Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which lever action ?

Boolit Buddy

Which lever action ?

Decided it's time to get a new (to me) lever action to hunt and play with but not sure what caliber I want.
    It will be used for plinking (with reduced loads) and whitetail deer and maybe hog hunting.
    I don't care if its a hard to get round because I'll reload and cast all of my ammo.
    I am considering 30/30, 32 Winchester special, 35 Remington and 45/70 so far.
    I like the old rounds and would like to hear your opinion on these and any others that you would recommend.

Also, what guns you would suggest in said caliber would be nice.

JM Marlin
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

I have a number of lever actions, 92s and 94s and 95s
    JMs, Winchester, Rossi, and Mossberg
    The best deal on a new 30-30 is the Mossberg 464 in my opinion
    Hope you find what you are looking for.

Pre 1998 mfg JM Marlin in .30-30 or .32 Special. Very easy to reload for, super cast friendly, plentiful brass and will serve hunting purposes for game small and large. A 100 grain bullet over 10-12 grain 2400 = plinking and small game such as rabbits and squirrel, a 170-180 grain bullet over 30 grains of R15 or 3031 and you are good for deer, antelope, elk, moose and black bear at appropriate ranges, (150 yards or less).
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m partial to .45-70. I think it is a great cartridge for Hogs and with lighter hollow point loads for deer. You can even load round balls with light loads for rabbits.

If you’re reloading and casting, the cost of ammunition shouldn’t be a big of a factor in your decision. Also, I’ve found them to be the easiest to work up a good load for with cast boolits.

So, unless you’re going for long range, .45-70.

I'll second what Dan Cash had to say. I tend to favor the Winchester 94', but the smoother operation of the Marlin has me always looking at them. I currently own a pair of Wincheser 94's, sentimental to them for no other reason I reckon.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Pre crossbolt safety Marlin. If you buy your lead or boolits i would go 30-30 or 35 rem, otherwise 45-70.

BB

Boolit Master
    I like my Marlin 1894 in .44, but a .357 or .41 would work for deer or hogs too. I have other levers in .30-30 and .45-70. The revolver cartridges are just easy to load and cheap to feed.

Mine is a JM but I’ve seen a few new manufactured 1894 rifles that looked pretty good. IMHO They are all a gamble till you get a chance to wring them out.

Boolit Buddy
    I am partial to the Marlin, but then again I have one in .45-70!

I’m a Winchester guy have 3 of them a 94-22 a 1895-30-40krag(old girl) and a 92 in 44-40 if I were you I’d look at the revolver cartridges I’m partial to 44-40 brass is available and Boolits are fairly common any way best of luck and have fun happy new year to

A Winchester in 32 spl . Just cuz everyone else don't have one !
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

They're all good! For general all around lever action use I usually pick up my .30-30 Win. If I was going for something the size of an elk I'd take my .356 Win.

Boolit Master
    have a Marlin and they are good. My favorite I is a 16.5" Henry .41. A 212 gr cup point at an easy 1770 is plenty. I have taken a pig of 260# and all manner of deer. I have done this with 255grains down to the present cup point. Feeds fine and is accurate enough to pass the 100 long step mark. As would a .429 mag, .45 Colt, etc. My other fav was a Savage M99 .358. It is good for most anything to about 250+ Currently I am using Lee. 358 mold/ 208 gr over h322 for 2280. a .358 and cast is always good.

I have quite a few JM Marlins in an array of calibers but for plinking and smoothness you can't beat the Henry in 357. If you buy into having to have a howitzer to kill a hog, then 45 colt.

Banned

Any of them are good. I agree with finding an older one (pre-crossbolt safety). Lots of .30 caliber bullets. I like the .32 Special as well, the .35 Remington is awesome and allows the use of .38 revolver bullets for plinking loads.

All of them work great for up to deer sized game using cast.

This one in .38-55:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...4-sporter.html

BTW, the .38-55 is the case that spawned the .30-30 and .32 Special.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Pre 1998 mfg JM Marlin in .30-30 or .32 Special. Very easy to reload for, super cast friendly, plentiful brass and will serve hunting purposes for game small and large. A 100 grain bullet over 10-12 grain 2400 = plinking and small game such as rabbits and squirrel, a 170-180 grain bullet over 30 grains of R15 or 3031 and you are good for deer, antelope, elk, moose and black bear at appropriate ranges, (150 yards or less).
    I agree with Mr. Cash on this one.....well said.

I would go a step further and add the 35Rem to that lineup. Brass might not be as commonly available as the 30/30, but isn't any harder to find than the .32 and it has the advantage of being able to use 38/357 slugs to make light-moderate loads.
    ~Charlie U.

The Marlin 336T combined the handling of the 94 Win with the smooth action and accuracy of the Marlin. If I just had one, that would be the one I'd want. 30-30 of course.
    As it is, I have a Marlin 30-30 and a Winchester 38-55 and I'm happy. But a 1894CL in .32-20 or a 1894CB in .41 Rem mag would be most welcome.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I have a number of lever actions, 92s and 94s and 95s
    JMs, Winchester, Rossi, and Mossberg
    The best deal on a new 30-30 is the Mossberg 464 in my opinion
    Hope you find what you are looking for.
    A Mossberg 464 is on my list of ones to have at some point, I truly like the way Mossberg has come back so well and filled the lever gun niche left empty when Winchester went under (I know you can still get a '94, but it isn't the same). Something I wish Mossberg would do is to make more variants of it; other calibers for sure, but perhaps a version with a pistol grip, longer barrel and a two-thirds magazine tube like the Winchester 64. Not sure if it's a big enough action, but .45-70 lever guns seem to be selling like hot cakes lately, I think Mossberg is missing out on sales by only making the basic model.

I'm also a Marlin fan...get a JM in 35 Rem. (Pre-2008) It will do well on both deer, hogs, and bear.

Its easy to reload for...and shoots cast well also.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast