use it for cast rifle as well.

Boolit Master

I have Hercules square cans with the aluminum seal still intact (un-opened) that I plan to open and load with.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I guess those "@XXXX" above don't work the way I'd hoped
    They don’t typically do it that way here. Also if you want to sell the stuff you need to go into swapping and selling when that is available to you. The site has requirements which are listed. I would save it for the day when you finally get into reloading.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Couple years back came across a pound of #60 made about 1970 and it works as good as any Green Dot I have ever loaded. Half way through it and hoping I can find anything else before I run clean out.
    If it is stored anyways near dry and reasonable temperature it seems powder will keep on going.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast