Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: RCBS Piggyback stand

RCBS Piggyback stand

Happy New Year!
    I've come across my second RCBS Piggyback. My first one is pretty much permanently fixed upon an old Rock Chucker. With this new one, once you add a powder measure to this unit, it's pretty big and takes up a lot of bench room. I've had a look at the stand that RCBS sells, but from the picks of the stand, how does the Piggyback sit on it. It would appear as the shaft of the ram sits in the hole in the top of the stand and the unit balances itself on top of the stand? Does anyone use one of these stands? Is the Piggyback attached to the stand in a way that secures it? Does anyone have a pic they can post of theirs sitting on a stand? Thanks for the help!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    There are RCBS Piggyback systems 1, 2, 3 & 4 IIRC?

Boolit Master
    Are you asking about a stand for storage or something to use the piggyback on to load?
    I have 3 piggybacks, one mounted on a RC, one mounted on an Ammomaster, and one in need of a press to mount it on.

You(and me) will need a press with a removable 1 1/4x12 bushing to mount that PB on for loading, a Reloader Special-5 Press would work but it doesn't have to be an RCBS.

Edit: as an FYI, I have case activated Lee powder measures (Auto Disc/Auto Drum) on my PBs, way simpler operation than the rcbs measure and all it's claptrap linkage.
    On 2 risers here, to clear the bullet feeding die.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MirrorS.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	233165
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-01-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks for the replies so far. I obviously didn't explain my question properly. I'm looking for a bench top storage solution for this 2nd Piggyback. I don't have a dedicated press for it at this time and will be switching it back and forth with my other Piggyback on the Rock Chucker. I'm interested in one of the stands that RCBS sells for the Piggybacks/ Uniflow powder measure, but I'm mystified at how the Piggyback attaches to the RCBS stand. The mounting hole in the stand appears to be threaded. I can see this working well for the Uniflow, but I'm assuming the ram on the Piggyback fits in the same hole for storage? I can see a problem as the diameter of the Piggyback ram is larger than the diameter of the Uniflow threads. I was just wondering what folks do with their Piggybacks when not mounted on a press. Hope that clears up any confusion.

Boolit Buddy

I used a hole saw a cut a hole in one of my shelves then made a small Hole for locating peg and set my PB on the shelf
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I obviously didn't explain my question properly. I'm looking for a bench top storage solution for this 2nd Piggyback. I don't have a dedicated press for it at this time and will be switching it back and forth with my other Piggyback on the Rock Chucker. I'm interested in one of the stands that RCBS sells for the Piggybacks/ Uniflow powder measure, but I'm mystified at how the Piggyback attaches to the RCBS stand. The mounting hole in the stand appears to be threaded. I can see this working well for the Uniflow, but I'm assuming the ram on the Piggyback fits in the same hole for storage? I can see a problem as the diameter of the Piggyback ram is larger than the diameter of the Uniflow threads. I was just wondering what folks do with their Piggybacks when not mounted on a press. Hope that clears up any confusion.
    I can't speak to any dimension of the PiggyBack. However I can confirm that current production RCBS powder measure stands are not threaded. I can get a rough interior diameter measurement if that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I can't speak to any dimension of the PiggyBack. However I can confirm that current production RCBS powder measure stands are not threaded. I can get a rough interior diameter measurement if that would help.
    Thank you, that would be helpful. Do you know the product# of the stand. Thanks very much.

Boolit Master

Thank you, that would be helpful. Do you know the product# of the stand. Thanks very much.
    Ok, I'll reply when I get home from the office tonight.

Boolit Master
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/12896

Hole size would be at the least 7/8" for a powder measure to fit.
    Something I'd make out of scrap wood though.

Boolit Master

I've drilled out my two powder stands (RCBS) so I can slip the measure in and out easily. I use a lock ring on each side. Drilled them 7/8ths, and my Piggyback would slip right into that hole.

Is that what you're asking for?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

My crude measurement using dial calipers shows an inside diameter of 0.905". Enough clearance for 7/8 threaded measure plus a little extra.

The part number is below on the Midway site.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...-measure-stand

Boolit Master

I have a Piggyback-2. It sits in an old RCBS powder measure stand, that is mounted to the bench about 8" behind my old RockChucker.

The P-B just sits in the stand without any type of fastening, just gravity holding it balanced in the smooth hole in the PM stand. The "ram" is long enough and the PM "head" thick/deep enough that it just sits there.

Worked this way for 20+ years. I replaced the Rube Goldberg powder drop system with the one from my HORNADY Progressive, when HORNADY upgraded their powder drop system.
    RCBS has copied the HORNADY system. They BOTH use the same RCBS Primer pickup tubes.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've ordered the RCBS advanced PM stand.