Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepping a Barrel for Cast

Banned

For my muzzle loader, I use a small piece of saran wrap rubber banded around the muzzle in such a way that it doesn't interfere with the front sight. No worries about it being a muzzle obstruction and doesn't seem to affect anything upon firing.

Boolit Bub
    IN shooting big bore airguns, I have found that a typical barrel will lead fairly quickly. I often will fire lap the barrel with the Wheeler kit, then hand polish the bore with flitz.

In doing so, I not only see a marked improvement in scores, but can shoot a couple hundred cast before a single patch is needed.

KnifeMaker

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I really don't see the issue. Copper Bullet, Copper Gas check..I have never worried about changing up and have never had any problems. If you read enough gun rags they will tell you to shoot jacketed to clean out lead. I truly believe it is blown out of proportion. Toss that out the window tho, if you have a leading issue.

Happy New Year All
    I’ve always wondered too about copper gas checks and supposedly needing to have all the copper out of the bore.

Boolit Master
    I have access to a Hawkeye borescope. Regularly, check the bore of my CZ Scorpion chambered in 9mm, rather than cleaning. Started off shooting with a couple hundred FMJ factory loads. Switched over to cast, PB and GC. Went to plated bullets and back to cast. Always checking the bore, before and after switching.

After thousands of rounds, I discovered that PB bullets, at carbine velocities, produce very minor leading. Disappears with GC designs, even with PB aluminum checks. Plated bullets (Berry's thick plate) leave no copper fouling. Much ado about nothing.

Now, I only clean the action, leaving the barrel alone. Pretty much the same, with my other rifles that shoot cast. If it ain't broke, not looking for a fix.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    If caught out in a heavy down pour I think water could migrate past the closed bolt, enter the chamber and run down the bore. Having the muzzle sealed by tape or condom might trap a lot of water in the bore. It would need to be a heavy down pour.

Also maybe firing some handloadsmade with with one of the CFE propellants Hodgdon’s sells. CFE = Copper Fouling Eraser
    It may assist in removing old embedded copper along will the appropriate bore solvents.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 01-07-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I have been casting since the 60s. Mostly for handguns.
    I have cast 10s of thousands of handgun boolits and some for rifles.
    I know the "experts" say to clean all of the copper fouling from the bore. I will be doing that as it seems to make sense.
    I want to develop some cast loads in my rifles. The 218 Bee for now.
    They say to shoot a number of cast loads to condition the bore before shooting groups.
    Is this necessary? If so, how. many shots?
    Is there a way to tell if the bore is conditioned to shoot groups?
    Thanks, dale
    I imagine the answer may vary due to the type of lube, and probably the barrel itself too. Has the barrel had many rounds (any type) through it? Is it brand new or near new?

I'd treat a clean barrel with a clean patch impregnated with your lube. Then, I'd shoot a dozen rounds, in a fairly quick procession to heat up the barrel. Then I'd run a dry patch through the barrel and start shooting groups, the groups will tell you if you are there. I'd bet it only takes 2 or 3 rounds, but suggested a dozen just to be sure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Isnt Harris the fellow who advocates NOT scrubbing out a barrel after using lead, but to simply patch it "clean" after shooting to allow the lead to stay in the pitsin the bores of grubby barrels?

Boolit Master

Seems like it was on "The Gun Guys" on Outdoor Channel that demonstrated putting tape over a muzzle. They used duct tape IIRC and it did not affect the POI or act as a barrel obstruction.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Most of my cast has been with revolvers, and they have all been guns that I bought used. Than meant I had no control over their former lives.

That said I have had my best results by cleaning them fairly well upon switching them over to lead.

My regime is to clean with a good solvent and JB Bore paste and then finishing with Corrosion X.

When the prospective gun quits leading, the bore paste gets a holiday.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I have been using the tape over the muzzle for over 40 years. Water is not the only thing that can get down your barrel. Many years ago, after a day in the bush, we returned to the cabin and began to wipe down our rifles. My hunting partner ran a cleaning rod with patch from the breech end and had to force out a 7 inch twig that had found its way into his bore. I have used the tape ever since.
    R.D.M.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12