Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to WC844/WC846 from TAC

Boolit Bub

Switching to WC844/WC846 from TAC

Someone posted the other day a site selling surplus powder. I'm getting ready to place a order but was wondering if it's worth getting both WC844 and WC846. Normally for my bulk ammo I use Ramshot TAC in both my AR-10 308/762 and AR-15 223/556. For precision and hunting loads I use H4895. I plan to stick with H4895 for my better quality ammo.

I was going to order 16 lbs of each but before I did I wondered is it worth getting two powders when I've only been using one? TAC seems a little slower then H335 data and a little faster then BL-C2 data. Also H335 data seems to use around 1 to 3 grains less then BL-C2 data in th books I have, meaning it could be stretched further for cheap plinking ammo over several hundred or thousand rounds.

For the price of both surplus powders I can't refuse buying either powder because it is $275 cheaper for 32 lbs over Ramshot TAC.

Any thoughts on this and what some use would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdonreloading.com has data for both powders in both of those calibers. The 844 I have is slightly faster than 335. Two grains less produces flat primers in my AR.

If you're talking about St Auctions, you can't combine a shipment/hazmat, so multiple orders doesn't change anything for you.

I'd order whichever one happens to be going for less. If it doesn't work well with one of the calibers, then get the other as well. You can't have too much powder unless there's a fire or you're breaking the law.

I managed to get mine for $10/lb but price has been climbing over the past bit. I'm hoping that's just due to people spending their Christmas money and not a panic building up over the loss of the house.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    No I was talking about American Reloading. They sell 16 lbs for $245 and have a sale right now 15%off rifle powders and another $10 off for a order over $250. So for 32 lbs of powder that is $275 bucks cheaper than TAC. I can't pass that up. Maybe I should just order both and play with both. Unfortunately I have to order off the internet and eat the shipping and hazmat from most places because no one around me sells bulk powder and I refuse to pay $30 or more a pound from Cabela's which is 15 minutes from me.

My basic question was using one powder for both or just get both. I still have 10 lbs of TAC I'll just use that for more of my better loads and the surplus powder can just be plinking ammo.

Boolit Master
    A lot of 844 / 846 has been selling on Gunbroker.

They are charging $46 for shipping + hazmat per 16 lb order with no savings for multiple orders.

Before this stuff came on the market, I got 16# of 844 from Bartlett (gibrass.com) at a delivered price of $246.

Therefore, any Gunbroker bid of less than $200 is better than the "mailorder cost" from one of the better surplus suppliers if you just want one order of 16#. I bet you can beat this by better than $60.

The 844 I bought seems to be running right at H335 velocity vs. charge. My "book max" loads show no signs of high pressure.

Some newer powders are supposed to be more "temperature stable". Other than this feature, I really do not think you are loosing anything using these two. Literal tons of this stuff has been used to make ammo that is "just as good" as it would have been with any other powder.
    Last edited by P Flados; 12-31-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Boolit Master

WC844 is Mil Spec powder for 5.56
    WC846 is Mil Spec powder for 7.62

I have had success in both powders used in both calibers. Surplus powder can be faster or slower depending on the Lot Number. Start lower charges and Work up loads for each in the caliber of your choice. Of course; weight of boolit/bullet used will change load data. If I found either at a good price; I would buy more.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    I have no problem starting low and working my way up. That's usually how I do all of my loads. I guess it wouldn't be a waste to buy 16 pounds of each and try it for both calibers.

I also never checked gunbroker. I see there is some ending later this evening. I'll watch it and see what it goes for before I order. Most times I think people get carried away on the auction sites just to "win" whether it's a deal or not is the question.

Boolit Bub
    I guess I'm more curious to see how it is compared to TAC. I've seen some people said it's more dirty than TAC. Also that TAC has the copper fouling additives too.

Boolit Buddy
    Never used tac. The lot of 844 I have burns cleaner than h335. Unfortunately, I can't tell you if that's typical or not. Non-canister powders vary in burn rate.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I've never used H335 or BL-C2. I'm a little worried about being temperature sensitive but TAC is too from what I've read. I don't load to the max side though either. I'm more worried about finding a load that is decently accurate and will cycle reliably. I use H4895 which is highly accurate out of both my AR-15 and AR-10. All three will shoot sub moa at 100 yards using even half decent bullets.

Boolit Master
    The guys selling at Gunbroker have been putting up items on a daily basis.

At first there were some really good deals. Now, it looks like some regulars go in on a daily basis and make sure they get it if is selling cheap enough. I was hoping they would get all stocked up & let the rest of us get an occasional really good deal.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah I just watched a few end for almost the same price as American Reloading has it for on sale.

My lot of WC846 leaves a lot of hard crud in the grooves that general cleaning will not remove. I have to get out a stiff brush and go at it a bunch to remove.. This crud affects accuracy within a couple hundred rounds in .223Rem in an otherwise nice, smooth commercial bolt gun. It's also faster than BLC2. A BLC2 starting load of 846 will blow primers. I'd look at 844 as an alternative if you're after bulk surplus.

Boolit Bub
    Hmmmm. Where did you get it from? That's a little concerning. My AR-10 is a stainless steel barrel. I know I've read many places that both 844 and 846 can be hotter or cooler then 335 and BL-C2.

Boolit Buddy
    i use 846 in 308 and 5.56. works well in both. played some with it in 30-06, 7-08, and 30-30. i like it better than 844. 846 started out in 7.62 and 5.56. but later on they went with 844 for the 5.56, something to do with a build up of carbon or something in the m16. but i have not had that problem. my lot of 846 is just a little slower from the blc-2 data. so it has worked well for me. test what ever powder you get to see what your burn rate is.

Boolit Bub
    I did see something about they stopped using it because of higher calcium content I think it was. Supposedly they fixed it though after they stopped using it.

I don't remember where it was purchased. It has been more than a decade since; when it was about $50-$60 per 8 lbs IIRC. Other than the cleaning bit, it was a great powder. It's nearly all burned up.

Some propellant lots clogged the gas tube of M16 rifles until concentrations of calcium carbonate stabilizers were reduced in 1970 as reformulated WC844 for the 5.56mm NATO cartridge.
    Reference:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_propellant
    https://web.archive.org/web/20130722...m/556prop.html
    Last edited by McFred; 01-02-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I ended up order a little of each before diving in head first just to see if I even like it. I really do like TAC just trying to find a cheaper alternative to being able to shoot more.

In Remembrance

I think you will be happy with both as I had good luck with it, but mine was about 15 years ago and not sure if I have any of that left.
    I have ran 25 grains of 846 in my 5.56 AR-15 and have also had good results with 26.3 grains of 844 in the same ar-15 rifle.

Boolit Bub
    I order 8 pounds of each. Waiting for it to be delivered and hopefully it isn't to cold to go try it out in a ladder test.

Banned

tac is pretty much the same as 846 and exterminator is or is close to the kissing cousin of 844. My guess is like accurate arms did back in the day ramshot bought a large amount of these powders and repackages them.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-22-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast