Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 351 WSL from 357 max

You made them? What material?

Boolit Master
    There I go, misspeaking again. I'm the new Al Gore. I meant to say that I used that photo to determine what size to cut the buffers. In the 401, one was not enough to fit in that metal pocket, and two were too big, so I cut two to fit in the pocket with the size based on that photo. I'll have to check my guns but they all don't have that metal pocket/cup - I can't remember the setup on the others.
    Numrich sells the buffers.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/252300

Any tips for preventing cracks in the firearms?

Boolit Master

P Flados
    the .35 and .351 SL do indeed have a small rim. The base of both rounds are nearly identical to the .38 Super. My machinist buddy made me a fixture for a drill press that makes very nice brass for the .35 SL from Military 38 spl. brass. It cuts a nearly identical factory extractor grove. Most guns function ok without the extractor grove though. I'll try post some pictures of the fixture Friday.

Boolit Master
    I think the forearms crack from the buffers and springs being too worn out. Plus, they're old. I use West Systems two part epoxy and filler to repair them from the underside. West Systems Epoxy is expensive - I think any two part epoxy and filler should work.

My .32 WSL came with about 80 factory rounds. I've shot a few but I also make the brass from 32-20 brass.
    Accurate Molds makes a few molds for the .351. I got the 35-175A without the gas check.
    Last edited by Battis; 01-03-2019 at 12:36 AM.

All very useful information. I appreciate the experience you are generously sharing.

I may not need the extra groove, but looking at the case dimensions, I found it's easy to get the groove to specs on the lathe. RCBS 19 or Lee 19 shell holders are recommended but will not work without the groove. On second thought, I can probably modify the shell holder...
    Last edited by DrDucati; 01-03-2019 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Spell correct

Boolit Bub
    Good thread - My 1907 won't extract .223 brass, I have a bunch made from .357 Max and have a bunch more I'm about to turn down. I haven't tried .357 Mag or .38 special but truly no reason it wouldn't work and I've read many times that it works. Sit the bullet out a little further as needed, these rifles obviously need a lot of punch to operate.

FWIW I turn down a lot of rims for different caliber conversions and I've had no problems just making a mandrel that fits inside the case (to keep it from crushing) and just go at it. I haven't found a need to support the case head.

There's a fellow on here who is a wizard with these rifles and gave me a hand getting mine going (and gave me my first converted .357 max brass) - I can't remember his handle on this site but he might chime in.

Also worth noting that .351 brass is available, and a lot more so on your side of the border. I've seen it at Grafs, Midway and I believe Buffalo Arms. I've got a couple hundred here different brands. The Bertram brass is super expensive and I find its too soft, I'd avoid it myself.

NCBB, some major brass companies have gone out of business over the past several years and what were often sold on sites like Grafs were leftover stock. Bertram may exist but if so, no one carries them that I find. Jameson became Captech Intl which went out of business. I haven't found a distributor for Quality Cartridge co; they list Grafs, but then denied to me that they work with them...odd. Possibly Rocky Mountain Ctg co, though they are I believe turned brass from solid stock. Not offered by Huntington Die Specialties, at least not listed on website, haven't called. A company I purchased from is called Load-X out in California. They list 351 WSL ammo as currently in stock. They do not sell just brass, but the ammo is properly head stamped. I lucked into some 25-20 brass they happened to have an over stock that they listed on GunBroker. Based upon that one purchase and email communication the service was very good.

I am still experimenting with turning my 351 brass from 357 max. I have the rims turned down. Planning to turn the extractor groove.. just because I'm a little ambitious about making them "correct", not even sure why, just a personality quirk

Buffalo Arms is listing 351 wsl brass formed from "another case" (not stated) for 60 cents each with 100 quantity buy. That's pretty reasonable.

Boolit Master
    I bought some loaded .351 rounds online and for the heck of it I pulled a few bullets and measured the powder charge. It varied from 17 grs to 21 grs. Not good. Never again would I buy reloads for this rifle.
    "Another case" is most likely .357 max brass - then, again, you're dealing with the case mouth that is too large for the .352" bullet. I also found that the case mouths of the longer .357 max brass took a beating while the shorter .357 mag brass does not.
    38/357 dies, 357 mag brass with reduced rim diameter, no extractor groove, .223 die for neck sizing (some use a 9mm die for neck sizing - I haven't tried it yet but it makes sense), .352" bullet, 17 grs IMR4227 (or whatever works for your gun), and bingo. 17 grs is the minimum charge that will work the action in both of my .351s. I could go higher but why...
    I would definitely install a new recoil spring and new buffer(s).

FWIW, there was an ebay seller a few years ago selling Lee "custom made" .351 dies for about $60. I called Lee and they had no knowledge of those dies but they said it might have been a special limited order. Anyways, I bought the dies and tried them on the 357 mag brass (and some 357 max brass that I had left over from the reloads I bought online) but the dies would not put the proper neck grip in those cases - they worked only as well as the 357 dies. I returned the dies. In a perfect world, there would be some exact, authentic .351 brass available, but...
    Last edited by Battis; 01-05-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDucati View Post
    NCBB, some major brass companies have gone out of business over the past several years and what were often sold on sites like Grafs were leftover stock. Bertram may exist but if so, no one carries them that I find. Jameson became Captech Intl which went out of business. I haven't found a distributor for Quality Cartridge co; they list Grafs, but then denied to me that they work with them...odd. Possibly Rocky Mountain Ctg co, though they are I believe turned brass from solid stock. Not offered by Huntington Die Specialties, at least not listed on website, haven't called. A company I purchased from is called Load-X out in California. They list 351 WSL ammo as currently in stock. They do not sell just brass, but the ammo is properly head stamped. I lucked into some 25-20 brass they happened to have an over stock that they listed on GunBroker. Based upon that one purchase and email communication the service was very good.

I am still experimenting with turning my 351 brass from 357 max. I have the rims turned down. Planning to turn the extractor groove.. just because I'm a little ambitious about making them "correct", not even sure why, just a personality quirk
    Ah, that's a shame. Good to know... but at least we know how to "make do" without the factory brass

Boolit Master

For the .35 SL I use 9mm carbide dies. Works fine in my gun. I have not tried it with the .351. I had plenty of factory ammo when I collected .351s. Brass for 60 cents? I think I would just buy them.
    Best bet for boolits would be to find a classic Lyman mold or get a custom. A little too much sizing but. I've sized a 195 Ranch Dog boolit to .354 and worked up a Alliant 2400 powder load just until cycling was 100 % then quit. Safe in my gun and just as accurate as the old factory loads I had.
    I think Hawk is still making J bullets in .351 cal.

Contrary to what at least one shell holder chart says, I can confirm that Lee #19 does not fit the 351 but RCBS #19 fits like a glove.

Unexpectedly, found a source for correctly headstamped 401 loads: Precision Cartridge Inc, Hobart, IN. The good: they list about a 100 PDs they source ammo for. Price is good. The Bad: minimum order 1000 rnds. Not all offerings listed online. The ugly: not really any ugly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDucati View Post

I have purchased Quality Cartridge products from Graf's as well as Selway Armory. Also, Bertram is being imported by a company in Idaho. You can order anything from them you would like - 200 piece minimum order though (and the "soft brass" statement is all too true, unfortunately). I had Rocky Mountain Cartridge make me some properly headstamped 236 lee navy brass a while back. It looked fantastic but only lasted 2 reloading cycles and case heads began to fail, which I understand is not unusual in turned brass cases.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know if the following info will help out or not but Winchester just released info on a new cartridge at the Shot Show. It is called the 350 Legend, a little longer than the 357 Max and rimless. There are lots of YouTube videos on the presentation at the SS but no field use other than ads from Winchester. Don't know if or when it will hit the open market.
    CMMG worked with Winchester on the development and has ARs in the works for it. Winchester is offering the chambering in a bolt gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Don't know if the following info will help out or not but Winchester just released info on a new cartridge at the Shot Show. It is called the 350 Legend, a little longer than the 357 Max and rimless. There are lots of YouTube videos on the presentation at the SS but no field use other than ads from Winchester. Don't know if or when it will hit the open market.
    CMMG worked with Winchester on the development and has ARs in the works for it. Winchester is offering the chambering in a bolt gun.
    Here's something kind of interesting. I came across a mosin nagant carbine chambered in 351 wsl on a bargain table a few years ago. It's definitely not a wall hanger, but it's been fun to play with. I have loaded some of the upper end loads ( and beyond) with this one. The results have been:
    180gr jacketed 2521fps
    150gr (swaged) 2630fps
    This firearm is not a tack driver, but will kill ground squirrels at 150 yards with authority.
    What I find interesting is that Winchester decided to reinvent its own wheel......a century and a decade later.

Boolit Master

Winchester has just redid the old .351 S.L. as the .350 Legend a straight walled .223 case!

I load the 351 for my grandfathers ,1916 made, model 1907 i have a small bag of brass but also use trimmed .223 brass just fine . I have a set of RCBS 351 dies but find that .357 mag reloading dies work as well . A couple points the bullets are only seated .2" and it is best to use a universal case mouth flaring tool to get bullets started in case and the LEE Factory Crimp die for 357 mag will crimp into bullet where you need . For bullets i use .357 bullets that are size down to .351 in a push though sizing die. I have gotten bullets as light as 110 grains to cycle the action in my gun for deer i use the (RESIZED) Sierra 170 gr JHC while it is accurate (1" 50 yard groups) it is a bit destructive on the deer meat!
    My gun functions fine with rimless 223 cases trimmed to size i trimmed some short and they still work well. My though is they are held in place by the extractor. The average working pressure of the model 1907 according to Winchester is 48,200 C.U.P. well over 357 magnum pressures add to that a larger capacity and loading data for 357 mag should be plenty safe . I normally get good cycling with maximum 357 Mag. load data with slow powders some of the faster powders would not function at all even when they should have given same velocity and recoil pulse.
    I am sure every one here knows the model 1907 & 1910 both fire from a open breech only the bolt weight holds the cartridge in the gun at firing it is one of the reasons the gun is heavy.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Winchester has just redid the old .351 S.L. as the .350 Legend a straight walled .223 case!

I load the 351 for my grandfathers ,1916 made, model 1907 i have a small bag of brass but also use trimmed .223 brass just fine . I have a set of RCBS 351 dies but find that .357 mag reloading dies work as well . A couple points the bullets are only seated .2" and it is best to use a universal case mouth flaring tool to get bullets started in case and the LEE Factory Crimp die for 357 mag will crimp into bullet where you need . For bullets i use .357 bullets that are size down to .351 in a push though sizing die. I have gotten bullets as light as 110 grains to cycle the action in my gun for deer i use the (RESIZED) Sierra 170 gr JHC while it is accurate (1" 50 yard groups) it is a bit destructive on the deer meat!
    My gun functions fine with rimless 223 cases trimmed to size i trimmed some short and they still work well. My though is they are held in place by the extractor. The average working pressure of the model 1907 according to Winchester is 48,200 C.U.P. well over 357 magnum pressures add to that a larger capacity and loading data for 357 mag should be plenty safe . I normally get good cycling with maximum 357 Mag. load data with slow powders some of the faster powders would not function at all even when they should have given same velocity and recoil pulse.
    I am sure every one here knows the model 1907 & 1910 both fire from a open breech only the bolt weight holds the cartridge in the gun at firing it is one of the reasons the gun is heavy.
    Firefly - where did you get your bullet sizer?

Last edited by cwtebay; 03-29-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Firefly - where did you get your bullet swager?

It is a sizer, the company is now out of business the unit takes rings in a 7/8-14 threaded body You can have LEE make one in .351" in the push though sizer they already carry I for get the cast look up Lee reloading online.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12