Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: case cleaning as lead control

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I really like castboolits forum and respect most of the members, but it's still a "public" forum where, just like youtube, anyone can post almost anything without any proof, 99.0 % opinion.

I believe we are living in a sterile society with us being "protected" from everything that might, if you remained in contact with the substance 24/7 for 3 years, give you a headache. Much of which is demanded by the "Chicken Little" thinkers and politicians...

My opinion has been stated and I don't believe there will ever be a consistence on the subject. I'm done...
    There is very little (if any) profit to be had from truth, common sense or reasoned responses----FOLLOW THE MONEY!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

To keep down the dust in a dry tumbler just add some auto paint swirl remover from the auto parts store. It dampens the media, eliminating the dust, and also helps polish the brass.

I never really thought about the lead dust in the case tumblers which I have 2 the Lyman and the Thumler's Tumbler Ultra-Vibe 10 Case Tumbler but about 2 years ago I built a big wet tumbler that I can clean over 2000 233 cases in. The main reason why I have done this is because wet tumbling cleans the cases better and faster.

I am more concerned about the fumes for from melting lead when I am casting which I use a fan to help blow it away from me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4B617FF-4ED2-42C7-9030-FE389DA2206E.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	233327

Boolit Master

I do add a mineral spirits and new finish to the media.

Boolit Master

I put my 2 Vibratory tumblers out on the Patio walkway,
    I don't have room in the garage. One LYMAN 1200, one Thumblers 10. Both have solid lids. The rotary separator is used right next to them too.

After 35+yrs neither the grass nor the Rose bushes show any ill effects from the weekly exposure.

I've cast & reloaded for 60+yrs. For the past 15yrs I've used nitrile gloves when reloading, casting & gun cleaning. I have added a breathing mask with full face shield that has replaceable filters when mixing alloys. I usually mix about 100lbs at a time. Makes the wife happy.

I can't remember my lead levels from my last check, two years ago. But my Dr. said it was within normal limits. So I won't worry about it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The only time my lead level went above 5 was after I melted down a bunch of wheel weights and was drinking coffee while doing it. I knew better, but all my blood tests kept coming back with very low levels. My next test showed a level of about 19.

I've always had good ventilation in my garage where my loading and casting gear is, so I'm sure that helped me out. I've never worn gloves or any kind of mask when loading or casting. I just wash my hands really well when I'm done. I do think if you eat, drink or smoke while melting lead, you are hugely increasing your risk. Even if your level is under 20, there are still issues with prolonged low level exposure where your level is in the 15-20 range.

Boolit Master
    The only time my lead level went above 5 was after I melted down a bunch of wheel weights and was drinking coffee while doing it. I knew better, but all my blood tests kept coming back with very low levels. My next test showed a level of about 19.
    While it is easy enough to remember to never eat/drink while handling lead, the dust from tumblers can be more insidious. I do the tumbling on the garage floor next to the work bench where I do all manner of other projects. I don't drink coffee/beer while casting boolits but I certainly will drink while truing a bicycle wheel, or any other myriad of projects in the garage. Thus I'm waging war on tumbler dust. I already have a Harbor Freight rock tumbler so switching to wet tumbling should be a cinch. Biggest problem may be coming up with the $40 to buy ss pins. I just spent a bunch on a new Lee mold, RIG gun grease, a digital scale and such.

I have some diatomaceous earth in the garage for the chickens and garden. I may throw a scoop of that in the HF tumbler drum and see what that does to brass.

It might be worth your time and trouble to get a lead testing kit. Then you could test the surfaces of the stuff in the area around where you tumble the brass to see how much lead dust has actually settled in the area. This would take the questions out of the equation for you.
    I know they exist because they have been mentioned on this site before during a similar thread. I don't know where to find one or how much they might cost.

Boolit Master
    if some of you guys would get your blood checked for lead; i suspect that the results will show that "there ain"t any". myself; i will not go the hazmat suit and oxygen mask just yet

Boolit Master

I had mine checked recently; it was 8. He said that wasn't a level to be particularly concerned about, but it showed exposure and I should consider making some changes to reduce that exposure. The thing is, I hadn't done any casting at all for at least 6 months prior to the blood test. I had, on the other hand, handled brass with my bare hands that I wet tumbled, before rinsing.

I'm not worried or scared of lead, but I do want to minimize exposure. I have young kids in my house and I want to make sure they are not inadvertently exposed somehow. I've also been through the cancer thing myself, and while I don't think it was lead that caused it, or would cause it again, I'm not going to take any chances with my health.

Did some checking on lead testing kits. You can get one from Lowes that tests surfaces for lead residue for $10. Cheap way to find out if there is lead dust landing in your work area.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Did some checking on lead testing kits. You can get one from Lowes that tests surfaces for lead residue for $10. Cheap way to find out if there is lead dust landing in your work area.
    When I worked for an environmental consulting company, we did a lot of lead paint surveys on homes. The usual method is to use a one sq. foot template over the surface to be tested, then wipe inside the opening with a standard baby-wipe. Bag the wipe and send it to the lab with an unused one for a control sample. Make sure the control sample doesn't get contaminated when you touch it. Lead dust from paint is typically found on horizontal surfaces that don't get disturbed much, such as window sills. A normal house survey gets samples from all likely surfaces in every room. The sample bags are numbered and recorded on a chain of custody sheet, so you can tell where it came from. A drawing of the sample locations goes with the report sent to the client.

Most likely you won't care too much about the actual casting pot table; you already know it's contaminated. The problem with lead is not the chunks of metal, but rather the form that can be mobilized. That would be dust, and dissolved lead in water. Those are the two ways it can get in your body. If you are in an older house with a lead paint issue, you may already have some lead contamination, but just don't know it. If your casting area is adjacent to any entrance to your house, it is possible you could get lead dust on your shoes, and track it into the house. You can use the wipe method on carpet as well as hard surfaces.

Hope this helps.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

I thought about the lead from primers in the tumbling media years ago - and started decapping prior to tumbling.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    How do you safely dispose of the lead contaminated water....you don't want to pour in down the drain or on the ground. The lead would contaminate the drinking water...right ?
    gwpercle, while I'm quoting you this reply is not aimed at you personally. You just posted what a lot of us are probably thinking.

Right or wrong, I pour it down the drain. I feel that it has a minimum impact on the surrounding environment. After all, we are pouring a gallon of water that contains something measured in parts per million into a system with thousands or tens of thousands of gallons of other stuff. By the time it gets dumped into a 4 inch drain with a lot of other nasty stuff, flows into an even bigger drain with lots more nasty stuff, goes through a booster pump or two while traveling about 3 miles to the treatment plant I doubt that whatever lead that is in it can even be measured. Much better to me than dumping it in the yard.

I'm not a scientist and maybe I'm wrong about this. But I'm looking at all of the household cleaners and other chemicals going into the waste water system. This is a farming community so there are a lot of guys having their clothes washed that are contaminated with petroleum products. Oil, grease, antifreeze, diesel, ect ect. At the end of the day most farmers are wearing some hydraulic oil or diesel.

As far as guarding against being over exposed, I exercise a little care in maintaining good personal hygiene while handling lead. No eating or smoking, avoiding rubbing my eyes or lips, washing my hands before using the bathroom and some ventilation when casting. More of the same while smelting with lots of ventilation. I avoid working directly over either pot and being down wind when smelting. I cast in my 900 sq ft shop with the door open and the Grandchildren are not allowed to play in there. When I dry tumble I use dryer sheets and put a little splash of mineral spirits in the media to keep the dust down. My Dillon tumblers both have lids on them so dust should not be an issue. I'm going to guess that my loading bench where I resize and deprime cases will be my most contaminated area.

I also request having my lead levels checked when they draw blood at my annual checkup. So far they have been in the normal range.

Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by lightman; 01-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post

Sorry for the long post.
    ^ LOL "long post?" Pshaw... Not even close... LOL

It was a good post & I agree with it.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    Another one that pours it down the drain.
    Most cities have a wastewater treatment facility, any lead would settle to the bottom and be removed with heavy materials.

Banned

Particulate lead may settle out but dissolved/ionic lead won't settle out.

Any one who has any experience in plumbing would know copper water pipes in your house mostly use lead/tin solder on the joints and older houses waste water pipe that are cast iron use pure lead to seal the couplings so I would imagine that waste water plants and systems already deal. With small amounts of lead in the water so a few reloaders dumping small amou was of contaminated water down the drain would probably be a unnoticeable change
    Last edited by Cast_outlaw; 01-05-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

Boolit Master

Just got my results back from my test the week before XMAS.
    It was a 2, I had mixed 200lbs of alloy, the week before.
    And I was drinking Coffee too.

Highest reading I've ever had in 25yrs of being tested.
    But then I've cast twice a week for 2+ months.

I'm not worried.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Biggest hazard in lead poisoning is HIGH VELOCITY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast