WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 458 Lott 730 grain

Boolit Mold

458 Lott 730 grain

Hi all,

New here but not to reloading and not to cast boolits, just cast boolits with modern powders. I ordered some Matt's Bullets 730 grain .458 gas checked hard cast for use in 458 Lott. Looking for recommended guidelines for starting charges and appropriate powders. I did search the forum but did not find what I was looking for.

Powders on hand are: IMR 3031, H4895, H4198, BLC2, H335, IMR 4064. Powders in my area of Ohio I can find are most IMR, Hodgdon and Alliant powders. I don't have the Quick loads program. Goal is velocity with accuracy for maximum penetration and impact (knock down). Especially needing maximum penetration for solid bone. Obviously I will need to work up my own load for my own rifle CZ550 American Safari, but I need a starting point and perhaps data that someone has worked within. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Also will be working up a load for hard cast gas checked Lyman 550 grain (forget mould number but discontinued). Same powders, same inquiry.

First post so...about me. I live in central Ohio and am in law enforcement. On my 20th year of that. Shoulda been a firefighter.

Nate

Welcome to the forum, the only person that I can think of on here that’s loaded the big lead in the 458 Lott is ( Ironduke ). I checked and he hasn’t been active for a couple months. You might send him a message on here and wait for him to reply back.

In 2007 I did some testing for a commercial caster using a 458 Win Mag Ruger No. 1. The bullets were 720 grain WFNGC loaded to 1700 fps in Winchester cases. Powders used were IMR 4895, 4198 & 3031. Recoil was severe. If you want to know more, PM me.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to both. PM sent Tatume

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome aboard. I have done some work with Ruger #1 .458 WM bored out to .458 Lott. Have shot a few 500 monolith solids but only at various book loads. More than enough for me. Even factory .458 WM's were such recoil producers, I looked for a way to tame it all down. Reviewing my notes, I find only .458 WM 350 grainish load data which is not what you are looking for.

One, unrelated to your request, thing is how I turned it all into a real ***** cat of a shooter. Being a two piece stock, I was able to install a mercury recoil reducer tube in the rear stock. (There are a few tricks to make it work well.) Also, I shortened the rear stock and installed a soft pad. Together, they make shooting heavy loads a breeze. Your CZ is a one piece stock, but there are still ways to install a merc tube and, of course, installing a soft recoil pad is easy.

Best of luck

ps; John Ross just posted a video on him shooting a 4 bore. PM him. He seems to know about shooting the big casts.

Boolit Mold
    CZ has a cavity in stock for Mercury reducer. Just needs opened a bit more. Is offered standard for 505 gibbs

... recoil was severe ...

Seems to me that it has knock down capability at both ends!

I wonder how much an Ohio NOn-Resident License Tyrannosaur license is?
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    I wonder how much an Ohio NOn-Resident License Tyrannosaur license is?
    Haha. Brontosaurus.

The legal minimum cartridge is the 577 Tyrannosaur!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Tyrannosaur

Quote Originally Posted by T
    The legal minimum cartridge is the 577 Tyrannosaur!]
    Wow. Looks like you'd need the load data for .50BMG for that thing.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have shot the Lyman 462560 in a Ruger M77 458 Winchester magnum with a full bore load and it is about all you want ahold of out of sandbags from the bench

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead 500 View Post
    I have shot the Lyman 462560 in a Ruger M77 458 Winchester magnum with a full bore load and it is about all you want ahold of out of sandbags from the bench
    I have that bullet coming as well for use in the Lott. Do you remember or have the load available for it? I need a starting load with appropriate powders.

Sent you a message on the Lyman

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    The legal minimum cartridge is the 577 Tyrannosaur!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Tyrannosaur
    Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy
    750 gr (49 g) Monolithic Solid 2,480 ft/s (760 m/s) 10,240 ft⋅lbf (13,880 J)

My lord - 10,240 ft-lb...

You better own a wheel weight factory if you cast the 730 grain, that’s 9.5 bullets to a pound of lead

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I suspect we're in "It's worse to SEND this than to receive it, almost" territory with some of these rounds, unless it's in a pintle-mounted weapon form?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I suspect we're in "It's worse to SEND this than to receive it, almost" territory with some of these rounds, unless it's in a pintle-mounted weapon form?
    Well, a .50 bmg at 20 lbs on one platform, 750 grain bullet at 3000 fps wasn't bad to me. I'm at at a 10lb rifle 730 grain bullet with likely under 2000 fps. I think I'll be okay. I've shot the Win Mag several times and recoil, while stiff wasn't uncomfortable for me. I'm 6' 240 and powerlift...if mass type makes a difference.

Banner Sponsor

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Did you get some load data? I have quickload and could run some numbers if you want, but I'll need the bullet length and loaded length.
    Glenn.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Glenn. I will PM you probably Friday about it? No data yet. Even JD Jones didn't really have any ideas for me yet except quick loads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast