MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 219 Zipper

Boolit Buddy

219 Zipper

Anyone form 219 Zipper cases from 30-30? I've got an RCBS form set, but struggle getting defect free 219 cases. Best luck so far is lubing form die #1, and remove lube for forms #2 and #3. Also, will the cases need to be reamed? If so, where are reamer dies available, would a Wasp ream die work, and what size reamer would be best? Thanks, Dan

Boolit Master
    I make improved zippers from 30/30 which I'm guessing is a lot easier than the regular zipper because of all the taper you need to form. I don't have to ream the necks on mine -- if the cartridge chambers easily and the fired case is then a slip-fit for a .224 bullet (as mine is) you shouldn't need to ream the neck. But if a .224 bullet is a somewhat tight fit in a fired case you need to do a little reaming. And I'd think a Wasp ream die would work fine -- just adjust the die for the longer case.

I also form 22 High-power, which is a lot more like your zipper. For this I've been using Hornady 25/35 brass because it is so much easier than from 30/30. I know -- 30/30 brass is so much easier to get for virtually nothing. But 25/35 brass makes it awful nice. And I've been using spray lube (Hornady one-shot or a homemade version thereof). Let it dry well before using or it'll stick a case. And it sure reduces neck dents.

I should add that I haven't used a reamer die -- if I need to reduce neck diameter I have used the neck turn attachment to my Forster case trimmer.

Boolit Buddy
    I make .219 Zipper cases, 25-35 cases are the easiest. Starting from 30-30, I start with a 7-30 trim die shortened to put the shoulder to the 25-35 length then into a 25-35 trim die, then .219 Zipper FL die. Even with this I was getting wrinkled brass and losing brass at the 25-35 stage, worse at .219 sizing. I finally dumped the Imperial sizing wax and use RCBS pump spray. Here are some Pics of fully annealed 30-30 at the 25-35 stage, I wiped the lube from neck & shoulder before the 25-35 trim sizing, the 4 on the left were not cleaned of lube. I do outside neck turn.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FAAA6451-FBE3-461F-9A2D-81DE7EF3AB37.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	233364