Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: .458 464gr bullts need load help

Arrow .458 464gr bullts need load help

I just got a new NEI mold Saterday it has a melpat of .35 , bullet dia .460, and a gas check. It for a Marlin 1895GS 45-70. The weight ended up being 464gr. I like to load with IMR4198. Does enyone have eny info on loading this bullet? recoil is not a problem.

The 47th & 48th editions Lyman's Reloading Handbooks specify a starting load of 28.5grs. IMR 4198 for the Marlin 336/1895 & Win. 1886 rifles, but they don't list a max. load for a 464gr. CB. Extrapolating from their data, however, suggests using NO MORE THAN 38.5grs. 4198 IF you approach that load with caution and cease using such loads at the first signs of excessive pressure or shoulder bruising, whichever comes first.

Boolit Man
    If that mold is for a 500gr. bullet with a #2 mix it is to long of a bullet to use in a 1895 Marlin. It would have to be seated to deep into the case and would cause excessive pressure when fired. A better choice would be a bullet that casts in the 400gr. area with a #2 mix.

TGM

It was listed as a 440gr mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Is that NEI # 346 or # 352A ?
    Real guns shoot at least an ounce of lead

It's the #346 .458-440-GC

Boolit Buddy
    Yes sir , NEI 346 , is a dandy Boolit design !

Everyone that I am aware of , has noted that as-cast boolits are always 25-35 grains heavier that the list weight . I'm not sure why that is . It may be cause they all use a heavier alloy, or it may be a typo error . The weight of the gascheck shank , if it were removed would be about 30 grains . the NEI cataloge lists it as a 440 GC AND they have list 415 directly under it . This is just my thought , but I suspect what happened is this : the boolit was originally offered in two wieghts 440 and 415 BOTH plain based , look at the two bottom bands , see how much wider they are compared to the rest ? ( I should get up off my lazy hind end and cut a boolit back and weigh what remains ) I suspect that the Gascheck design came ,s an after thought,and nobody updated the increased weight .

Not that I have a problem with extra weight . It is a good thing , it helps push that wide nose though stuff .

I slowly worked up a load using IMR 4198 and this boolit , in my Japchester extra-lite . I got to 40 grains ( approximately 1500fps ) before I decided that 4198 was too fast of a powder for that boolit weight . I backed the load down to 30 grains , which is a nice mild load .

I found that the slower IMR 3031 , is a better powder with this weight boolit , and my go to load is 45 grains of IMR 3031 . I estimated that the pressure with this load is near the same as the IMR 4198 BUT I get 1620-1640 FPS . I have gone up to 47 grains IMR 3031 but that is compressing the powder IMO too much .

BOTH 40 grains of 4198 AND 45 grains IMR 3031 are known to be OVER Trapdoor pressure Levels . Proceed with cation !
    Real guns shoot at least an ounce of lead

Boolit Master
    NEI used to use linotype for their molds. RCBS uses 10:1 tin/lead, Lyman uses #2, Magma uses 2-6-92, Ballisti Cast uses some alloy that is harder than the hinges of a politicians heart. Mountain Molds uses wheel weights, so there is some common ground, they all have lead in em.

Check with a guy by the handle of Reflex264. He has a forum on http://levergunlovers.com/index.php

He's into the commercial side of high end levergun ammo. He'll have pressure tested data on the Cast performance 460 gr GC boolit. I used to use them before I got into casting. H322 and Federal 210M primers were the go-to load. H335 is also very good. 4198 will probably do ok for you too, just not as many use it for the heavy bullet levergun loads.

I've always used IMR4198 in my 45-70 I have 3lbs of IMR and I'd like to use it up before I buy new powder. It just isn't as cheap as it once was. Just wish pay checks would keep up.