Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Load development help for .41 Magnum

Boolit Bub

Load development help for .41 Magnum

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Arsenal 225 pc mold. I have never loaded for the .41 Magnum and I am looking for advice / load data. I can't seem to find data for this bullet. I am thinking about starting with 20 grains of h4227 (this being the max load for a 245 grain lswc as obtained from hogdon). Thoughts? Is anyone out there using this bullet? Powders on hand are unique, hs-6, 4227, and lil gun.

Boolit Man
    This is a good read with a lot of information on the 41 mag.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
    This is a good read with a lot of information on the 41 mag.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center
    Thanks Joe. I had already reviewed most of the sticky, and as best I could tell I couldn't find anything about this bullet. Alot, of conversation about the .41 special, and that was pretty cool. Those articles were great reads. I didn't explore the other forums, as I am not a member. It is interesting how little is out there about the .41 Magnum so that was great to have in one place!

Mainly, I guess I am looking for a bit of commentary about my logic in starting with load data from a heavier bullet to remain is the safe zone for a lighter one, and any personal experience with this specific mold. Do you cast / load for the .41, with bullets in the 220 / 230 range?
    Last edited by Yellowseven; 01-01-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Boolit Master

I have a .41 magnum S&W Model 57-2 and I have worked up loads for both cast and jacketed. I always start with the listed starting load in a manual and work up slowly. Starting with a maximum load, even when the bullet you are loading is a lighter weight, is really not a good idea. I have used 2400, H110, Unique and W296 but never 4227. You didn't state what firearm you are loading for but that can make a difference also. I have owned both S&W and Ruger .41 magnums and they will handle the same load a little different. My advice would be to start with the starting load for the 245 grain bullet and gradually work up to get the accuracy you want, paying attention to signs of pressure. Bearing surface on bullets are not the same depending on the weight and shape, so caution is the best route here. my experience and advice anyway, jame

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the insight. It has been a while since I started a new load, guess that means I don't buy enough guns lol. These will be fired out of s&w model 57. I think I am going to run out and check some other manuals. For most of my reloading I use the online hogdon data and the cbh #4. I can't believe the cbg only has 3 bullets. Anyone there know which manuals have more .41 Magnum data than the others?

Boolit Man
    I agree with TNsailorman. Start at the starting load of a 220 grain cast boolit and work up. I have used Red Dot, Unique & 2400 in my model 57 with an Accurate clone of Lyman #410459. 8.1 grains of Unique has been a favorite at this point. This is the starting load in Lyman 3rd Cast Bullet Handbook with this 220 grain design. I have no experience with H4227. A call to Hodgdon may help.

Boolit Man
    A link to a pdf of Lyman 3rd Cast Bullet Handbook.
    http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...-%20Reduce.pdf

Boolit Master

Joe, Unique is a very good powder for cast bullets loads. I run 8.0 grains of it myself in my Model 57 and it does yeomen work in the .357mag. and .45 LC also. It is just one of those really good all around powders for the handgun. Yellowseven, log onto the Hogdgon reloading site and you should find plenty of loads for you .41 magnum. james

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the link, I found it interesting they used different bullets than the cbh#4, and even had one more! The hogdon website only has data for cast bullets in 245 class, or 220 for jhp. I wish alliant put more cast data on the website... I know if we all could be king of the Forest....

Boolit Master
    I use 225 gr .410459 and a Saeco 230 gr K. Your suggestion of the 20 gr load with 4227 is like some I have used over the years. Start low and work up and you will be good. While there are only about 6 grains between the these two molds, the 410459 will take a heavier charge than the Saeco will. Hogdon's data site will give you Hs6 loads or Bing Hs6 in the ..41 mag

Had an incredibly accurate 410610 with 296 load for my Redhawk that ran pressures way too high in a S&W. You just never know and every piece is a piece unto itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41RIVET WITH 2400 2012-06-15.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	233169

2400 has good properties for heavies in .41's.

I went up to 10.2 gr of Unique in my S&W 57-2 with a 240 gr HP. However, the accuracy was actually found at 9.9 gr Unique and an OAL of 1.690".

Boolit Master

I have always used more Unique in the .41 than any other powder. I think that is because I view the .41 as a medium bore ctg. It will go from 700 to 1100fps easily.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek