Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Home Ground Flour

Boolit Master

Home Ground Flour

Yesterday I stayed in the house most of the day because of a nasty blizzard, so I got hungry for some home made bread. Made some fresh rye and wheat flour with a Little Gem electric grain mill I found at a local auction, and it really works well. Anyone else grind their own flour, and what brand mill do you use?

I grind my own. I use a KoMo mill, which does a very nice job. My favorite is baking on brew day, when I get to use some spent grain and extra wort in the dough. Planning to do spent grain pizza on Friday.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Vitamix for both corn and wheat. Pretty slick for small batches.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I don't grind my own, but the best pancakes I have ever made, were made with stone ground wheat from a local mill. They were grinding wheat to show how it was done years ago when the mill was active.

Boolit Master

My wife has an attachment for her kitchen Aid Mixer. Works well enough for small lots of flour. When I have seed wheat cleaned every year for my farm I save 3 or 4 gallon zip lock bags for grinding. She mixes half commercial bread flower and half home ground to make sour dough bread.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a country living grain mill. it lists for $409. I got it for $25 at a thrift shop. I have not tried it out yet. want to grow my own corn this year to use it on.

Boolit Master

We have ground our own wheat for about 6 or 7 years. We buy the Hard White Spring wheat berries from a local Mennonite store in 50 # bags. the brand is Wheat Montana and the name they use for our wheat is "Prairie Gold". The mill we have is The Kitchen Mill by Blendtec. This produces a darker bread and we also use it for biscuits, pancakes, and waffles. I'm saying we, but in truth the work is done by the baker of the house, my wife of 51 years. I believe that making homemade bread is somewhat of an art, and I'm glad to say that my wife has it down to perfection. It is a lot of work for her but you'd just have to be here on baking day when the three loaves come out of the oven to appreciate it.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    never ground own flour.but can still remember my moms home made bread that fancy store bought bread was a luxury we couldn't afford. i sure do miss some of the things that my mom made. we didn't realize how good we were eating.

Moderator Emeritus

We have had a grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid for 25 years or so. Mostly use hard red winter wheat, we live 20 minutes from Wheat Montana Corporate. Most of what my wife cooks with we run 50-50 white flour and home ground wheat.
    I have to sift it to make decent sourdough. Something about the roughened edges from a grinder cutting the strands as the dough forms.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

I do it all the time, I use a Retzel hand cranked mill http://retsel.com/store/product_info...e4955196e98321 good flour mills, customer service is crappy and well known about them LOL I use my bread machine n dough setting and bake on my bread stone. I have their second largest rectangular stone https://bakingstone.com/shop/home_oven/ commercial grade. Stays in the oven all the time.

We've ground some but the wife bakes so much we just use store bought flour so I'm not constantly grinding. I just leave the grinder set up course and grind my beer grains now

In Remembrance

I bake our bread. My favorite recipe is 1 pkt yeast, 1 C warm water, 1/4 C honey. Stir in a bowl and cover about 15 min to activate yeast. Add 1/4 tsp salt, then mix in approx. 3 C flour and knead 4 min.. cover and let rise in a warm place until double. Punch down and knead for another min.. place in loaf pan and let rise again. Bake at 375 for about 30 min. I throw a tablespoon of water in the bottom of the oven then quickly shut the door as the baking begins to put a nice crust on the bread.