Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Reading the Scriptures

Boolit Master

Red face Reading the Scriptures

Late last year, I determined that I should read the New Testament again, because it had been a while.
    I figured, if I could read 5 pages a day, I could finish it by the New Year. Well, I didn't make it, but I am still working at it, and will finish!

I did have some thoughts. Reading the Scriptures has always been a somewhat of a chore for me, and I particularly have trouble with Isaiah, (Not N.T.!) Revelation, and the writings of the Apostle Paul. He has a very high fog factor, for me at least. But, even though I struggle, this morning I read I Corinthians 15, and it is a jewel! Paul testifies of Christ's Resurrection, that has ensured resurrection for all who have ever have, and will ever live on the Earth! WOW!
    I think it may take reading through the unclear portions to uncover an eternal principle. Perhaps rather than a complete understanding of every word, the principles that we find are enough for the time being.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Psalms 119:105
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

There's no hurry to finish it's a life work Thank you for reading GOD's word .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    I love reading the word. I really git a charg when I find......no...when the spirit revels somthing new to me. I stop and wounder "how did I miss that"? Then I realize I was show what God wanted me to see in His time for His glory.

I had a preacher tell me if you want to know what's in the bible read the bible! Just read.....you don't understand! ......read! You having trouble following.... Read let the Spirit show you what He has for you.all understanding comes from He who is in us.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

I won't ague that God cannot reveal something to someone in Scripture "miraculously." However, the method outlined in the New Testament is individual effort augmented by a Teacher. A teacher who has spent his whole life studying the Bible is going to have information that a laymen will not get on his own no matter how much he reads through the Bible.

"And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds[a] and teachers,[b] 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ..."(Ephesians 4:11, 12)

Even a simple book like How to Read the Bible Book by Book (Fee and Stuart) will enhance any reader's understanding of context and background.

Boolit Master
    I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.
    Galatians 1:11-12 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...12&version=NIV

If you continue reading in Galatians Paul speaks of the triditions of man and that's what we have to gaurd ourselves from. Mans understanding and ideas Paul tells Timothy find yourself approved there is nothing wrong with study aides following diferent teachers but it all fall short to following the one who resides in you
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.
    Galatians 1:11-12 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...12&version=NIV

If you continue reading in Galatians Paul speaks of the triditions of man and that's what we have to gaurd ourselves from. Mans understanding and ideas Paul tells Timothy find yourself approved there is nothing wrong with study aides following diferent teachers but it all fall short to following the one who resides in you
    Your role in the Kingdom of God is not the same as Paul's. Paul was unique in that he did not receive the revelation of the Gospel from any man, but you and I did. God, for the most part, works within processes. The process of spreading the Gospel and imparting understanding of how it works is a joint effort between man and God. God sent out people who hold offices within his Church to get this done. The miraculous working of God is only in addition to what man must do.

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?" Romans 10:14
    Last edited by Ickisrulz; 01-02-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Galena Guru

you can read the entire Bible in one year by reading 3 chapters each weekday and five chapters on Sunday .. O.T. can be read once and N.T. twice by reading 4 chapters a day ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Master
    I don't discount the advantages of a good teacher. I post Oswald chambers and Greg Lowry's message every day.

Peter sat at the feet of Jeuses (what? 3 and a half years?) He still didn't get it until he received the Holly Spirit.

My role is verry much the same as Paul's, and that is to follow God will in my life,to finish the plan he has layed in front of me. I can only pray I'm half the man Peter and Paul were

But I submit,and will no longer take away from the original post.
    Sorry for the thread drift

<(*)(()><

Boolit Grand Master

Let me give you another experience. I am a compulsive reader, I read history as a hobby - when I was in grad school LOML was amazed that I was reading her geology magazines. I have studied every book of the Bible. I never successfully read it through until i got a Chronological Bible, one that is organized according to historical progression. I sat down and read it through in well less than a year. The Jewish topical organization of the Scripture is what stopped me - my mind does not work that way. My mind thinks in chronological progression, a handicap I am sure, but at almost 66 I'm unlikely to change that part of how my mind works.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I verry much enjoyed reading the bible in chronological order

<(*)(()><

Stick with it brother sniper!

Boolit Master

No hurry or time limit to read the Bible, Stay at it brother.

For quite a while, I was reading a chapter a day, and found that I could get through the NT rather quickly. I had never been too deep into the OT, but when I read Isaiah, and even Jeremiah, I found them to be very hopeful, in the midst of disaster.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free