Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11.15X58R Werndl from what brass?

Quote Originally Posted by water bug View Post
    One more question. Is 11.15X58R Werndl ( Manlicher M-1886) cases head space measured from the back of the rim or at the necking? If from the neck, I will need to be careful how I neck down the blown out .348 ' s. Thanks, WB
    Once fireformed to your chamber, the brass will headspace off of the newly formed shoulder. At this point, you shouldn't need to full-length resize for a very long time, perhaps never. So your only sizing concern at this point would be sizing your neck to provide some tension on whatever sized bullet fits your bore. I got lucky with mine....so I can basically hand-seat a .446 boolit in a fired case without sizing at all. I then add a slight roll-crimp (of sorts) using the bevel at the bottom of a 44mag sizing die. It just happened to be the right diameter for the brass to catch the bevel and not actually enter the die, so the angle of the bevel slightly forces the neck into the crimp groove. Some of the boolits will spin in the neck, with a bit of effort, but I've never had one push out of neck from compression.

Does this help? I might have just confused myself??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Man
    That helps. I will fire form, once I get the shells down to fitting in the chamber. I am starting with .348 shells that have been fire formed out to straight . The case mouth is about . 540" OD. After annealing should I size down in stages? How much each stage? WB

Quote Originally Posted by water bug View Post
    That helps. I will fire form, once I get the shells down to fitting in the chamber. I am starting with .348 shells that have been fire formed out to straight . The case mouth is about . 540" OD. After annealing should I size down in stages? How much each stage? WB
    That seems like a lot to move in one pass.....for fear of crumpling the brass. However....I'll let someone else chime in with more experience. Can you not find virgin .348....or at least some that hasn't been converted?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    rimed cases are head spaced on the rim, EXP. 30/30-30/40 KRAG -.303 -348- 56/56- 33 WIN. 8 m/m LEBEL ETC. I use both 348 and 8 m/m LEBEL for mine.

Boolit Man
    Guys, I am working on getting .348 un modified cases, but I have some very nice .348 cases that have been formed straight. When I tried to reduce the neck , on one I annealed, I got a rumpled case. I am thinking I need to reduce the necks in stages. What advice as to how much to reduce each step? .015" dia. ? or ?? Remember they are .540 dia and are going to .475" OD. Any advice appreciated. WB

Boolit Master

been out for a bit, ah, why use 348 blown out straight? that makes for extra work. that might work for something else.

Good stuff. Hope to have my Werndl shooting soon. The internet is awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12