Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
PBcastco Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which lever action ?

Here in Pennsylvania I acquired most of my 4500 once fired 30wcf (30-30) cases in one weekend, by driving around to several (three) state ranges the weekend before opening Day of deer season (an unofficial State Holiday) when Everyone and their Uncle and all their cousins were sighting in their deer rifles.
    Back then I also collected a couple of hundred 32Win Specials, but Some other guy was collecting those and he offered me all the 30-30s he had collected for them (I traded).

Some other guy was interested in the 50 or so 38-55s he had collected and offered me half a 5gal pail of once fired R-P 30-06 cases and I took that deal as well. it offends me when I find a guy collecting reloadable center-fire brass for scrap, and I'm always happy to trade something I don't use for something I will, but Range pickups are easy to get particularly just before deer season opens and even scrappers are not immune to the song sung by pictures of Dead presidents (Jackson and Grant) and founding fathers (Franklin & Hamilton)

Just remember New Virgin brass is $80 for a hundred in most popular Rifle cartridges, stuff that isn't popular is often priced so you'll ask is it made of silver? Like one of my Brother's Rifles he has a 30-378Weatherby and those cases might as well be made of silver at $4 EACH

Boolit Master

? for the OP

So C-dub, did you make up your mind and find a rifle yet?

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    Here in Pennsylvania I acquired most of my 4500 once fired 30wcf (30-30) cases in one weekend, by driving around to several (three) state ranges the weekend before opening Day of deer season (an unofficial State Holiday) when Everyone and their Uncle and all their cousins were sighting in their deer rifles.
    Oh wow... I have got to give that trick a try this year! Of course, when my wife opens the Home Depot bucket and finds it full of brass, I may catch it, but sacrifices must be made.
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    So C-dub, did you make up your mind and find a rifle yet?
    Yes I did.
    Found a perfect 94 Big Bore Winchester in .375.
    Mounted a Lyman peep sight on it and am currently working up loads.

Boolit Master
    I've had multiple Marlins and Winchesters (and still do) and have had 4 times as many problems with Marlins. I like both, but have much better service with Winchesters. Also, no microgroove rifling in Winchesters.

I don't recommend .35 Remington. I had one for about 15 years. It was ok, but Marlins in .35 have no leade and will not accept many cast bullets. Also, the short neck is sub-optimal for cast bullets. And, brass is not common. For a 2 or 3 years I could find neither brass nor loaded ammo. My intention was to rechamber it to .356 Winchester and use necked up .308 brass (aka .358 Winchester), but eventually decided to just sell it.

For your stated purpose, I would get a Winchester 94 in .30-30. Preferably a pre-'64, if you can find one that's not too expensive.

ETA: I just saw that you got a BB 94 .375. Good choice! I've had one of those, too. Back when they were new. You can also fire .38-55 in it, and you can fire-form .30-30 brass for cheaper and more readily available brass.
    Also, round ball intended for .36 cap and ball revolvers is the correct diameter for it. Just tumble lube them.
    Last edited by Tracy; 05-12-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have certainly enjoyed my Mossberg 464 30/30 for the last nine years. It has shot and fed well any CB's from 130 gr to 170 gr. that I have cast for it for the last nine years. I have not deer hunted with it but it has done well on coyotes with both the plain base and gas checked 130's at an MV of about 1350 fps. With 160 RNGC's at 1600 FPS it has proven accurate with iron sights out to 300 yards on gallon paint cans.. Just last week I saw them advertised at an LGS for $299.99 which is the lowest price I have seen in years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I've had multiple Marlins and Winchesters (and still do) and have had 4 times as many problems with Marlins. I like both, but have much better service with Winchesters. Also, no microgroove rifling in Winchesters.

I don't recommend .35 Remington. I had one for about 15 years. It was ok, but Marlins in .35 have no leade and will not accept many cast bullets. Also, the short neck is sub-optimal for cast bullets. And, brass is not common. For a 2 or 3 years I could find neither brass nor loaded ammo. My intention was to rechamber it to .356 Winchester and use necked up .308 brass (aka .358 Winchester), but eventually decided to just sell it.

For your stated purpose, I would get a Winchester 94 in .30-30. Preferably a pre-'64, if you can find one that's not too expensive.

ETA: I just saw that you got a BB 94 .375. Good choice! I've had one of those, too. Back when they were new. You can also fire .38-55 in it, and you can fire-form .30-30 brass for cheaper and more readily available brass.
    Also, round ball intended for .36 cap and ball revolvers is the correct diameter for it. Just tumble lube them.
    If you couldn't find a cast bullet that worked in the .35 Remington, you didn't look very hard. Either the Lyman 206 grain RN or the RCBS 200 grain FP work great (NOE and Lee make clones of the RCBS bullet). Both of those are designed for the .35 Remington. Brass isn't really that hard to find either, just gotta look for it a little.

I have both Winchester 94s and Marlins. I do not own a micro grooved Marlin, all mine are old waffle tops. Generally, I too like the Winchesters a little better. Strange as it seems considering how much more complicated a design the Winchesters are, they do seem to work better. Marlins seem to develop jamming problems rather easily, never had that happen with a '94.

As for calibers, take your pick. I've killed deer with .30-30, .32 Special and .35 Remington, they all work fine.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I have certainly enjoyed my Mossberg 464 30/30 for the last nine years. It has shot and fed well any CB's from 130 gr to 170 gr. that I have cast for it for the last nine years. I have not deer hunted with it but it has done well on coyotes with both the plain base and gas checked 130's at an MV of about 1350 fps. With 160 RNGC's at 1600 FPS it has proven accurate with iron sights out to 300 yards on gallon paint cans.. Just last week I saw them advertised at an LGS for $299.99 which is the lowest price I have seen in years.
    I want a 464. Had the itch to get one of the short, laminated ones with the Marine cote finish, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    Yes I did.
    Found a perfect 94 Big Bore Winchester in .375.
    Mounted a Lyman peep sight on it and am currently working up loads.
    I just now handled a Winchester Big Bore 375 XTR. Top eject , no safety, at $1,100 gasp! I'm so thankful for my Jes 38-55.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I honestly don’t think you could go wrong with any of your choices. There’s something about a lever action, you can’t just own one. Once you get one, you’ll want another one. LOL

Lever Action Rossi 92 357 Mag.rifle.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Bub
    I have 2 Rossi 92's in 45 Colt. I went through the actions on both guns. Very slick

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    38-55 or .358 Winchester would be my choice . Rifle to shoot them in should be determined by what handles best for you . I tend to do better with the older Marlins but my son prefers Winchester or clones . My .358 is a Browning .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    I like my Savage 99's 308 win. And one in 300 Savage.

Boolit Master
    You will like that top eject BB94! I have one in 375 as well, actually it could serve as my only levergun. 10gr of 20/28 (think unique) with the Lee is a giant 22, deer capable plinker. A 284 gr NOE and some rifle powder makes a nice 38-55 substitute for any deer I’m likely to see. Then you can load it to real 375Winchester levels with that 284gr bullet and go looking for a mastodon! All are accurate and it is very light and handy for hunting! Good choice!!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Marlin 1893, No. 5 engraving, half octagon, 2/3 mag, fancy walnut, .38-55, special factory order with 14 1/2" LOP and skeleton buttplate. Mfg. 1896.NRA excellent, sharp checkering and 99% original factory case colors. Absoluotely, no alternative. Must have only this rifle, end of discussion!

LOL...Best of luck!

Did I mention the gold inlays?

Boolit Mold
    There is something about the 45-70 that is hard to explain. It is just a fun, all round, rifle to shoot. It can be loaded down for fun shooting, or loaded to take care of anything that walks this earth. Obviously there are other rifles that are preferred for really big game, but the 45-70 could still be used. It is easy to reload, easy to casts for, and shooting it reminds you that things (or people) that are old can still get the job done. There are lots of others, but there is just something about the 45-70....
    You can get much further with a kind word, and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone. Al Capone

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree about the 45-70
    I have a remlin that shoots very good
    I must have gotten a good one
    but the 45-70 is a hoot take any game I want with it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345