Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Co Ax versus BPM Hand Press?

Co Ax versus BPM Hand Press?

I had a guy come at me the other day and insist that the Co Ax press was the most accurate press out there and was superior to mine in every way. Mine couldn't be as accurate because the die holder didn't float.

I asked him to tell me why and he could only stutter.

I informed him that if the holes were aligned properly the small amount of clearance in the Shell Holder would make up for any misalignment between the die and the cartridge. I then told him that the relationship between the guide rods on my tool and the Die or Shell Holder holes was +/-.001 and done on a high dollar CNC machine which repeats nearly perfectly every time. The parts are also inspected closely by me when assembled and everything is checked for alignment after assembly.

He was pretty much shut down at that point, but then I made it clear that my tool would do something that a Co-Ax couldn't do,, And that is,,, "Stand up by itself!" Mine also fits in a nice little case and you can have your entire Reloading System contained in a Medium Tool Bag available at any Big Box Store for $15.

He is now impressed with his new BPM Hand Press which he purchased from me on the spot.

Funny how people act after a little education.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Has your tool (or the predecessor) ever loaded ammo that held a record? The lee loader held the record for smallest group at 1000 yards for 7 years according to the lee manual. For whatever reason, I find that interesting. Id like to have a book about the records held which also included the loading tools and techniques.

Boolit Grand Master

Randy

I don't own one of your presses. I do own a bunch of others including a Co Ax. The Co Ax is a very nice unit but the claims that it is the most accurate press out there is simply marketing hype.

So you're saying your press is better than the Co Ax ? I don't own one of yours so perhaps it is, but I doubt it. Hawking your wares by taking "pot shots" at a KNOWN excellent unit without proof of said results is a bit off in my opinion. But I am probably in the same situation as the "guy" you spoke to and I also just need further education. If you would send me one of your presses to compare to my Co Ax I promise I will give it an honest evaluation, right here. I'll send it back after comparing or if I find it "better" I'll purchase it from you.

I had a guy come at me the other day and insist that the Co Ax press was the most accurate press out there and was superior to mine in every way.
    That is obviously going to be false as they are different and there are no parameters in “every way”.

It would be an equally false statement to say your fine press is superior to a Co-ax in every way.

Boolit Master
    I have broadband internet service through a wire at home.
    I have broadband internet service wirelessly when I’m not at home.
    They are different, but both excel at what they do.

I’d like to try your press one day.

Boolit Grand Master

There is no comparison. Unless you like to compare pick up trucks to cab over 18 wheel Peterbilt tractors; both are "trucks" both can haul stuff, but waaaaay different. Both press are accurate (I don't have a Buchanan press, but I do own a Co-Ax) but they are very different. I don't think knowing if a certain press has produced "record ammo" has any bearing as there are many, many more things that make up an accurate load from component choice to firearm used to the shooter. As noted above, even a Lee Loader can make record holding ammo...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    If I wanted or needed a hand press, I would get Randy's. It is the reason I have a Co-Ax...it was the best at the time...45 years ago.

Randy built an excellent press for the intended purpose. Agree with mdi
    Don Verna

I know you can make record accurate ammo on just about any press and that the press plays little bearing on it. It would be a selling point for the BPM press if either it or it's predecessor had been involved in the manufacture of record book ammo. When I first seen this post I had been reading the Lee handbook and I thought its as a neat tidbit of information. I think it'd be neat to know. I meant no disrespect Randy.

I know you can make record accurate ammo on just about any press and that the press plays little bearing on it.
    It’s certainly down the list for shooting small groups. Lots of other things are much more influential.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Has your tool (or the predecessor) ever loaded ammo that held a record? The lee loader held the record for smallest group at 1000 yards for 7 years according to the lee manual. For whatever reason, I find that interesting. Id like to have a book about the records held which also included the loading tools and techniques.
    At one time Precision Shooting Magazine listed the results of several big name matches in their magazine. This included the shooters load. Brass, powder, primer, ect. Knowing the shooters equipment would have been interesting.

My whole point was that the uneducated say things which they can't back up, primarily because they don't know what they are talking about. The fact that they don't know what they are talking about seldom prevents them from spouting their opinions far and wide. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. You can see it on TV every minute of every day.

However this guy chose to do this in front of a bunch of people at one of my favorite Local Gun Shops who just so happens to have one of my Presses on the shelf.

Taking exception to his BS statements,,, I promptly retrieved the in stock tool from the shelf and sat it down in front of him and asked him to explain. Crickets.

I then showed him the advantages of my tool and then "asked for the sale." It only took once and he bought it. This was done directly in front of the shop owner who is a bit of a realist himself and really appreciated the put or shut up nature of the conversation. I might add the guy was buying it from the shop not me and paid $275+tax instead of buying it directly from me for $245 with no tax!

After being educated the guy did put his money where his mouth had previously been which I commended him for.

After he left we all had a big laugh,,, there was 10-12 guys present! Don't you wish you could have been there too?

Guys pretty much all Bench Rest Shooters load their ammo using Wilson Hand Dies. Wilson Hand Dies are nothing more than really nice Lee Loaders. The hand die concept goes way back before any of them were even born. Townsend Whelen loaded most all of his .30-06 wildcat rounds .35, 375, .400 with hand dies, and there was a story by Mike Petrov (which is here someplace)about getting a hold of Whelen's actual Hand Dies for .400 Whelen and taking measurements off them to dispel the Myth that the .400 Whelen was a problem..

One record I do have is,,, I have a guy who is loading .577 Nitro Express rounds on one of my tools. I don't think anyone has made a portable tool other than hand dies that will do that.

Another tid bit: Forester was looking at Licensing my Press last year, but decided to go with a powder measure instead. I'll have another run at them at SHOT in a couple of weeks.

Pushing a bullet into a case strait is not that big a trick. That is the biggest hurdle in reloading and most any press will do it unless the thing is cockeyed or bent.

Lee set that record back in the 60's when things were alot different than they are now. Trying to set a record based on a specific type of loading tool now would be kinda impossible, because just about anything now will push a bullet strait into a case. Machining now is simply alot better than 60 years ago.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    My whole point was that the uneducated say things which they can't back up, primarily because they don't know what they are talking about. The fact that they don't know what they are talking about seldom prevents them from spouting their opinions far and wide. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. You can see it on TV every minute of every day.

Randy
    Very true...………

I am not finding the link but awhile back there was a accuracy comparison of various presses. The Co Ax was in the middle of the pack. I do have Co Ax and it is a nice press. Like all press it has it's advantages and disadvantages.

I currently own over 20 single stage or progressive presses including a Co Ax. Nice press but the marketing claims about it's superiors accuracy are just marketing claims.

Boolit Grand Master

My whole point was that the uneducated say things which they can't back up, primarily because they don't know what they are talking about.
    This happens way too much, especially in anonymous forums. If I'm face to face with an "expert" I'll just smile, say thank you, and move on, most of the time forgetting what was said before I go 25 feet...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    This happens way too much, especially in anonymous forums...
    Yes, it certainly does. Basic decorum seems lost to have gone the same way as common sense.

Randy makes a very good hand press. I have one and put it in the same class as a Mihec mold. They both function exactly as intended but beyond that they are also precision tools that invoke a pride of ownership. I personally prefer to have a few tools like this than a large collection of mass production items.

BeeMan

My whole point was that the uneducated say things which they can't back up, primarily because they don't know what they are talking about. The fact that they don't know what they are talking about seldom prevents them from spouting their opinions far and wide.
    This is no lie. Thoes that have no idea what they are talking about are also some of the most adamant in their beliefs. They remind me of a sick child refusing to take medicine to make them better...

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "Co Ax versus BPM Hand Press?"

Randy,
    Well, can you run your press one handed?

( sorry, can't help it, it's just how my mind works,,,,,.)

As has been said, if I had need of a portable, I would own one.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar