Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget 45 auto options

Boolit Master

Having had higher end 1911 I bought a few of the RIA tactical and the plain janes , so far I have had reliability and accuracy with the tactical and if one shops around about a 400-450 price on the tactical . It gets my nod for the choice , feeds all my cast different styles . The Norinco 1911a1 were the best off the shelf I found years ago , but the price is up as others found they were good . Friend has the springfield xdm in 45 acp he loves his , lots of choices .

Boolit Grand Master

When I was looking for the same thing, I was disappointed to find HiPoint can no longer be sold in Minnesota. Not from an FFL anyway. It wasn't my favorite, but of the sub $400 45's, it's my top pick. My second choice was a Ruger American. I came really close to buying one before I found a used SIG P220 for a good price. I just don't think you will be happy with a sub $400 dollar 1911 style of any make unless you find a smoking deal on a used one. I never got to sit down with the HiPoint, but the few I've shot, there's nothing wrong with them. They shoot as well or better than a Taurus 1911. I never got to shoot a Ruger American, they are very Glock like. Similar sights and feel.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-03-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Boolit Master
    My RIA .45 GI 1911 is great. I did a bunch of work on it (tightened slide, trigger job etc.) and I can attest to the quality of the steel. Also right in spec. I may get the 9mm version too.

I did the same jobs on an SA mil-spec, and if anything the RIA had tougher steel in the frame.
    Lowering the rails was noticably more work on the RIA. I had expected the opposite. It's a very nice 1911, with the addition of an Ed Brown barrel I have no doubt it will hold 3" at 50 yds. in a machine rest.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 01-07-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Personally, I dont like those cheap 1911s. I got a buddy that has had several remingtons and a few RIA.... they "functioned" But the fit and finish left a lot to be desired over others. I seen one that looked good, but got iffy reviews, thats american classic. Not sure as I never had any experience with them.

If it were me, i'd go with the XD or Ruger P90 or P97 before i'd spend 400 on a cheap 1911.

Boolit Grand Master

The M&P I have is also a stand out performer. Multiple 500-600 round range days.

Banned
    Rock Island Armory all the way. I like my 45 ACP so much that I bought a RIA 1911 in 38 Super and another in 9mm.

But I am partial to the inexpensive and the "underdogs".

When the premium 1911 craze blew up and all of my buddies were buying Kimbers, etc. I stuck with my Auto Ordnance that I bought when I was stationed in Colorado in the early 80's.

You've heard of the old Auto Ordnance guns from Hurley NY right? The ones that all of the gurus say won't feed, won't group, etc.?

Well, other than two or three new extractors over the years mine just keeps chugging along. My grandson put 100 rounds through it just this morning.

For a new gun go with the Rock Island. If you don't want a 1911 style then I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Springfield XD's.

Steve in N CA

Banned
    Speaking from personal experience the ATI is a far better pistol than its low price suggests.

If you can find an old Ruger P-90 they are solid pistols.

I've yet to see a Glock that wouldn't work unless someone attempted to "improve" it, and that includes the G21.

Probably not a budget pistol because most owners have realized what hidden gems they are ....but if you can find a reasonably priced S&W 645 - Buy It ! Immediately. They are capable of excellent accuracy and one of the very few S&W semi-auto pistols that I would seek out.

The 1911 platform has been around so long that there are few secrets left. Most half-way decent 1911's can be made to shoot very well and there's actually some fun in making one perform well. If you like the challenge of making a good pistol there's a lot of satisfaction to be had by fitting your own pistol. For a while Norinco frames were popular because they were an inexpensive source of a frame and very good pistols could be assembled from that starting point. If you want an "out of the box" 1911 that you can just shoot - RIA or ATI would be my choice.

Boolit Master

I think if you hold out and look, you could find a SA MILSPEC in that price range.

Boolit Master

I have 2 RIA 45 1911's an ATI and a Ruger P 345 and a Hi-point. They all have served me well. And I shoot them often.

Boolit Buddy
    I have, and had, a Springfield Mil Spec, a Rock Island GI(had, it was stolen), and a Rock Tactical. I found that the Rocks are a bit tighter, especially in the chamber area than my SAI Mil Spec. Ammo that would chamber in my Springfield Mil Spec would not chamber in my Rock's barrels. When my Rock GI was stolen, I replaced it with the Rock Tactical and love it. First 1911 45 acp that I have had that didn't give me hammer bite. Because of how good it feels in my hand, I upgraded my Mil Spec to match the RIA Tactical.
    Both guns have an extra slide, with fitted barrels, so I can change calibers to 9mm and 38 Super. With the Mil Spec, I can go 9mm, 38 Super, and 10mm.
    Citadels are made by Armscor, as are the Rock Islands, and one can often find them on sale.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I suspect the Ruger SR45 will be going on closeout soon, you can probably get one for $300.00 or less.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Just go on the used market and see what you can find. I also dislike the GLock grip, probably cause I have fired 1911's for 40 years.

I had a full size XD several years ago. It was a very reliable pistol and fit well in my hand but accuracy was not great. Good but not great. If you can find an XDM in the price you want I have heard they are better.

I would take any budget 1911. A good break in or some polishing of the rails, ramp and throat will make a huge difference on cheap pistols. I'd also get several McCormick magazines for it. GI frequently work, but, the slight extra cost (and 8 rounds) is well worth it. Problems I have had with 1911's (especially in the military) were from bad magazines or worn out springs.

Every 1911 I have fired did fine with round nose FMJ. Most did well with round nose lead. Hollow points and SWC was where they got picky. I had one that hated the 185SWC but never failed with a 200SWC. My father-in-law's (Colt NM) just would not feed truncated cone bullets at all. For some reason it was ok with HP's and all SWC.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the opinions and suggestions . Are the Springfield xd and the smith MP double stack mags? Like I spoke about the Glock 21 it's sorta big for my smallish grip guessing most high capacity 45's are gonna be similar . had a P90 for many years and although large and blocky was the best and most accurate 45 I've ever owned , thing would even feed empty cases from the mag! Those who have the P345 how does it do in the accuracy department ? I've fondled a few and like how the grip feels but never shot one .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I'm impressed with the Kahr made Auto-Ordnance 1911A1!

Boolit Master
    Ruger American. Great ergo's and great price. Saw them advertised for $300 on one of the online joints

The P345 was kind of a P97 improved with a better checkered grip. I shot one once and liked it a lot. The long trigger pull of my P97 catches me sometimes but it is very accurate and has earned nightstand status long ago.

Boolit Man
    The XD & M&P are double stack, unless you do a M&P Shield which is single stack. To me the M&P has great grip ergonomics and is nothing like a glock grip. You can swap out the backstrap on a M&P to lessen or increase the grip size as well. Best bet would be to handle a few at some shops.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Ruger American. Great ergo's and great price. Saw them advertised for $300 on one of the online joints
    I'm wondering if Ruger is going to get out of the fullsize striker fired pistol market altogether in the next few years. The SR series has been axed for 2019 and the American is definitely not selling well. That market segment is beyond saturated, and neither gun has gotten any military or police use. On the other hand, Ruger's revolvers and small autos are still selling really well and are market leaders.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Thanks all for the opinions and suggestions . Are the Springfield xd and the smith MP double stack mags? Like I spoke about the Glock 21 it's sorta big for my smallish grip guessing most high capacity 45's are gonna be similar . had a P90 for many years and although large and blocky was the best and most accurate 45 I've ever owned , thing would even feed empty cases from the mag! Those who have the P345 how does it do in the accuracy department ? I've fondled a few and like how the grip feels but never shot one .
    The XD pistols are double stack but come with different grip inserts that allow you to fit the grip to your hand size.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Gotta try them out. The Glock full size frames felt too blocky, but the SF Gen 3 feels just right. The XDM even better. Try them before you dismiss them. Of all the polymer strikernfired 45’s, the XDM is my favorite (it’s in 10mm) but I also like my FNX tactical as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast