WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Quality bit set for power driver

Boolit Master

Quality bit set for power driver

Who makes a quality set of bits to use on a battery operated power driver? You know the ones, screwdrivers, torx, etc. Need to make sure they are quality steel so they don't round off after using once or twice.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Bub
    I have used the Bosch and Milwaukee brands, with good results. For torx bits, the best I have ever used are GRK brand. I bought them at a local lumber yard, but you should be able to find them online. I used to be a remodeling contractor, so I used a lot of these things.

Boolit Master
    Second on the Milwaukee brand.

Boolit Master
    Milwaukee it is. HD has a 140 piece set for about $30. Will pick one up next time I shop there.
    Thanks
    East Tennessee

Banned
    The sets are nice to have , but if I am doing something that will take a lot of screws I just buy a few of the mediocre single bits for the job at hand and toss them as they get questionable .
    That way I have the nice bits in the set to use for the everyday stuff that pops up

Moderator Emeritus

Years ago, when I was a manager, supervising a industrial control panel assembly crew, we'd order straight from APEX. We could specify hardness (level of heat treat). Too hard and a Philips bit will break, too soft they will wear prematurely ...you need the "Goldie-Locks" level of hardness, LOL.

http://www.apex-tools.com/

PS, I still have a few of those bits in my tool kit, and look like new after much use ...and I left that job in 2003.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

If you use Square drive screws (Robertson)
    Mcfeelys sell some awesome square drive bits...get the two part bits (with the pressed in hardened tip).
    https://www.mcfeelys.com/screw-faste...are-drive.html
    Hardened inner core and tip for strong engagement
    Tempered outer core for flexibility for shear strength

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

+1 for Milwaukee. Itxs all I buy now.

Boolit Grand Master

I've gotten good service from Apex, DeWalt and Milwaukee. I've found the bits sold over the counter in the cookie jars to mostly be soft and have a short life. If you use tools daily the more expensive brands will serve you better.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a very comprehensive set off the Mac tool truck, lifetime guarantee. More than the other solutuions but very nice bits that I like a whole lot.

Boolit Master

I worked on aerobatic and antique aircraft in another time. We used nothing but Apex. Not only is the hardness/toughness correct but the fit to the screw head is the best in the business.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Went to Home Depot and bought Dewalt 13 pc cobalt set for 29$. Went to use the 3/16 bit and it bent at a 45 degree angle. Went back and traded for new set. Same thing happened. Asked for my money back.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Apex bits were all we used at work.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Bub
    Believe it or not, I've had great luck with a set of Ryobi impact rated bits. They are about half the price of Milwaukee and haven't let me down.

Now-a-days, almost all made in China, even the more expensive premium brands.

Wiha Tools

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TCoggins View Post
    I have used the Bosch and Milwaukee brands, with good results. For torx bits, the best I have ever used are GRK brand. I bought them at a local lumber yard, but you should be able to find them online. I used to be a remodeling contractor, so I used a lot of these things.
    These with the longer torque shaft works the best for me

Quote Originally Posted by red67 View Post
    Believe it or not, I've had great luck with a set of Ryobi impact rated bits. They are about half the price of Milwaukee and haven't let me down.

Now-a-days, almost all made in China, even the more expensive premium brands.
    Our supply guy got all the crews ryobi bit sets and everyone hates them I have broken almost all mine. It is against the rules, but any one who gives a **** brings their own bit sets, most are Milwaukee...

Banned
    I've had good luck with the MAKITA "Impact Gold" Driver Bit Set - 11 Pieces B-36164

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000776012.html