MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remington 700 sps 243

Boolit Man

remington 700 sps 243

I have a Remington 700 sps in 243. ive just started reloading for it. ive now shot 2 bullets and 4 powders. ive noticed that in every group theres a flyer. at first I thought it was me but theres a flyer in every group then i can get 3 shots to almost touch. im confused at what the flyer could be.

Is the flyer on a clean barrel? I clean with Sweets and solvent, fire a fouling shot. Then shoot a 5 shot group usually around 1/2" with a heavy barreled 220 Swift, 6.5 Mag or 6mm Remington.

Boolit Man
    nope not on a clean barrel. has about 30 shots since cleaning.

Boolit Master
    Suggestion.....Have someone else shoot it and see if that still happens.

Is it the first shot from a cold barrel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    if i shoot 3 5 shot groups in a row. every group will have a flyer

Boolit Master

Sounds suspiciously like the barrel might be making contact somewhere when it starts to heat up. Shoot a 3 shot group and then take a piece of notebook paper and see if it will slide between the barrel and the stock and how far back it goes before it catches. I had a similar problem with the bedding on one rifle years ago and it took about 5 minutes to correct after I found the problem. I didn't come up with the solution myself, it came from an older gentleman at the range. james

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    One quick in-field fix (old timers' fix) that can be done at the range is to unbolt the action from the stock, make a couple shims from a thin cardboard piece like a matchbook cover and then put these in between the action and stock, then re-bolt the action in place - Gives you something like 60-80 mils more of free floating on the action, if that gets RID of your fliers, then you know it was stock contact. You want something "solid" enough that it won't really compress over time and change the barrel to stock distances.

Boolit Master

Watching
    Often Remington 700 stocks have a bulge in the forend almost to the tip.
    I often remove these areas and accuracy is better
    I use a sharpened washer and a pair of vice grip pliers to drag the washer
    and shave off the material
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Man
    i think ive maybe figured out part of the problem. ive been shooting with the barrel on a hard surface instead of having the stock on the surface. im not positive if thats it but my reading says that can change poi

Yes, that could be the problem. Shooting off a bench for groups means good rifle, good ammo & good set-up!
    Attachment 233031
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I never rest a barrel on anything and I never rest the stock on any hard surface. I have been using an old rolled up and taped bath towel as a bench rest for years and it works just fine. Beats paying $100.00 plus for some fancy rest that won't shoot any better. I also have a simply front rest and a 1st generation Bulls Bag that was given to me and they work well also. The Bulls Bag will hold a rifle rock solid. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master

about the worst thing you can do for accuracy is rest the barrel on something.

Boolit Man
    well I have a Caldwell matrix shooting rest. instead of putting the stock on the front support i put the barrel there

Boolit Man
    im pretty new to rifles learning as i go. never shot rifles groing up.

Boolit Master
    The SPS stock has a couple of pads in the fore end that the barrel rests on. Remington put them in there for a reason, just like they leave the “bunp” in the wood stocks. I have about 10 of them and they all shoot moa or better. Your problem is where you are putting that barrel, not the stock. Rest the stock behind the forward sling swivel stud far enough that the stud never makes contact with the rest during recoil from the shot. Then work on consistency in grip and trigger pull. Only after lots of practice can you think about spending money on a new stock. Also, the advice to have someone else shoot the rifle is great advice. In fact, have several people shoot it. Ten shot groups. Then compare groups.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82CECF8D-8338-49B5-B72D-A4A9F797ABE4.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	233138
    Both of these .30-06’s shoot 10 shots into 1” at 100 yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	823D10E6-FF0B-427B-A475-8BD2BA527C46.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	233137
    This one shoots the .30 XCB ten shots into 1” at 100 yds. The barrel is a Krieger 1-17” but the stock is un-modified.

One thing you may consider is a new trigger. The Xmark-pro adjustable trigger that you probably have is an abominable piece of junk. If you have the non-adjustable one your gunsmith can most likely make it usable. Better is the Timney Calvin Elite. Order direct from Timney and have them set it at 2 lbs. https://timneytriggers.com/calvin-el...ton-model-700/
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 01-01-2019 at 12:01 AM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Man
    yes i realize my problem is where i was putting the barrel and not the stock.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If your rifle has the new style stock with molded inserts instead of checkering, that is a really good stock for a factory sporter. I would definitely change your set up before I went to messing with it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

if it still has the stock factory 6lb lawyer trigger id bet (not bashing in any way) theres a good chance its operator error. Arent to many who can consistently shoot sub moa with a 6lb trigger. Most of the time when you have one flyer its your fault not the guns. If it were the guns fault youd see more then one in a group. If it is the guns fault that the two close together are just a haphazard (for lack of better words) then the one outside the two close ones. Maybe its a 2 inch gun that your lucky to see 2 under an inch. Its why 5 shot groups are much more reliable of an indicator. Ive seen many guys that shoot a 3 shot one inch group and claim there gun is moa. Take the same gun out and shoot 5 or 6 5shot groups and average them together and then come tell me your gun is moa. Shoot 5 shots and keep a tablet and pencil with you. Every time you shoot look through your spotting scope and see where the bullet hits. Mark it down and mark down whether you think you did everything right or if MAYBE you might have goofed up a bit. See if there really is a pattern to it. Is it happening more as the barrel heats up. Is it a first round cold barrel flyer ect, are you absolutely sure the crosshairs were where you wanted them when the trigger broke ect. You might even find out those two shots close together were actually the flyers and your true point of aim puts the bullet where the one your calling your flyer is.

Boolit Man
    I figured out my problem I posted i had my barrel on a hard surface. infact today i put 3 shots in 1 hole. i have more testing to do but i think it will go better now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast