Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Mold for a Vetterli

Boolit Master

Mold for a Vetterli

My LEE 310gr mold gave out awhile back, so I'm in the market for a better mold for my Swiss Vetterli. My rifle needs a 0.427" boolit, so a mold that drops a slight larger boolit would be fantastic. After looking at a lot of different manufactures (NOE, Arsenal, Lead Bullet Technology, Old West Bullet Molds, and Accurate), I have found two I think would be a better fit. Both are from Accurate.

The first is #42-355M. It's a 355gr monster of a boolit that is listed as being designed for the Vetterli. The only thing about it that I am concerned about is it's ability to hold a sufficient amount of lube. The grooves looks to be similar to LEE's microband grooves, though I might be mistaken.

The second mold is #42-326M. It is a little lighter, but has deeper, wider grooves and should still work well for a Vetterli.

My preference would be for the #42-355M if it can hold a sufficient amount of lube. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by am44mag; 01-02-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve read that deeper grooves don’t really add much, because the extra lube farther in doesn’t get used. Following that logic, more shallower grooves could be better.

Try contacting the manufacturer and see what they have to say.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    With my scoped M78/81 Vet the best groups I've had were with the SAECO 44 cal. 240 gr. The Lee and Accurate came in a distant second. This was at 100 yds. with 50/50 WW/Pb and 20 gr. 5744. Will be shooting at 200 in a day or so. The twist calculator I used said the 330 gr. Accurate would have to go 1600 fps to be stable in the 26" twist. Have never seen a load for that velocity.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Buddy
    Look for an old Ideal or Lyman 427103. 360 grains RN plain base with good sized lube grooves. Maybe a bit heavy but it is very accurate in my Berdan II .42 caliber rifles.

Boolit Master
    Thanks fellas for the suggestions

I didn't have much luck finding a Lyman 427103.

Looking at the Accurate 43-340A, Why does the diameter reduce half way up the bullet? I do not know much about cast bullet design. I kind of like the design.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The idea there is for the nose to 'ride' the top of the lands, to guide the boolit straight, while the rear handles gas sealing; Lets you seat a boolit out further than if the nose was full diameter (so it would engrave as you tried to seat it, making things more difficult or meaning you had to seat it deeply in the case)

Boolit Master
    The .413 diameter also comes in handy for seating deeper in the tapered neck of the Swiss.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    Let me go ahead and say that I've venturing into unknown territory for me. This is my first chamber cast, and I have no idea how to use it to my advantage.

Here's the measurements I was able to get off of it. The lengths are approximate (I don't have a good way to measure them precisely), but the diameters were done with a micrometer and are correct. How do I decide if I can make the brass longer? Would 42mm work with my rifle, or should I stick to 38mm?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vetterli.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	233544

Back to the mold, I have it narrowed down to two. The bore is 0.405", and the groove is 0.422". The throat is 0.424", so a 0.423"-0.424" boolit would probably be best. The first mold looks like it would work as is (it was touted as being designed for the Vetterli). The second would have to be ordered at a reduced diameter unless I want to order a custom sizing die (not many factory dies around that size. The closest were 0.417" and 0.427"). Would that have an effect on the bore riding portion of the boolit? At this point, I'd be happy with either bullet as long as they work. Any thoughts?

Last edited by am44mag; 01-07-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the accurate mold, it gets me too 2.20 for mag feeding

Boolit Master
    Will you load with black powder or smokeless?

I should have said, will you only be using black powder.
    Last edited by Battis; 01-10-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I was looking at the old west bullet molds site, and they have a mold specifically for the vetterli. You may want to check it out.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are loading Back I doubt either of them have enough lube capacity. Smokeless perhaps too much? Maybe lube just the interior groves?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Cast Hunter

For my 69/71 and M81, I slugged the bores and then went to http://www.mountainmolds.com/ and designed my own molds to fit the rifles. That worked best for me.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member