Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: DIY HD Push-Button Swivel "Flush Cups" with limited rotation

DIY HD Push-Button Swivel "Flush Cups" with limited rotation

A while back I stumbled upon an american-made flush-mount sling swivel system by Grovtec that allowed me to have a sling mount that would allow the bottom of the butt stock ride a bag without hanging up on the exposed stud under recoil.

One minor annoyance was that originally, there was nothing to prevent the factory swivels from turning in the socket and the sling would twist up after a long walk in the field. Later, Grovtec added a variety of options to limit how much they'd rotate but they want $5 apiece. I figured I'd try my hand at making my own.

Using the existing push-button swivel as a template, I drew up a limited-rotation flushcup using CAD software to get some dimensions to make on my lathe/mill. Just drill a 3/8" hole, face it, part it and off to the mill for a little internal cutting with an 1/4" endmill.

They work great and are inexpensive to reproduce using a 3' section of 9/16-18 threaded rod. According to the CAD model they allow about 33˚ of rotation. I touched them up a little with some cold blue and installed them in a few of my stocks that occasionally get the sling tangled. Made for an entertaining couple hours last weekend.

Last edited by McFred; 12-29-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Very nice job...

How do you install the threaded cups? I drill and tap and use acraglass gel to lock the cups in place. What thread pitch did you make these?
    Last edited by BK7saum; 12-29-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Be careful, no buying or selling outside S&S. Looks like a great idea, but for me the first set would cost more then 5 bucks. Not sure what a lathe and mill would cost but I bet more then that. and the wife might suggest I was crazy.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Be careful, no buying or selling outside S&S. Looks like a great idea, but for me the first set would cost more then 5 bucks. Not sure what a lathe and mill would cost but I bet more then that. and the wife might suggest I was crazy.
    Minerat, that was a joke. I see now that it looks like an attempt to circumvent the rules, but come on. This site used to be way more laid back before it became "mainstream". Just like the good ol USofA. Too much big government, lol.

I was congratulating him on a job well done and then added the last as more of a praise that they are sure nice enough that I wish I had them instead of the standard grovetecs.

Anyway, McFred...it is an extremely well done job.

And yes, Minerat, thank you for the warning and not slapping an infraction for my additional attempt at a praise. I wish I had the machines and tooling to do some of that. Maybe one day...

BK, I took it as you intended (wink, wink) and was just trying to keep anyone from getting cross wise with the rules.

McFred, sorry for hijacking your thread, you have a great idea and looks like it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    How do you install the threaded cups? I drill and tap and use acraglass gel to lock the cups in place. What thread pitch did you make these?
    Installation is a drill-and-tap affair. If you're careful with the tap you can just have the cup bottom out in the hole and glue will be unnecessary. Threading the cups in is easy with the QD swivel itself. Since I had already installed the Grovtec sockets before, I matched the threaded OD (9/16"-18) and used some glue to keep them in place.

There are less invasive designs that have smaller parts if you don't want to mar a beautiful piece of wood. The "heavy duty" stuff is larger and potentially less aesthetically pleasing. I'm sort of married to the HD flavor and all my stuff are tools to be enjoyed and function is more important than form; no priceless safe queens here.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat
    I appreciate the positive comments.

If your household has more than one automobile then you could have easily afforded a mill and lathe, it's just a matter of financial priority. In my case I appreciate the ability to make and modify things. The hourly rate of a commercial fab shop will eat your lunch if you're in the habit of making/modifying things. As such the price of tools gets easier to justify over time. There's no such thing as too many tools.

Otherwise, you Mods do rule with a heavy hand regarding commerce. Is Cast Boolits Inc. publicly traded? Are shareholders expecting those quarterly profits? I've had a number of S&S WTS threads locked and not one rule was broken. The suggestion was for me to pay for a vendor/sponsor fee to have a garage sale. Selling things at or below my cost precludes me from "profiting" from any sales. I am not nor do I expect to become a "vendor" to CBI.

Have a happy New Year.