RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget 45 auto options

Budget 45 auto options

Well I have been thinking about getting another 45 auto . My carry gun is a kahr cw45 so that handles the compact light weight duties . I'm not too in touch with what handguns are available these days so I thought I'd ask for some opinions and advice . What I'm wanting issomething $400 or less in a full size frame 4-5" barrel . So far what I've seen available new or used are the Ruger p90 and p345 and the 1911 types from RIA and ATI , besides a hi point what others may I be missing that would fit my list ? I've heard good and not so good about the RIA and ATI brands of 1911 anyone have any first hand experience ? The Glock is an option too but is just a touch chubby for my hand

Thanks , Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

RIA 45 auto is a good basic pistol I got my cc in NM with one and some else borrowed it and qualified with it. They are not fancy and are about like what a real GI model would be. You can spend more money and get something that works better. I one I used needed to be cleaned after 400 rounds were fired through it at that cc qualification day. Hope that answers your questions. Mine went down the road when I found something else I just had to have.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Tim
    I have owned an ATI.45 Auto for about six years. Bought it new for $450. Has been totally reliable. Fired mostly Lee 230 Round nose with Unique, but it has been reliable with other weights and profiles. Can't complain at all about its accuracy. Love it.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Boolit Master
    The Springfield XD45 is a really sweet 45. They can be found all day in the 400 range. There was one at the LGS for 275 with some holster wear.

Banned

^^^ Makes sense

You seem to have located some pretty good options, and there isn't anything really wrong with any of them. I bought a RIA last year, added a beaver tail, bobbed the hammer a bit, and installed a light weight medium length trigger. It's plenty accurate, and never jams. I think I saw some police trad-in Glock 21s on the market awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    The Springfield XD45 is a really sweet 45. They can be found all day in the 400 range. There was one at the LGS for 275 with some holster wear.
    This^^^^^^^
    I have recently found a couple of different XD(one XD, one XDm) series 45ACP full size pistols for well under that $400 figure.
    I can attest to how well they work.
    1911 pistols are also a great choice but finding one in that price range can be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I think I saw some police trad-in Glock 21s on the market awhile back.
    Unless you have the option to return the pistol after testing it, stay away from these. They were very inconsistent when it came to reliability. Light strikes were a particular problem. I would get the XD45 over a cheap 1911, they just plain work.

Boolit Man
    Don't rule out Kahr manufactured Auto Ordnance 1911's. I have the parker GI version that runs great. American made as well. There is also the Ruger SR45, Ruger American or M&P 45 that can be had for less than $400 new.

Keep an eye on Slickguns.com (Search for handguns in 45 ACP) or Palmetto State Armory's daily deals.
    Last edited by Huntsman52; 01-02-2019 at 04:18 PM.

I bought a used Ruger P97 .45auto several years ago and it hasn't jammed or been cleaned since thru several hundred rounds. $275 well spent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have the RIA tac model (commander hammer, beavertail and dovetailed sights) and love it. Cheap enough to play with but more accurate than I am.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

I have had three of the RIAs, and they were all good pistols. When I got my first one, I sold my Kimber. These were Tactical models, with improved sights, and they shot as well as any 1911 I have owned.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Well since you stated a budget pistol, then there is always the Hi-Point .45 auto pistol. Some people think it looks ugly though. But the guns are quite reliable and hang in there taking all sorts of abuse and still work.
    You can sometimes find them for under $200 usually for $169 or so too.

Boolit Master

My ATI Govt model 1911 cost me about $380 a couple years ago. The bore throat was messed up from the factory, went back on their dime. Turnaround was quick though, and it's been perfect ever since. Accuracy is very acceptable and reliability has been perfect. I've been really happy with it, for a cheap gun. I've only got maybe 500 rounds through it so far.

From what I've seen the best value for under $400 in a 45acp would be a Ruger P series, used. They
    are kind of ugly but well made and dependable. I see quite a few of them used in like new condition for under $400. I don't care for them because I have small hands and they are a bit bulky to me. I
    have owned them in 9mm & 45acp and they were accurate shooters. I have a good bit of experience
    with Colt 1911s & GI models and had little trouble with them. Mostly mag problems or a particular
    bullet they didn't function well with. The clones I have owned but never considered keeping them.
    Plastic I have no experience at all except to shoot for function.

Boolit Master

you could find a used Glock 21 in that price range + or - $50
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I like and favor the RIA 1911s and have a few. They're made by Armscor, an international ISO 9001 quality certified company, and are warrantied for life. Not many gun manufacturers are ISO 9001 quality control certified. The RIA 1911s run right out of the box, eat everything, and are accurate. Go to the RIA website and view all the options available; tactical, standard, etc. and then shop for the best price. One thing, that caught my eye on the RIAs, were the Rockwell hardness marks on many of the parts; that's a sign of quality control inspection. Also, whoever set up my RIA 1911s knew what they were doing.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Grand Master

XD Family XD, XDM, XDS
    Lower end 1911
    Ruger P series
    Ruger Blackhawk with 45 acp cylinder (not sure if you meant 45 auto as in caliber or 45 in a semiauto pistol)
    Beretta PX4
    Kahr full size
    Glock SF frame gen 3
    CZ/EAA

I’m sure there are others. Mostly a used market proposition. Take your time. The right deal will pop up.

I picked up a new M&P 45 for under $325, it’s not the 2.0, but it shoots very well and I prefer the grip angle over Glock. They are a great poly option. If you want a 1911, and on a budget, then Rock Island Armory gets the nod. However, save a little more for a Ruger 1911, or save a little more and the options get even better.

Boolit Master

Buds has the MP45 for 389.00 with a 4” barrel. 10+1 rounds. I have the 4.5” version and it has been a rock solid performer. Have a few 1911’s etc. and if I was picking up a 45 for defense would be the mp45 each time...ymmv. Like you I consider a glock in 45 a contender right up to the moment I actually grasped the behemeth grip...

Kev
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 01-02-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast