MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9mm reloading

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Problem with this guesstimate is you assume the plastic tray is uniform?

The white plastic trays I use are uniform enough to easily sort the 9mm parabellum that I want from both the long and short 9mm variants. It's true that occasionally the holes can have flash from their being extruded, but all that does is make the case stand taller and crooked: different enough from the others that it gets inspected and sorted individually.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I can't remember the last time I even bothered to check the case length of a 9mm casing.
    I was going to say that also but when you tell people all that measuring and trimming 9mm cases is just a big waste of their time they get all upset and bothered . I sweep up all the fired 9mm cases from the range floor , discard any not reloadable, and then start resizing them ... it just doesn't make much difference at all if they are not all the exact same length .
    I'm sure he wont believe what we are saying anyway but we at least tried !.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I remember....Never ! I've never trimmed one either.
    You know i must be really anal about this or.maybe after spending the money on the trimmer and all new shell holders i trim every case i load

If I were going to create some match grade loads for my 9mm handguns, and I do have a couple that are that good, I would make the cases as perfect as I possibly could. Trimming is part of that process.
    For my use, I don't need to.
    I have never had a 9mm fail to chamber because the case was too long.

I check the 9mm cases for to see if they are too short,other then that I very seldom will trim one that is too long it will have to be way over the max length. I use the short case for my wheel gun for 9mm and trim them down for make some 9mm shorts and will be easy to pick out after I tumble them.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I check the 9mm cases for to see if they are too short,other then that I very seldom will trim one that is too long it will have to be way over the max length. I use the short case for my wheel gun for 9mm and trim them down for make some 9mm shorts and will be easy to pick out after I tumble them.
    I like that idea. I may steal it since I have a 9mm revolver that uses moon clips.

Boolit Master
    I thought pistol brass gets shorter, not longer, with multiple firings?

For practice ammo, I use 9mm cases from my range, where just about everybody reloads. The ammo functions fine. For big matches, I use once fired single head stamp cases of the same brand I've used consistently over the years (not because the brand itself is better but because it loads well and is readily available) which has smaller SDs on velocity testing and I think (old eyes and hands, here) is more accurate, and which I attribute in part to all the cases being constructed of the same brass, on the same machinery, to the same design specifications and QC, to the same dimensions, including length, and has been fired the same number of times.

In both cases, I've never checked case length.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I thought pistol brass gets shorter, not longer, with multiple firings?

For practice ammo, I use 9mm cases from my range, where just about everybody reloads. The ammo functions fine. For big matches, I use once fired single head stamp cases of the same brand I've used consistently over the years (not because the brand itself is better but because it loads well and is readily available) which has smaller SDs on velocity testing and I think (old eyes and hands, here) is more accurate, and which I attribute in part to all the cases being constructed of the same brass, on the same machinery, to the same design specifications and QC, to the same dimensions, including length, and has been fired the same number of times.

In both cases, I've never checked case length.
    That is true for straight walled pistol cases. I include 9mm in there even though it is a tapered case.
    Not sure about bottleneck pistol cases(think 357SIG).

Boolit Master
    GONRA's been reloading 9mm "range brass" for nearly 60 years.
    Found lottsa stray bloated crap to discard, but don't remember trimming any cases... ???

Boolit Bub
    I know this is an old thread but I actually do believe you now!I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t in any danger due to a difference of .10 or more on the brass.I also found that with all the brass variances that my oal is all over the place when reloading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Russman View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I actually do believe you now!I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t in any danger due to a difference of .10 or more on the brass.I also found that with all the brass variances that my oal is all over the place when reloading.
    Case OAL or cartridge OAL ? If you have wide range of case lengths, then sort by HS and get rid of the cases that are too short.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123