MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Soft Lead Postell?

Boolit Master

Soft Lead Postell?

From what I have been able to glean from other posts, most folks recommend that bullet alloy should be around 20:1 or 30:1 for BPCR.. I know that the tin is supposed to help fill out the bullet, but are there are any other things that it does that makes it a worthwhile venture?... I'm guessing that the old timers in the days of the buffalo most likely shot what they had and that was most likely soft lead... also paper patch shooters seem to have no problems with soft lead.. what are your thoughts?

I want to try the Lyman Postell in my nephew's Shiloh Sharp's 45-70 and I only have soft lead or wheel weight on hand...

Thanks in advance for your kind help

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot 20-1 in all my BPCR rifles, experimented with 15-1 and 30-1 some. The tin helps a little with nose slump. It does improve mould fill out and weight consistency. Bullets from my lyman 535 postell shoot very well cast from 20-1. and carry enough lube for a 34" barrel. A few recovered 530 grn PP bullets ( recovered from sand back stop) from 20-1 expanded to just shy of 1" dia and only .140 or so if bases still intact. After cleaned of dirt ( soap and water with a tooth brush) they still weighed 520 grns, I believe the tin also helps the lead to hold together better.

Some are using a small amount of antimony in the mix to slightly toughen the bullet to reduce any nose slump that may occur. I haven't tried this but may in the future.

You might try to mix to a bhn of 8-9 with the soft lead wheel weights. This would be about the same as 20-1. Should work out to start and go from there.

I shoot as cast ( pan lube) and lube with spg or emmerts improved. Both these lubes work very good with BP and keep fouling soft.

My mould has been modified to a nose cast and lapped out to drop at .460 with 20-1.

Mix the lead and WW 50/50 and your good to go.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    9 lb of wheelwright with 1 lb of lead works. Not as good as 20-1 or 16-1.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.