MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: What powders work with the 60% of fmj rule?

Boolit Buddy

What powders work with the 60% of fmj rule?

I am getting ready to reload for 9.3x62 and there is not so much reloading data out there. What powders work with the 60% rule?
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!

Boolit Master
    I believe the "rule" you refer to is published by and for H4895, IMR4895 should be good as well. I have had good luck with Reloader 7 but I just work the load up/down as needed. I have Not used it in a case larger than the 308 family. I'm just take the published starting load for a similar at jacketed and go from there as a hunting load. I always chose a mid range powder, 4895,3031, with RL7 and 4198 on the faster end. There should be some info on the sight, that's a good cast round!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In the .375 H&H with cast I have used the 60% rule also with IMR4064, RL15 and Varget, but doing so requires using a Dacron filler to take up some of the excess free airspace. This should be tucked loosely into the case neck, its final position being determined by the seated bullet. The filler absolutely MUST NOT be pushed down against the powder, to avoid ringing the chamber. The filler should be completely consumed upon firing. If you see more than a wisp of "fluff" from the muzzle, you are using too much. About 1 grain is about right in the .30-'06 and in the .375 more than two is neither necessary nor recommended. I DO recommend using a "magnum" primer, such as the Federal 215.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    H4895 is the only powder I've seen and there has to be load data for a basis of the calculation

Boolit Grand Master

Most all powders from the slow pistol powders up through the medium burners and slower burners that give less than 80% load density will work well with the Dacron filler as Outpost75 describes. The "60% rule" does not apply when a filler is used. You may find the extruded powders of medium and slower burn rates to work better at the lower pressure ranges. Also the faster burning powders in the range mentioned will work better for lighter weight for caliber cast bullets.

What powders do you have in mind for what weight cast bullet in your 9.3x62? I do believe with medium to heavy cast bullets you will find one of the 4895s with the Dacron filler to work quite well. I use a surplus IMR4895 (a very slow burning lot with a rate close to 4064) in my 375 H&H with a Dacron filler under a 275 gr cast 375449 with excellent accuracy at 2150 - 2200 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla