Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 458 Lott 730 grain

Banner Sponsor

Ranger Rick had his own molds and cast his own, and lubed them with Carnauba Red. His first webpage was on my site.
    When he went out of business, he put many of the molds up for auction and I ended up with several of them, but we had a fire in our shop several years ago and most of my 100+ molds were destroyed in the fire.
    Matt's Bullets is casting a pretty good selection of Big Bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I remember these and Ranger Rick, pretty sure someone at Accurate Reloading Forum was shooting these out of the Lott at 1900 fps, seems like H335 or AA 2230 powder was used.
    1900 fps!! Yikes

Boolit Grand Master

That would be a thumper I'm betting!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    whoa. interested in details. i have a cz550 in 458lott that has only seen solids through it. would love a cheaper alternative too!

Galena Guru

plenty of good casts out there and some great moulds if you want to throw your own .. 90% of whats run run thru my CZ550 Safari Classic has been cast ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HollandNut View Post
    plenty of good casts out there and some great moulds if you want to throw your own .. 90% of whats run run thru my CZ550 Safari Classic has been cast ..
    Majority of mine will be cast as well. Have some 730's loaded up for tests and while I'm snowed in this weekend I'll work on my 550's as well.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HollandNut View Post
    Majority of mine will be cast as well. Have some 730's loaded up for tests and while I'm snowed in this weekend I'll work on my 550's as well.

Boolit Buddy
    It looks like from my inquiries that Rick had some legal issues and unfortunately took an unscheduled all expenses paid vacation.

Boolit Master
    We’ve shot that bullet in a Ruger 458 #1. I think the load was 58 grains of 3031. Please check that Glenn. Rather odd results though. Wally shot into a Texas hill country dirt(?) pile. Made a cavity I could wiggle my fist in. Shot one later into a sand bank of Wyoming. Same results and no bullet was found or pieces. ??? Me thinks the bullet came back out. Bullet tracks in the sand here are easy to follow and recover a slug. Too bad we couldn’t find a hog to thump with that bullet. Still got the mold if anybody wants it......

I had a Lott for a brief time but I honestly do not see the point of a solid much heavier than 550gr. You have to drive the 600gr+ bullets quite a bit slower & that can actually affect penetration. Not to mention recoil goes way up.
    I sold mine, just too much of a good thing in a 9.5# rifle. I went to a 404jeffery for my thumper rig. So far, two shots, two cape buffalo. Plenty of horsepower.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    needing load for 1/8th pound slug? HOW MUCH DID YOU FEED THE DEER

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    We’ve shot that bullet in a Ruger 458 #1. I think the load was 58 grains of 3031. Please check that Glenn. Rather odd results though. Wally shot into a Texas hill country dirt(?) pile. Made a cavity I could wiggle my fist in. Shot one later into a sand bank of Wyoming. Same results and no bullet was found or pieces. ??? Me thinks the bullet came back out. Bullet tracks in the sand here are easy to follow and recover a slug. Too bad we couldn’t find a hog to thump with that bullet. Still got the mold if anybody wants it......
    Which mold is it, the 730 or 462560? PM me as I'd might be interested in it.
    Joe
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Here is the guy in Australia that will make the exact bullet mold for what you want. (9th bullet mold down on page)
    http://www.castbulletengineering.com...age=3&Items=12
    best of luck

Boolit Master
    Does anyone here know what a "hardness test" is used for? We design for strength (tension, compression, or shear, and yield or ultimate), we design for ductility, we design for buckling, we design for stiffness (ask me about a football stadium that had to be redesigned because it was not stiff enough to withstand the "we will...we will....rock you" foot stomping chant), we design for a lot of things. But have you ever heard of anyone designing for hardness (there is actually one case I know of where we do design for hardness, but it is so rare that most engineers will never run across it)? If it is so rarely used in design, why are hardness tests (and there are more than a half dozen kinds) used universally by engineers worldwide?

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    Does anyone here know what a "hardness test" is used for?
    If it is so rarely used in design, why are hardness tests (and there are more than a half dozen kinds) used universally by engineers worldwide?
    It can be used to predict tensile strength, wear resistance or any number of design characteristics where it is not practical or possible to test the piece to destruction.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to ask you, gentlemen; What is the intended target for these, shoulder fired, wheel-less, field pieces? My Lott lives a much tamer life and still I can't imagine the beast that would not fall to it. If it's a case of "just 'cause", I'm all in favor of watching and wish you well, but my old bones couldn't take it. If possible, post a video!

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I have to ask you, gentlemen; What is the intended target for these, shoulder fired, wheel-less, field pieces? My Lott lives a much tamer life and still I can't imagine the beast that would not fall to it. If it's a case of "just 'cause", I'm all in favor of watching and wish you well, but my old bones couldn't take it. If possible, post a video!
    I used to have a 458LOTT and it was just to much for me, shooting supposed to be fun!!!. I imagine when you have a 10ft griz heading towards you one might wonder if He has enough rifle. Heard of one guides client getting cold feet and running off on Him.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Since it appears I'm pioneering this bullet (at least willing to share) in the 458 Lott I will be posting video and my findings. My reasons for a 730 grain bullet? Genesis 6:1-4 and Matthew 24:37. Have a 454 Casull with 360's for backup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123