Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: RIA 1911 9MM at the range

RIA 1911 9MM at the range

Got this last fall on clearance at the local farm store for $420. First time at the range it shot really high at 25 yards. I molded an extension to the front sight out of epoxy putty and filed it by SWAG to look like what I thought a front sight should look like. As I was filing the last bit my extension fell off.

A little 2 part epoxy and it was back on. Black marksalot marker and it was range time. Target is 25 yards Weaver. Load is NOE 136 rnfp .358 over 5.0 of power pistol. Point of aim was 6 o'clock on the bull. A dead on hold would be very close. Still need to polish the feed ramp and shoot it more to break it in.

I have been pleased with RIA 1911's. I am letting you all in on my custom gunsmithing secrets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Are those sights dovetailed?

Replace them with a good set of combat sights?

I'm not sure I'd put too much trust in the epoxy...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Didn't want to spring for new sights until I saw if it would shoot. Honestly a .1" front sight the height of my epoxy would be great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Nice looking pistol
    just thinking out loud but give RIA a call maybe they have a taller sight that they would send you
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    My little local gun shop test my willpower with one of those Rock Island 9s every time I walk in the shop .

Boolit Master
    9mm in the 1911 platform is an easy accurate shooting combination for me. I have Sringfeild and absolutely shoot that gun lights out. Pretty economical to shoot and practice with as well. Easy to carry and conceal. I have a RIA in 10mm the only issue was the rear adjustable sight broke so I replaced with a fixed combat sight. They seem like solid guns.

Vendor Sponsor

I'd be looking at the barrel link. if the barrel isn't going very far into the locking lugs in the slide, a longer link will improve this situation while at the same time elevating the rear of the barrel, bringing POI down lower.

You could also try some factory ammo, lower velocity loads will stay in the barrel longer which elevates POI considerably. The pistol might just be regulated for 115gr FMJ.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I've a RIA 9mm and it's a blast to shoot,I'd like to carry it but being all steel it's too heavy for my tastes. Bought mine thru a private sale as not all RIA pistols are available thru FFLs here.

Boolit Buddy
    I got lucky and picked up RIA TAC Ultra in 10mm plus 200 rounds of 10mm ammo for $400 from a friend. Not a big fan of 1911 but all steel frame with bull barrel definitely help when shooting 10mm. Considering the price I couldnt say no to this deal plus i wanted 10mm so now I have one. Cant say anything bad about it.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad someone mentioned the barrel size . Is the 9mm barrel the same outside diameter as the 45acp in all Rock Islands ?