Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 1873 Winchester Lever; 45 Colt

Boolit Buddy

1873 Winchester Lever; 45 Colt

I have a new Uberti 1873 Comanchero (Taylor) in 45 Colt and a 20" octagon barrel, I used this past year in SASS matches. Decided SASS was not for me so decided to hunt it one time before selling it. Looking at all the 230 gr/14000 psi data I could find, I tested 15 different powders with my own 230 FN LBT bullet I cast. I also tested 9 different powders with my own 283 gr WFN LBT bullet I cast. For that data I used Brian Pearce's RCBS 45-270-SAA (284-285 gr) 14,000 psi load data in the April 2007 issue of Handloader magazine. I settled on the 283 WFN with Longshot, running 1176 fps. One could eat right up to the hole that bullet made when it sailed right through the mulie doe I took a few weeks back. That's a load I'd use on an elk.

Alan

Boolit Master

Alan that is a nice picture that demonstrates that your hard work in developing a good load for your 1873 45 colt was worth it. Nice rifle and very nice doe. I prefer a doe for the better eating venison, especially when compared to an older buck who has been "around the horn" so to speak. I imagine if and when you post your rifle for sale that it will go pretty fast.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nice! Did the deer drop on the spot?

Banned

Lead Bullets Technology
    It works
    That 73 is a nice rifle

Good Job,,You may not want to sell the gun, it looks like your ready to do that next year with that smile.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the exact same Uberti M73 except mine is a Cimeron. I don't hunt with it, so far anyway, but do shoot a lot of 200 gr cast at 1200 fps through it. It is a fun carbine. Good story and hunt.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I've use a Lee cast 255FN bullet that works well in mine, and feeds better in the 1873 Uberti action better than the 45-270-SAA (cartridge length can be critical in that short action, as can the SWC design!). Great picture of your successful hunt - you might want to reconsider your rifle sale. Using a 1873 hunting tool and cast bullets (IMO) to take game "up close and personal" gives me more satisfaction than looking over a "high tech" scope on a "high tech" tactical rifle shooting at an animal in the "next county". Happy New Year!

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your cast boolit doe. In 2017, I was able to take my first cast boolit doe, using the Lee 455-250 RF out of my Henry 45lc.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Nice! Did the deer drop on the spot?
    Yes, she actually did.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations !
    Utter shock that a slow velocity lead slug can still harvest a corn cruncher ! Well done !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.