Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Chinese Contrat Masuer-Looking for someone who knows

Boolit Master

Chinese Contrat Masuer-Looking for someone who knows

I don't have it here to post pictures, but my Son found a very heavily used Mauser that was supplied to China by Mauser under one of the Mauser contracts in the 1930's. I have examined it in detail. It is a normal large ring model 98-- everything standard. It has the stock that was typical of the Mauser K98k (side sling, firing pin removal device, etc). It has the proper Mauser banner on the receiver, numbers matching barrel and receiver, Chinese acceptance stamps on the receiver, barrel and stock. From pictures it is very clearly either a Mauser Standard Model 1933 or an early (1937-1939) K98k. Here's the catch: Both of these designs were sold to China in the 1930's. The difference was that most of the Standard Model were stamped "Standard Modell" on the side of the receiver. This one is not stamped Standard Modell-- the side of the receiver is unmarked. The K98k's sold to China had a Mauser Banner on the receiver and no markings on the side of the recever-- so may this is a K98k. The trouble is-- the caliber is 7 x 57. I know Mauser sometimes made the Standard Modell in 7 x 57-- but I've never heard of a K98k in 7 x 57. So-- any experts out there: Were there ever any K98k's sold in 7 x 57? Or-- were there Standard Modell rifles sold without the "Standard Modell" stamp on the side of the receiver?? Its not a big deal either way, because the rifle is not a collector. It has a replacement bolt and the muzzle has at some time been damaged and the crown machined back to fix the barrel - we're just curious.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    Ive seen several Mausers on gunbroker that are supposed to be k98ks chambered in 7x57. Some are also claimed to be vz24, and 24/47. Even seen one Yugo 48BO attributed to being a 7x47 with "Nazi 44" marking on receiver ring under Yugo crest.

The Chinese did buy many Mauser Standard model rifles, but they also made their own in great quantity in at least 5 different arsenals. Proof marks would be the primary method of identification, European or native Chinese manufacture. Yes, there were Czech-made 7x57 mm Mauser pattern rifles, and Mauser themselves made them. Brazilian '98s would be one example. Almost all rifles that I've seen that came from China were badly worn, but I've seen the actions of some pretty shabby specimens salvaged and re-barreled and re-stocked into nice sporting rifles. Like all of the various Mausers, when they were imported by such companies as Interarms and Century Arms Intl., they were brought into the country in some quantity, but then disappeared as they were sold out. Today it's rather uncommon to encounter a Chinese Mauser, and rare indeed in good condition. The Chinese weren't at all shy about faking markings, like the Mauser banner, on rifles and copies of 1896 Broomhandle pistols, so a close inspection is warranted. As far as I know all Mauser Standard Model rifles made in Germany had the Standard Model logo.
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 12-26-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Good info so far. Good point about the fake versions. I was able to examine very closely the Mauser Banner and it looks exactly correct (compared to pictures of correct ones). Also, it has the Chinese acceptance stamps are in the right locations for Mausers made in Germany and sold to China. And yes-- it is badly worn. The bolt, which is also worn, definitely is not the original (numbers don't match). The good news is that the action is smooth and locks up very nicely. So, I guess the only puzzle is, if it IS a Standard Model, which it seems to be, why doesn't it say "Standard Modell" on the side of the receiver? Could it be that, since this was a specific build contract for China, that Mauser did not stamp "Standard Model" on the receivers?
    Hick: Iron sights!

Here are a couple of excepts for you from "Mauser Bolt Rifle" by Ludwig Olsen, 3rd Edition: Pg. 183, "A cal. 7.9 mm short rifle, like the Standard-Modell except for markings, was produced by Mauser for the Chinese during the early 1930's, and Chinese arsenals produced a faithful copy of it known as the Model Chiang Kai shek. The Chinese copy was serviceable, but was not equal in workmanship and finish to the original Standard-Modell. Since many original and copy versions of this arm were acquired by the Chinese Communists, they saw extensive service during the Korean War.

Pg. 184, Many 7.9 mm short rifles produced for China by the Mauser Co. were the same as the German 98k carbine except that they were marked with the Nationalist Chinese seal consisting of a 12-pointed star enclosed by a circle. Presumably these rifles were sold to China after the Standard-Modell rifles were delivered.

Page 143 shows a photo of the Chinese Model of 1907, a long rifle very similar in appearance to the German Gew. '98 of WW I, without the Lange sight, and a photo of three members of the Chinese acceptance staff at the Mauser Works, circa 1907.

Some where, back in time, I've read more than one article about Chinese Mausers, and they treated the subject in much greater detail, but where they might be at the moment is a mystery. You may be able to develop more information on them by searching the internet.

Boolit Master
    the Banner guns were made for sale to many nations, with most SA exports being in 7X57, and most of the 1931-1933 chinese exports 8X57. truth is, the chinese bought anything they could, as there was varying political frap making them PNG from time to time. if the gun has chinese character impressed on the stock it will be a local service acceptance mark, denoting it's place of service acceptance. some marks were given in KMT times, and some in MZD times, so it's very confusing. i have had both chinese made an banner guns. the difference is notable.