WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daughter threatened N Seattle, need CC gun advice.

Boolit Master
    My wife carries a little 5 shot Lady Smith in .38 spcl. She has it loaded with factory wadcutters, she can shoot it pretty well. She can't hold on to a light weight 9mm. The little revolver has a better grip for her and she can actually control it. Bash the revolver and wadcutters if you want but I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to her if she was mad. She can shoot it very well which is the key. She would carry a .22 before a 9mm. Oh, wait. she does. She often keeps a little NA "Bugout" in her purse.

Boolit Master

The right choice is a firearm she can handle and function. The best caliber is the largest she can be proficient with. Many females can not work the slide on many semi-autos. Renting guns at a range will make the choice easier plus improve her handling skills.
    Along the .380 lines, I have selected the Ruger LCP 2. My wife can work the slide. The s&w bodyguard is another good choice. Both these can be had with a laser. Price is around 250 without laser,300 with laser.
    She should familiarize herself with rules of engagement under state law.

LCR357 hammerless double action version - good trigger even on first shot.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Lots of good information here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Boyfriends, lovers and bad husbands don't fear fathers.
    If you get involved, make sure you're ready for prison.
    Daughters that make bad decisions will continue to do so, even while you're in the clink.
    This reminds me of a funny situation from when I was a teenager. My buddy was dating a girl (she was really hot BTW), and the girls father decided to come lay down the laws of dating his daughter...in public... in front of our crowd. He reminded me of a peacock.

Anywho, he meant well with his tough talk ( the father), but when he mentioned that if my buddy did her wrong then my buddy may face physical harm, my buddy (15 years old) proceeded to wipe the floor with him in front of us and his daughter, lol. She dumped him after that. I learned an important lesson that day, that going around threatening people may lead you to catching a beating, or that you better be able to follow through.

Sure wish we had cell phone video cameras then.

Boolit Buddy
    Someone like that, can never be trusted, or taken for granted. Do everything, within reason, for her protection. If she won't let you get guns, get her, at the least, a dual camera system, with stickers for each entrance, and get them up and running. Do everything, including checking on all laws, on what you can and can't do, for she safety. Pepper spray is also a must, for now, as anything , to slow him down.

Boolit Master
    If your daughter might try to rely on a chemical weapon,she might give plain old"Granny Parsons"ammonia a try.NOT diluted.A friend of my Moms used it and it was devastating on one B&E and one"Peeping Tom".Those two spent two days in the hospital before being taken to the county jail.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Get one of the kimber two shot pepper sprays. About $40 and will put him down long enough to get away.
    Then get a 38/357 revolver. Can purse carry safely unlike most semi. (Especially glocks and walther) and most purse carry, even though I'd suggest on body for this situation. Can get away if possible and still have gun without worrying about purse.
    I got my wife a taurus 605 and it works well. Use 38s if 357 are too strong. Better than 380. But let her pick. If on body a spectrum is small and concealable

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

New locks, deadbolts and an alarm on all outside access doors would be a good idea too along with some self defence training. And record any threatening phone calls she gets. Had an idiot coworker threaten an ex and he lost his firearms for a month and it cost him lawyer money too.

Boolit Master

My Wife and Daughter carry Lady smith 38's loaded with +p Buffalo Bore ammo and they both can keep em all on a 6 inch pie plate at 15 yards all day long. I taught them to put one in the chest and one in the head. That's the drill we practice without fail. I like revolvers better for CC especially if you are working with a new shooter or someone that won't practice. There's no slide to rack or a mechanical safety to manipulate and in case of a dud round the next one up is only a trigger pull away.

Moderator Emeritus

Conditor22,
    Welcome to the forum.

You don't mention what level of gun knowledge/experience your daughter has?
    with that said,
    I always suggest a revolver for newbies who want protection...simple to operate and less likely to have confusion about what's in the chamber. IMHO, self-defense loads in 38spl will get the job done.
    it appears I am not alone in my thoughts about revolvers...
    Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    My wife carries a little 5 shot Lady Smith in .38 spcl. She has it loaded with factory wadcutters, she can shoot it pretty well. She can't hold on to a light weight 9mm. The little revolver has a better grip for her and she can actually control it. Bash the revolver and wadcutters if you want but I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to her if she was mad. She can shoot it very well which is the key. She would carry a .22 before a 9mm. Oh, wait. she does. She often keeps a little NA "Bugout" in her purse.
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    LCR357 hammerless double action version - good trigger even on first shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    My Wife and Daughter carry Lady smith 38's loaded with +p Buffalo Bore ammo and they both can keep em all on a 6 inch pie plate at 15 yards all day long. I taught them to put one in the chest and one in the head. That's the drill we practice without fail. I like revolvers better for CC especially if you are working with a new shooter or someone that won't practice. There's no slide to rack or a mechanical safety to manipulate and in case of a dud round the next one up is only a trigger pull away.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

One thing I didn't put in my original post is that the Wife and Daughters Lady Smiths ARE NOT stubbies! They are 3" barreled guns. I think they are about as easy to carry and a whole lot easier to shoot!

Boolit Master
    I’d already be on a plane to visit, model 10 in my suitcase might be left behind in case I need it on the next trip.

She can’t legally carry it outside, but she can carry it around the house and it’s a solid solution for the nightstand.

BTW, no idea what the laws are in WA, you and she should understand them even if they must be ignored.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    New locks, deadbolts and an alarm on all outside access doors would be a good idea too along with some self defence training. And record any threatening phone calls she gets. Had an idiot coworker threaten an ex and he lost his firearms for a month and it cost him lawyer money too.
    This put new locks on all of the Doors tell her to keep her car keys handy too if she has a car alarm / panic button Nothing like a car alarm
    with flashing lights to help police find her house at night best of luck and tell her not to let him in when she is alone
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Semi Autos are still legal in WA, just that starting once that law takes effect, Semi-auto RIFLES will be a royal pain to buy/keep. (Older ones are grandfathered in though...)

If she's new to guns - definitely take her to a few stores or friends' and let her handle various Revolvers and Semi-Autos; Some people are wired to like one over the other. (I like Semi Autos slightly more, but can use any of them.)

I've seen women given good schooling, get GOOD with their handgun; We're talking "Which button do you want to take off the guy's shirt?" good.

I'd definitely suggest finding a good school to teach her the self-defense laws and help her learn shooting - You do NOT want her to end up in a "bad shoot" and then in prison, just because some (supposed) male decided to be a jerk; If she follows the laws, she's covered, so she needs to KNOW them.

I'm on the East Side, could let her look through what little I have for idea of what feels right to her, if that will help. (Renting many pistols at some gun shops is costly, some other ones it's one fee for renting any and all they have, one at a time.)

You'll want ammo she can be accurate with - There are tricks to catching why she's not accurate, if she is flinching, closing one (or both) eyes, doing "Pre-Ignition Syndrome" shoving the gun down/away from her, or "Cowboying" it upwards. Usually involving a dummy round in the magazine or cylinder, you see what the gun does when that comes under the hammer.

And she should PRACTICE, and dry fire drill a LOT for proficiency.

A good weapons light (doesn't have to be attached, you can hold it in the other hand) is a good thing for domestic violence situations, also.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a website run by a Seattle area based lady called the cornered cat that focuses on women's carry issues I believe she may also do classes.

If she is wanting to get a carry permit have her apply for it tomorrow as there is no training required but it does take 30 days to get (she can get training and buy a pistol in the meantime) as for a pistol most .380s are straight blowback designs so they tend to recoil as much or more than a 9mm in the same size pistol ( she can also shoot close to twice as much 9mm for the same ammo cost as .380)

Banned
    People need to stop suggesting chemical devices unless the device in question is standard police issue. Police products are stronger then civilian, and still don't get the job done if a criminal is on chemical enhancements.

Guns are called equalizers for a reason.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in the rent or borrow several different handguns in different calibers and styles. Let this start the process of deciding what's needed. The smaller guns have heavier snappier recoil than a larger heavier firearm does. You also have to take into account her views on this. If she dosnt feel this way then what ever you get her will be in a drawer or closet some where. SPrays and other chemical defense can be effective as can lights and sound.

I will say a well placed 22 or several of them can be very effective.

The first thing to do is harden the house, Add 2 dead bolts to the entry doors one above and one below the normal latch. Remove center screws from hinges and replace with a allen cap head screw drill mating side out for the head to fit in. These 2 mods greatly increase the doors ability to be busted in and slows down picking the locks open. add a lock and pins to bedroom doors to create a "safe" room for her. A peep hole viewer in entry doors or a camera system so she can see whos at the door. Create as many barriers as possible between the entry doors and the safe room. A bell on the doors ( similar to what stores used to have) to notify of entry. In the bed room "safe " room some snacks and drinks. a phone that cant be disabled. Cell phone. Even an unactuated phone will make calls to 911. Last is the pepper sprays / firearms.

The big thing is to make entry as hard as possible and access as tough as possible so she can hopefully just wait it out until police arrive to deal with it. In this way she comes off looking good in court. If he defeats the obstacles and gets into the safe room defeating the locked doors and she is made to use force it will look much better. Another thing to consider is He knows here she lives now. Would it be possible for her to move? Even just into another apartment in the same building. Makes Her a much harder target.

Hammerless .38 revolver. You can shove it in a bad guy’s belly and pull the trigger 5x without jamming, fire from a purse or coat pocket without jamming, easy to conceal, easy to handle...
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Well, N Seattle is in western Washington State, which isn't QUITE Kalifornia, completely, yet. If you are charged and tried in a self defense situation and are found not guilty, the state pays for your legal expenses. RCW 9A.16.110 - https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.110 - is that part of the law. You need to know the whole of the law though, to NOT do a bad shoot. And let's hope that it never comes to that!

I've also wondered about a cattle prod / Taser / etc. type weapon, the problem being that if someone has a knife and is fast, you don't really have any superiority of force there, not enough to intimidate them anyways; I don't know enough about the OP's Daughters' situation to say much here. I do know that Tasers (a) don't always work, and (b) sometimes kill the assailant, apparently.

Also - At night, there's a LOT to be said for having a 12 gauge and, should this jerk break in, instead of trying to clear her house alone, she could "Fort Up" behind the bed, lined up on the bedroom door with the 12 gauge, and see if he happens to try kicking the (LOCKED WITH MULTIPLE DEADBOLTS!) bedroom door down. (She WILL, if she's doing this, want to call 911, let them know where she is, -->>> AND have them tell the officers where she is, what she looks like, and what she should do once they arrive, so she doesn't get shot for pointing a gun at the officers. <<<-- If the dispatcher doesn't pass that information on to the responding officers, it can be BAD, so you want to make sure you specifically ask them to do that, and check again to ask them that they've done it. Could give the incoming officers a password or whatever, they can sit around a corner and call that out to you, OR, the dispatcher could tell her when they are ready for her to disarm and come out to them - Then she can set the weapons down and come out unarmed, so there's no reason for them to shoot her. Don't want her to become a statistic! No matter what, stay on the phone with the dispatcher, and know that it's recorded, so talk accordingly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast